High gravity after two weeks in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terickson

Reaction score
Hello all,

Two weeks ago (10/3 to be exact), I brewed up an extract milk stout kit, with lactose sugar obviously. Attained an OG of 1.047 (target was 1.051 but oh well). Target FG is around 1.015-1.016 as it is a sweeter stout. When it was at its most active fermentation, the sanitizer bucket for the blowoff was like a jacuzzi, it was going pretty crazy.

I checked the gravity on Saturday 10/15 and it read 1.024. Got me concerned thinking it isn't attenuating like it should. So I check today which is Tuesday and it is at 1.022, so maybe it's just taking a while for the yeast to finish up.

Now it does call for a three week secondary which I will do, adding cocoa nibs about two weeks before bottling.

Should I swirl the carboy a bit just to rouse some of the yeast so it can hopefully hit the target FG, or will this take care of itself when it's in secondary?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

edit:

yeah, go ahead and secondary. There is still fermentation happening, but it should be just fine...

OR

just leave it in the primary, add nibs 2 weeks before bottling, why secondary?

It was recommended in the instructions, but I'm hearing more and more that it might not be necessary. It's a lower ABV beer so I would understand not doing so.

How long would be too long in primary at the very least?

How did you measure the gravity? Did you use a hydrometer or did you use a refractometer? A common problem, I see happening a lot, is people using a refractometer to measure gravity after yeast has been pitched, which is not accurate when alcohol is present. Also, some will suggest just using a correction spreadsheet or software...but they are never going to be as accurate as a calibrated hydrometer.

Hydrometer. Took an OG reading after chilling the wort, before pitching the yeast. It was Safale S-04 dry yeast... and that's another thing I didn't do was hydrate the yeast before pitching, just sprinkled on top.

I'd say just give it time. I haven't brewed extract in years but I think I remember reading somewhere that it tends to stall attenuation around 1.020 (someone correct me if this is inaccurate), it probably just needs to get over that hump before it finishes.

Swirl your carboy before you rack it to another bucket. It achieves the same thing but you'll have more yeast in suspension if you keep it in primary.

It was recommended in the instructions, but I'm hearing more and more that it might not be necessary. It's a lower ABV beer so I would understand not doing so.

How long would be too long in primary at the very least?

Okay, leaving the beer for 6-8 weeks would be fine, to be honest. People may agree, disagree. It's fine. there might be no benefit, but it will not hurt that beer (others may be hurt, like an IPA, but not this one).

I would leave it.

My reason's I secondary: hop bombs, beers with a 1/2 pound of hops or more. This let's me get the beer off the trub and into a glass container so I can see how the beer is clearing (I like the hop bits in the primary). Makes it easier to bottle for me as well since there can be 2" of trub or more on the bottom.

I let my beers stay in the recommended amount, and then some. Normal would be 3 weeks. I have only had 1 batch or almost bottle bombs. Almost.... due to to much priming sugar, not bottling to soon) 3 seeks for 7 down, 5 weeks, 10 down, i have never brewed a beer above 10% so not sure what I would do with that... I also mainly use US-05 which I am very familiar with.

Back