High final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaner72

Reaction score
Edit: I am using a refractometer for my gravity readings. I just read that you have to use a formula to get the final gravity due to alcohol being in the wort. I broke my hydrometer so cant use that as a back up. So who knows what my final gravity is....I might just cold crash it and bottle in a few days i guess.

I brewed an irish red ale back on June 22. I used
6lbs pale ale malt
3lbs 4 ounces munich malt
2lbs 8 ounces rye malt
4ounces roasted barley
1 ounce challenger hops
1 ounce fuggles hops
yeast white labs wlp013 london ale.

I used a 65l robobrew. Mash temp was 155 degrees for an hour. Started with just over 8 gallons of wort and finished with 6.5 gallons in the fermenter. i used an ice cooler and pump to run ice water thru the wort chiller. I was able to get the wort down to about 80 degrees within 20 to 30 minutes. I have a glycol chiller, the stasis, that then cooled it down to 68 degrees and pitched the yeast. I am using the catalyst fermenter. This allowed me to remove the trub after a few days in the fermenter...this left me with 5.5 gallons. I only aerated by shaking after pouring it in. I also used a yeast starter. normally i use dme, but this time used a proper yeast starter. I let mix on a stir plate for a little over 24 hours....and honestly it never looked like it got going like it did with dme. Oh and i used distilled water with no additions...and my ph was too low, but i didnt have anything to correct this...ph was around 5.0. The original gravity was high, 1.61....the target was 1.056. It has been in the fermenter for about 25 days.....ive been busy at work and havent had the time to bottle yet. But when I checked the final gravity...thisis the third time in a week, its sitting on 1.030. final gravity was supposed to be 1.016. Will the beer still be ok? It smells great. I have never had an irish ale before...i am brewing this for a buddy...but it doesnt taste bad neither. any suggestions? i was going to cold crash today, add some gelatin and then bottle in a few days. I have brewed 7 times before, but this is the first on the robobrew. I have never missed my gravity readings by more then a point or two....and i have always used distelled water. really the only change in my brewday is the robobrew...and i thought the stable temperatures would make for a better brew. ANy suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciate it

Last edited:
Edit: I am using a refractometer for my gravity readings. I just read that you have to use a formula to get the final gravity due to alcohol being in the wort.

Yes, you need to use a refractometer calculator. There are several on line.

So who knows what my final gravity is....

You would know, if you use a calculator.

Yes, you need to use a refractometer calculator. There are several on line.

You would know, if you use a calculator.
Ok, so i figured out how to use brewers friend calculator. I was off by .05 on my og and it seems thats what I am off by on my fg. So i am happy with that. FG eneded up being 1.021 after using the calculater....it was supposed to be 1.016.

FWIW, I struggled with high final gravity for a while. It turned out that my thermeter was way off and my mash temp was 8 degrees higher than I thought. When I changed thermometers, my FG's dropped to what I expected.

Latest posts

Back