High Final Gravity (with lactose)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Improbable

Reaction score
I'm currently doing a batch of Northern Brewer's Chocolate Milk Stout. It's been in primary for about two weeks, and I was hoping to rack to secondary and add the cacao, but I'm concerned the gravity is still pretty high.

My OG was 1.051, just what the recipe specifies. After two weeks, I'm only down to 1.025. I understand the lactose is supposed to raise it a bit, but should it really raise it this much? I have been fermenting in the low 60s, which is just below the optimum temps for this yeast.

Steeping grains:
.25 lbs English Extra Dark Crystal
.75 lbs Fawcett Pale Chocolate Milk
Fermentables:
6 lbs Dark malt syrup
1 lb Lactose
Hops:
1 oz Cluster (60 min)
.5 oz Cluster (30 min)

Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

Let it go a couple more days and check gravity again if it drops leave it for longer. Never used lactose so im not sure how much it would raise gravity. 1.025 seems pretty high though.

Lactose will keep it up a bit, but I definitely think it will fall more unless the fermentation is stuck. You might considering swirling the fermenter to rouse the yeast just to be sure there is enough yeast in suspension.

Warm it up! Your yeasts are shivering and just aren't able to finish the job. Once the easy sugars are eaten, the fast ferment that raises the temperature and creates all those interesting off flavors is over and the yeast need some warmth. Let it come up to the low to mid 70's for a week or more and see it your FG doesn't go down.

In my experience 1.025 is just about right for 5 gallons of milk stout with a lb of lactose dissolved in it. Let it sit in primary. 3-4 weeks to be sure. In the mean time RDWHAHB. It sounds like its just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

It doesn't seem too high to me - I do a milk stout that ends up around 1.020 or so. http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/sweet-stout.html

You are using extract which will often end up a little higher plus the lb of lactose. Also, I wouldn't raise the temps up to the mid-70s, that's too high and you're asking for off flavors. If you are concerned about a stuck fermentation (although I don't think that's what you've got), raise the temps to 70 at the most.

In my experience 1.025 is just about right for 5 gallons of milk stout with a lb of lactose dissolved in it. Let it sit in primary. 3-4 weeks to be sure. In the mean time RDWHAHB. It sounds like its just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

What he said. I did NB's Chocolate Stout in May. OG was 1.050, FG when I bottled a month later (taken before adding the priming sugar) was 1.027.

Fred

Sounds like my Burton ale. OG 1.065,FG 3rd week still 1.020. I was hoping to get mine lower too. Like yours,it may well be done. I roused the yeast a little on mine to make sure it's done. I say try that & give it at least till Wednesday to see if it tests any lower.

Its probably done. I did the same kit a few months back and it finished up at 1.021. Let it sit for a few more days then check the gravity again if its the same go ahead rack to secondary and add you cacao nibs.

Back