High FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwuebben

Reaction score
I brewed an extract batch of NB Irish red ale. I dont have a secondary fermentor yet so instead I let it ferment in the primary for three weeks like recipe had advised. So, i was a bit surprised when i took the FG reading which was 1.020. The OG was 1.048. I was expecting to see a FG reading somewhere near 1.010. The sample i measured with smelled great, tasted great although it seemed really sweet. I am thinking my yeast pussed out. Any thoughts.

What did you use for yeast? I would just wait a couple more days and take another gravity, maybe it's just taking a while.

Yea I'd say your yeast has stalled. You can try to rouse it by swirling the yeast and bringing the temp up, shoot for 75 degrees F.

I just had the same issue with an American amber with almost the exact same gravity readings. I used Windsor yeast which apparently does not have a high attenuation. I bottled mine at 1.020 and it turned out just fine.

1.02 FG on an OG of 1.048 seems awfully high. If you already bottled, I would make sure your bottles are in a box and away from anything you don't want to get beer over. I suspect you have a potential for bottle bombs. That is less than 60% attenuation, which seems quite low.

It was Danstar Nottingham ale dry yeast. I just sprinkled it on top. The airlock had good activity within 24 of pitching, and still had frequent activity up to the third week and then tapered off to very little activity during the mid to late part of the third week of fermenting.

You should really rehydrate your dry yeast before pitching. Half of the yeast cells die if you pitch without rehydrating.

Exact same thing just happened to me with the True Brew porter extract kit. OG at 1.051, bottled at 1.021 after almost three weeks in primary. Really vigorous fermentation too. Like, cleaning krausen off my ceiling vigorous. Not sure what's up

Back