High FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylock

Reaction score
My first batch: I did a extract kit with 2# of specialty grain. I transfered over to secondary a week ago and took a reading of 1.020. I took another reading out of secondary and got the same reading of 1.020. This seems high to me, what are causes of high FG and is there anything I can do about it?

Edit: Forgot to mention its an Amber Ale

Look up the attenuation rate of the yeast. If it's 65%, say, then you multiply that by 62 in your case and you should get your FG.

If it's too high, it could be that you burnt your wort some, didn't have a robust fermetation (ie underpitched) or somehow damaged your yeast. Regardless, it's probably still good beer. Just a little sweet. Enjoy!

I had more than a few extract beers that just would NOT get under 1.020, no matter what I did. It may be a bit sweeter than you planned, but if it's unchanging over a period of time, it will be safe to bottle.

I'm not sure exactly why some extracts stop at 1.020, but we've talked about it several times on this forum. I wasn't alone in having the dreaded "1.020 curse"!

Where exactly do you find your yeast's attenuation rate? For my next batch I will be using SafAle US-05. I looked on the Northern Brewer site and on the SafeAlle site but that information doesn't seem to be there. What am I missing?

Where exactly do you find your yeast's attenuation rate? For my next batch I will be using SafAle US-05. I looked on the Northern Brewer site and on the SafeAlle site but that information doesn't seem to be there. What am I missing?

Go to the manufacturers website.

Here's the link to your yeast's info.

Wyeast Laboratories. British Ale™ 1098

You have an attenuation rate of 73-75%, which would mean, based of an OG of 1.062 you could have an FG of anywhere between 1.016- 1.017 (multiply 62 x 25% or 27%).

So really, 1.020 is pretty close to dead-on.

You probably didn't reach absolute full attenuation because of temp conditions or because perhaps you didn't aerate well or you didn't have a starter. But the truth is, 1.020 is pretty close to 1.017. So you're fine!

If you want a lower FG, then use a yeast with a higher attenuation rate WLP-001, Cal Ale yeast has an 80% attenuation. But then the flavor will be different.

Enjoy your beer. Sounds like you did fine.

Some extracts just won't ferment below a certain value.
If that is the cause of your problem (and I'm not saying it is), you may get better results by switching the brand of extract.

-a.

The ingredients that came with the kit seemed pretty bottom teir so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause.

I took another reading today and it was 1.020 but man did it taste good. I think I will bottle this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back