High FG (increased ?!?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdprice3

Reaction score
Recently brewed an IPA extract kit with an SG of 1.068 (TG 1.062). I forgot to write down the gravity before cold crashing, but im sure it was 1.016 (EG 1.014). Well, I just transferred to my bottling bucket and am getiting a FG of 1.028. Something is obviously off here... my primary concern is bottle bombs. I would leave it in the bottling bucket, but im concerned about doing that since there's now a chance of oxidizing or infection due to the transfer. Yeast was Safale Us-05. Any suggestions? I dont have any yeast on hand and cant travel today to get more yeast.

Have you added the priming sugar yet? That would increase the FG due to the sugar

How long did you let this ferment in the primary? Did you pitch healthy yeast? Did you take a measurement of FG after or before you poured your bottling sugar in the bottling bucket?

Ah. Would the priming sugar have that large of an effect? I had a brain fart and transferred/added sugar before getting my test sample (normally sample first, but didn't this time). It was in primary for 17 days and cold crashed for 5 days. The previous gravity check was before cold crashing

Are you using a hydrometer? Did you temperature correct the SG reading, if the beer was still at cold crash temperature?

And account for the priming sugar, @mcodville, is this was added before the SG reading.

Ah. Would the priming sugar have that large of an effect? I had a brain fart and transferred/added sugar before getting my test sample (normally sample first, but didn't this time). It was in primary for 17 days and cold crashed for 5 days. The previous gravity check was before cold crashing

Something really seems off here.

Unless you used a few pounds of priming sugar, no, it would not make that big of a difference.

One of the readings is off.

Either the one you just took or the earlier one that you didn't write down.

Priming sugar will have a minimal effect on the gravity (+ ~0.001) reading which would not explain what you are seeing. This assumes you took the sample after adding the primer and allowed even mixing of the beer and primer to occur.

Samples too cold at bottling could lead to an error. warm the sample to the hydrometer's calibration point.

Temperature corrections can be inaccurate. I like to cool/warm them to 60F whenever I am taking one.

Why did you warm up the beer? It can lead to increased off gassing and more sediment being put back in suspension.

Sample was 77f?

1.028 @77F is 1.029 or 1.030 depending on the hydrometer's calibration point (68F or 60F)

This is high but adding more yeast is unlikely to help. The fermentable sugars are gone. You could try a different yeast.

I would bottle it up and move on to the next batch.

The sample got that warm sitting out as I was trying to figure out what went wrong. Would normally keep it at fermentation temperature. And it's going to warm up regardless, no? (eg while bottle conditioning). The out of resuspension due to temperature change would seem negligible compared that caused by moving the bucket for bottling. Once I took the bucket out of the fridge I didn't move it. 1.028 was already corrected for temperature.

Gotcha on the example being warm, not the full batch of beer.

With and SG of 1.068 (what does TG 1.062 mean?) and an FG of 1.028 you'll still have a decent beer albeit one that's a bit sweeter than you would have preferred.

Sometimes extract beers can finish a bit higher than the designer planned as some extracts will contain higher amounts of crystal malts than others.

Based on the numbers and 17 days of fermentation before cold-crashing there is nothing more you could do I reckon.

Perhaps the earlier reading was 1.026 rather than the 1.016 you visually noted. That's all that makes sense really. A minor brain-fart in your reading of it.

Did you dehydrate the yeast before pitching it. That's one possibility for it finishing so high if you didn't rehydrate. It's a stretch though. Combined with a yeast packet that may have been old or poorly stored and the high FG could result.

I presume it's all bottled up by now since you primed in the bottling bucket. I think it will be fine. Bottle bombs are not likely. I'd drink it.

Thanks. TG =Target Starting Gravity. And misreading the gravity before crashing does seem like the other plausible explanation - was expecting something near 1.014 so maybe I just read it that way. I did rehydrate the yeast before pitching. Just finished bottling. Worst case scenario, I have beer. Best case, I have good or better beer.

Back