High FG from the cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobanon

Reaction score
So I had a stout and a porter I parti-gyled three weeks ago and I checked gravity tonight and my stout (US-05) that started at 1.065 is about 1.030 and my porter (WLP004) which was 1.045 is about 1.020. I'm thinking it got too cold in the garage where I keep them sans insulation or temp control (risky, I know) and maybe the yeast went dormant. I moved them to a warmer closet and added some boiled simple syrup tonight an will check for activity in two days. Anyone doubt if the yeasties will come back? Does super cold yeast (I'm thinking as low as 40oF) tend to just die?

Yeast are pretty hard to kill. I think they simply went dormant. You may have to swirl your fermenter to get a little more yeast back in suspension. They might like temperatures in the mid to upper 70's now.

emprbasist said:
How long do you think it was down in the 40F range?

Maybe a couple of nights in a row. I brew at my folks house so it's hard to monitor it regularly

warm them up and rouse the yeast and they should get busy again, they did not die! After all, recommended storage of yeast is the refrigerator:D

duboman said:
warm them up and rouse the yeast and they should get busy again, they did not die! After all, recommended storage of yeast is the refrigerator:D
+1. People keep yeast slants in the freezer. They're just dormant.

Maybe you should try lagering in the garage :mug:

heckels said:
+1. People keep yeast slants in the freezer. They're just dormant.

Maybe you should try lagering in the garage :mug:

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered it. I'm just worried about possible temp swings as I live in GA and our winters are rarely consistent day-to-day. My Keezer will be running a maximum efficiency though! :D

Back