High fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darioklc

Reaction score
Hi!
I've brewed a couple days ago. Everything was fine until the third day of fermentation.
I accidentally pulled my temperature sensor and fermentation temperature went to around 90°F... I've noticed that the next day...
So, beer was 1 day on 90°F.
What should I expect from that beer? Will my yeast survive so that it can carbonate the beer? Or should I throw that beer away? :mad:
Thank you!

I'd let it ride at this point. If you cooled it down too quick your yeast may take an early nap, 90 didn't kill em though. You may need to let this one age a while, the off flavors will probably settle down over time.

What kind of beer is it? What yeast?

The yeast thrived at that temperature; but may have made some off flavors.
Expect the beer to have some Belgium or farmhouse notes. If it is a Belgium beer then you should be fine. Malty and dark beers may be able to cover it up as well.
Unless it has a really bad sulfur smell/taste that doesn't go away in a few weeks, it should still turn out very drinkable.

most off flavors and esters are produced during the lag/growth phase and early fermentation. day 3 is still early but a lot of the yeast work has already happened. its not ideal but there is a good chance you should be fine.
and dont worry about the yeast dying, like mredge said, they love warmer temps in that range.
what strain?

What temperature did your actual beer get to?

That's the important part. After 3 days of fermentation, I think you'll likely be ok actually. Most yeast off flavors occur during their metabolism of oxygen, which should have been used up after 3 days, so you might have no noticeable effect at all. If you killed your yeast, you will likely have autolysis flavors. No way to know until you taste it.

What temperature did your actual beer get to?

That's the important part. After 3 days of fermentation, I think you'll likely be ok actually. Most yeast off flavors occur during their metabolism of oxygen, which should have been used up after 3 days, so you might have no noticeable effect at all. If you killed your yeast, you will likely have autolysis flavors. No way to know until you taste it.

Beer did actually went to 90F. Disaster... :)
But hope that most od fermentation was done. Maybe it would be smart to check gravity to see where it is...
Beer is simple american brown ale with US05.

I don't think it will be a disaster.
It will likely be finished by now; yeast probably plowed through sugar while it was warm.
US05 is a clean yeast strain but if esters were created the American brown has a good malt backbone that will cover up most of them.
I would give it some time to settle and clean up; an extra week or 2 before bottling and the yeast will clean up some its mess.

Best of luck with it. Definitely worth finishing out and hoping for the best, but in my experience WLP001 (comp to US05) gets pretty bad when it gets too hot. It will have a good time fermenting, but may have too many esters to be very drinkable. I am on the verge of dumping a keg of IPA with 001 because of the same issue. For what its worth, mine was too hot from the get go; hopefully you missed the worst of it since your temp went up later and your dealing with a darker beer. I'm pulling for you, let us know how it turns out.

Wouldn't be too worried. Over the summer I had a problem with my heat pump the very day after brewday. For a few days I had to turn off the AC when I went to work so the temperature in my house was getting up to around 80. Still turned out great.

If you rehydrate a dry yeast such as US-05 in warm water at 90F, the yeast goes wild and starts foaming and really liking the warm spa like environment its in. In answer to your question, yeast LOVES that temp and will not die off by any means. The downside is that yeast creates some not so great by products at these temps, and these byproducts translate into off flavors in your beer. As many folks already said in this thread, do not be too overly anxious to get this beer in the bottle or keg. Personally, I'd let it sit in the primary an extra week just to let the yeast clean itself up some. You'll be surprised what difference an extra week will make. You'll still have plenty of activity left in this yeast to carb your bottles once priming sugar is added.

Latest posts

Back