high alcohol beer NO TASTE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
Ok... Follow me here... lol

First... I am now officially a brewer at a local brewery in my area... wahoooooo

But... back to the matter at hand. We want to brew a very high alcohol beer with no taste... Reason you say? Our license does not allow for us to serve mixed drinks and a lot of customers on the way to the beach always ask.... So we thought it would be cool to do something with beer, perhaps an orangy beer to make orange crushes... etc... any thoughts on a grain bill, and also... what yeast do you think... any suggestions are welcome..

thanx

Well personally I think the last thing I'd want is a high ABV beer at the beach. Mostly due to the sun exposure and how drunk you can get. BUT, what you want sounds terrible. Why would a brewery want their name on swill? Your license allows you to brew beers but does it allow you to make cider? If so, do that.

Otherwise, brew up a high ABV pilsner with some orange zest and use that SD super yeast or Denny's 50.

not my idea.... but it wouldnt be beer... but something you mix with something... yeah... yuck... but they want us to try... dont think we can make cider... and it would have to be mostly grain i assume correct?

thanx

It seems you're trying to make a high abv mixer but beer just isn't conducive to that approach (in general). I'd think a beer brewed to go specifically in a raddler perhaps marketed as 'Summer Raddler - With handmade lemonade' could be a real boom. Just about the best summer beer I've ever experienced has been Berliner Weisse made via the sour mash technique. It mixes very well with sweet syrups like grenadine or even an orange reduction. Not hard at all to figure out a way of marketing Orange, Pomegranite, Lemon/Lime, & Blackberry drinks based on this method. They could also be advertised as 'light/low cal' options due to the low alcohol content generally associated with berliner weisse.

Personally I think that the fermented lemonade idea would be best. It is something I was wanting to try to brew this summer for pool parties. I also think fermented cranberry juice would be great! Maybe even a little dme in it or corn sugar to boost abv.

Of course something like this CAN be done, but count me among those who ask why.
I presume it has something to do with people who want Bud Light, but want to seem they're sophisticated by drinking the local craft beer.
How high alcohol are you looking for? 6%? 10%? 20%?
I would think that a bill of some base malt, probably 6-row, a ton of adjuncts of corn, rice or some such, and a minimal hop bill, with appropriate high-alcohol yeast should do it.

Ok... Follow me here...
...can't quite...
We want to brew a very high alcohol beer with no taste... So we thought it would be cool to do something with beer, perhaps an orangy beer to make orange crushes...
????? You want "no taste," then state "orangy beer" ....???? Just make beer, let 'em go to a bar if they want something else...

I don't get what is so hard to understand. My friends and I don't always want to drink the same thing - much less a car full of people at the beach.

The first think I would ask is if you can make wine.

I would think high % apple wine, sugar water, and hard lemonade (similar to sugar water)

Can you freeze concentrate?

High alcohol tolerance, clean yeast, 50% sugar adjunct, few to no hops, high carbonation. Won't taste good by itself, but you're mixing it with orange soda, so...

Alcohol isn't hard to make, beer is a little more work.

But yes, your ABV is going to be the limitation here. What you really want is wine. If you aren't allowed to make wine, you're still going to run into complications based on your municipality's definition of wine, if you get the ABV up high enough.

well... i should have just not asked if i was gonna get the "WHY" " I Dont understand???" lol But hey... thanx for the input to those who get it... No... u cant apply for another type of license... we can make as much beer as we want... no limitations... so thats why... and when i said no taste... well... of course its gonna have taste... but the idea was many customers have asked for this and we thought it would be a good idea... But keep driving to Milton... They are awesome... our little area has tons of great breweries and we all help each other out...

Nah.. cant make wine either... but I got some good ideas from here. Thanx all

Great idea... not sure on the freezing... but we r checking into it... thanx

I don't get what is so hard to understand. My friends and I don't always want to drink the same thing - much less a car full of people at the beach.

The first think I would ask is if you can make wine.

I would think high % apple wine, sugar water, and hard lemonade (similar to sugar water)

Can you freeze concentrate?

Sounds like some nice, yummy colt 45 to me...

how much alcohol are you wanting in this stuff?

If you can't make wine but want high ABV beer you should check into the municipal or state definition of wine and beer. If it's about requiring some proportion to be composed of grains, you have a lot of options. If it's about ABV, not so much.

Cider, for instance, is really basically wine (fermented juice)--but you can probably make cider. Probably you have to keep it under a certain ABV. Or maybe they just require you to call it cider. :)

The other thing is i've been to germany several times and they have beer mixed with coke or lemonade, tasted quite good too. Not like beer but that is what you are going for right?

I've seen people making something called Skeeter Pee or something like that? It's basically what someone above said, sugar water and yeast. I've considered giving it a try.

Just made a Midwest kit Lawnmower de Saison added booster sugar and used wlp670 farmhouse. Fg 1.003 I'm hoping it will bottle condition some flavor. Just a fun experiment.
Dennis

I'm not positive that a 15 year old would realize there were different types of licenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

well... i should have just not asked if i was gonna get the "WHY" " I Dont understand???" lol But hey... thanx for the input to those who get it... No... u cant apply for another type of license... we can make as much beer as we want... no limitations... so thats why... and when i said no taste... well... of course its gonna have taste... but the idea was many customers have asked for this and we thought it would be a good idea... But keep driving to Milton... They are awesome... our little area has tons of great breweries and we all help each other out...

Nah.. cant make wine either... but I got some good ideas from here. Thanx all

I think you may have a stuck key, might be time to replace the keyboard..... Good luck with the brewing.....

lol Dot Dot Dot.........

join another forum guys if you have nothing to say about the question at hand.... I am positive that I am older and can say or type however the hell I want... :) .....

This is when a mod would step in and tell you to **** off.. Who gives a **** how I type. The fact you took time out of your day to actually criticize is sad.

Dot Dot Dot.

Thanx all... got some great tips...

the above wasnt directed at you. lol. Thanx for the support. It just kills me people have nothing better to do. The the DB's Let me know when and where you start brewing for a job and have any idea what you are doing. Then we can talk. Wait. Grammar Police is on the line. I gotta take this.

I think you may have a stuck key, might be time to replace the keyboard..... Good luck with the brewing.....

the above wasnt directed at you. lol. Thanx for the support. It just kills me people have nothing better to do. The the DB's Let me know when and where you start brewing for a job and have any idea what you are doing. Then we can talk. Wait. Grammar Police is on the line. I gotta take this.

I'm a sys admin but also oversee all the production PCs on the floor where I work. I do have to replace keyboards with stuck & non-working keys from time to time. There was over 40 periods in one of your posts, I figured there must be some hardware problem.

It is my understanding that those malt beverages like Zima and Mike's Hard Lemonade are just high adjunct brews that are filtered with such fine filters that most everything is removed, including it's flavor.

Brew a batch, filter the living snot out of it and flavor as desired.

You can't filter something that's in solution. They're basically made from sugar hooch, the filtration isn't a factor in their lack of flavor.

You can't filter something that's in solution. They're basically made from sugar hooch, the filtration isn't a factor in their lack of flavor.

Most of the components giving beer body, flavor and color can be filtered. They make filters for hiking and backpacking that are fine enough to remove food coloring.

Malt beverage is not sugar hooch. It really is filtered brewed beer. High adjunct, but it is brewed and filtered. Not distilled. It's how you get around distilling licenses and such.

And filtration is THE factor in removing flavor.

Probrewer topic: http://discussions.probrewer.com/sh...r-Malt-Base-for-use-in-Flavored-Malt-Beverage

In fact someone has even applied for a patent on one way of filtering: http://www.google.com/patents/EP0784671A1?cl=en

Back