hiccups?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
Ok, so I def. did a search on hiccups, and can't find anything related to the matter...

I don't like drinking a lot of what people call 'swill' these days. I've done my fair share of it and drink whatever is cheap and on special at the beer granted I don't pay for the night. What gets me is after some cheap ass ice brew pre-game, labatt (I know) at the bar, and some more swill after game, I get a bad ass case of of the hiccups....

So bad in fact that I can't drink anymore swill and can't even down some water? What gives into this hiccups thing, and how can I cure it? *Other than drinking craft brews all night as I'm not always buying everything...

Put a piece of paper towel over the top of a full glass of water and drink the whole thing in one long pull. Hiccups will be gone.

I recently noticed that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale gave me the hiccups (not like that'll stop me from drinking it).

Pickle juice gets rid of hiccups for me post haste.

I Take a bunch of long deep breaths, then I take in as much air as my lungs can hold. Might have to suck a few mouthfulls of air in and then push them back. Just make sure to stretch you diaphram. Hold it. You may almost pass out. Depends on how many deep breaths you took to start out. Hold it until you feel "normal".

Hiccups should be gone.

This usually works without fail for me, but it's almost always temporary. Hiccups might come back in a while, in which case do it again. Usually two or three times is sufficient to get rid of them permanently.

Warning: I tried this once while driving and nearly crashed my car. I'm not kidding about the almost passing out.

Put a piece of paper towel over the top of a full glass of water and drink the whole thing in one long pull. Hiccups will be gone.

I learned this method of stopping hiccups from my grandfather, works 100% of the time without fail. Feels a little wierd the first time you do it but it'll guarantee the hiccups stop.

also easy -
put a pencil across your mouth (like a college student studying for an exam) - and drink half a glass of water in small sips without stopping - you won't even need a half a glass...

I learned this method of stopping hiccups from my grandfather, works 100% of the time without fail. Feels a little wierd the first time you do it but it'll guarantee the hiccups stop.

Glad there's someone else out there spreading the word! I learned it from my grandmother! :mug:

Ok, so I def. did a search on hiccups, and can't find anything related to the matter...

I don't like drinking a lot of what people call 'swill' these days. I've done my fair share of it and drink whatever is cheap and on special at the beer granted I don't pay for the night. What gets me is after some cheap ass ice brew pre-game, labatt (I know) at the bar, and some more swill after game, I get a bad ass case of of the hiccups....

So bad in fact that I can't drink anymore swill and can't even down some water? What gives into this hiccups thing, and how can I cure it? *Other than drinking craft brews all night as I'm not always buying everything...

Don't gulp your beer.
Regards, GF.

^ lol... can't see how to quote on my phone :(..

I'm gonna have to try some of these next time even though some sound silly.

I never had hiccups before when drinking, but this Porter I just tapped has got me hiccuping from the moment I take my first sip until I fall asleep at night. Nothing works to rid them other than a night's rest.

Ok, fail proof for me, and I learned this one from my x-wife - and I have actually recently given her credit for teaching me yet another life lesson..

Glass of water, over the sink, upside down. So basically lean over the sink, head down, put the glass to your bottom lip and drink as best you can, yes you will spill, but it works every damn time for me. Usually a 1/2 pint glass of water, and bam theyre gone..

hopefully the description of the method makes sense. I dont get em often, but when I do, holy hell, I hate em, and they need to go away ASAP!

yep, this method absolutely works, but looks ridiculous when performed at work or other social setting - hence the pencil-across-the-mouth trick - similar, but no bending over.

Back