Hi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballzac

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just found these forums the other day, and I don't know why I never thought to look for a homebrew forum before, as forums are always the best way to learn about an interest of this nature. From what I've read here, it looks like there are a lot of very knowledgable and helpful people here, and I look forward to getting the advice I need to achieve the best beers I can make. Hopefully I will learn enough to start giving back to the community also.

A bit about me. I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I'm 25. I got into homebrewing at about the age of eighteen, because of the prohibitive price of decent beers. I wanted to dive straight in the deep end of quality, and I think I actually had a lot of success, exept when I tried to do an all-grain brew and messed it up due to lack of knowledge. After not much more than a half-dozen brews, I stopped brewing simply due to change of circumstances and kind of forgot about it. The other day I dusted of my fermenter and got a wort going, and started to get a bit excited about it again, and that's when I found this place.

At the moment, I'm mostly into brewing pilseners (and my personal variations), but I'd love to branch out. Also not had much success with them in summer as I don't have a fridge for lagering, so i want to get into doing ales in summer.

Pilsener Urquell is one of my favourite beers. There are a few Australian beers that I like. James squire is one in particular. They make a brilliant pilsener, and their amber ale is beautiful. I also like guiness and kilkenny, and similar, creamy beers (and I have no idea how they are made, so that is something I would maybe like to try replicating in the future). There is also a beer called old speckled hen that I love...but it is way over my budget.

Anyway, I think that's about enough. I didn't want to just join up to the forums and start asking stupid questions without introducing myself first as it seems kinda rude.

:)

Welcome to the forum! Now that it's wintertime lagers should be a bit easier for you. Ales are definitely the way to go, they're much more forgiving and more variation of styles.

Back