Hi there, from WA State

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretius

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Turned 21 in April, I like beer, and this morning I was reading another forum I regularly visit when I saw someone mention that one of their hobbies was home brewing. I didn't know you could do this! Spent the better part of the day looking up the process, the necessary equipment and decided it was something I could afford (and of course, would enjoy). I just ordered the "How to Brew" book, and will be taking a look at buying the necessary equipment sometime next week (I'll be visiting the local home brew store tomorrow to have a look around). This looks like a lot of fun; can't wait to get started!

Bellingham as well! I attend WWU and am living up here for the summer as well, got a nice rented house.

Welcome to the forum. Brewing is lots of fun and very rewarding. Lots of great info here.

Cheers:mug:

Bellingham is a sweet town. WWU is a sweet college. I probably would have gone to school there based purely on how awesome the campus is, but they didn't offer the program I was looking for. But I ended up living here eventually, anyway... :D I think you'll find the guys at North Corner Brewing Supply to be pretty helpful, though the store can be a little disorganized sometimes. It's always ridiculously busy when I go in there at the end of my work day, so I recommend going late morning or mid day so you can ask lots of questions and get the most out of your visit.

Bellingham is a sweet town. WWU is a sweet college. I probably would have gone to school there based purely on how awesome the campus is, but they didn't offer the program I was looking for. But I ended up living here eventually, anyway... :D I think you'll find the guys at North Corner Brewing Supply to be pretty helpful, though the store can be a little disorganized sometimes. It's always ridiculously busy when I go in there at the end of my work day, so I recommend going late morning or mid day so you can ask lots of questions and get the most out of your visit.

I was actually planning on going there today; do you know how late they're open (or just the store hours?)

Just got back; looks like the starter kit runs about $135, and I'll need to buy a big stainless steel pot. Comes with a secondary, primary (one is glass, one is plastic but I don't recall which is which), thermometer, and a bunch of other stuff. Was totally empty in there too when I got there :)

I will say it was nice seeing all the ingredients and stuff that I had read all about yesterday.

If you fancy a trip up north you could check out Dan's Home Brew Supplies in Vancouver. I've just started brewing (bottling my second batch this weekend) and you can get a starter kit from him for $70 CDN. Not sure whats in the one your looking at but the contents of this one are listed on his website.

When I go down to the States, Bellingham is the last stop on the way home to fill up on the beer allowances to take back over the border. I forever hold out hope that they will start selling Bridgeport in Canada

It looks like these other kits don't have secondaries. If I don't need a secondary, that would cut a lot of my cost because those glass carboys cost $45, so I'd only be spending $95 instead of $135. I'll just go cheap with the plastic buckets; I don't need to see beer fermenting in a closet for weeks on end :) He recommended glass but from what I've read they're more expensive, easier to break, and the only real advantage is that you can see your beer.

Back