Hi there from Mid Michigan!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DryHeave

Reaction score
Hello!

Been lurking for a while and finally decided to join,

A little background:
I was an extract brewer for a couple of years but (due to a ridiculous work schedule) stopped brewing about 5 years back. About a year and a half ago my corporate job of 10 years was sold to a private company whose job offer was an insult. 1/3 less salary for more hours, less benefits and a longer commute to metro Detroit - 1-1.5hrs each way. But don't feel bad for me, I got a good severance for not taking said insulting job offer! Plus "unenjoyment" of course. So now my "temporary" retirement has allowed me to jump head first into all-grain brewing! :rockin:

I started collecting equipment last year and brewed my 1st AG (American Brown Ale) batch 4 weeks back and my 2nd batch (American Pale Ale) 3 weeks back. Only 1-2 more weeks til I can start drinking it! :mug:

In closing, I just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the good, knowledgeable folks here on the board. :)

I am also a little north of you, glad to have you back in the fold. Im still doing extracts as I slowly collect equipment for All grain.

Glad to hear you got back into brewing. I'm also from mid Michigan just a bit north of you.

I am also a little north of you, glad to have you back in the fold. Im still doing extracts as I slowly collect equipment for All grain.

Thanks guys. I'm from Bay City actually. State Park area. And Standish too, once upon a time. Sure miss it up there. I'm up that way all the time as my friends and family are there. I'll move back that way when the housing market picks back up and I can sell my house without taking a loss. Until then, I'll be brewing down here!

Im just out midland rd between 3 and 4 mile roads. The economy has shaken alot of people lifes up in the last 3 years. I was downsized out of a job about a year and 9 months ago, but luckly I found something else within 3-4 months.

Im just out midland rd between 3 and 4 mile roads. The economy has shaken alot of people lifes up in the last 3 years. I was downsized out of a job about a year and 9 months ago, but luckly I found something else within 3-4 months.

Ah yes, I know the area well. I went to the Willew Lounge @ 2 mile a couple weeks back. Good to hear you landed on you feet so quickly! My Dad works for Dow in Midland and thinks he can get me an interview, so my fingers are crossed.

Prosit! Welcome aboard! Plans to hit Frankenmuth this weekend for Oktoberfest?

Thanks mmb! I'd love to go to Frankenmuth! If I can get some of my buddies to go that is.I don't know many people in this area, I just live here. Lol. Most of my pals are from Bay City. I have 2 b-day parties to attend on Saturday in BC, so that might be a stretch. I might be able to talk someone into meeting me there on Friday though. Sadly, I haven't gone in 3-4 years. :(

Looks like there's a good group of us from bay city on here. I live on white St between 25 and fisher. I'm actually headed to frankenmuth tomorrow for my bachelor party. Getting married next week. My friends are mostly BMC guys but they know about my obsession with craft beers and are going to take me down there for oktoberfest :) just outta curiosity where do you guys buy your brew stuff at? I've been going to Eastman party store in midland and occasionally oppermanns cork and ale in saginaw. Just wondering if there's other places near to check out

The only other place I have found is Begicks nursery at bay road and two mile. The have a small section, mostly kits, but some ingredients, it more expensive.

There is a new place in frankenmuth called the lager mill. Check it out while your there, its a craftbrew, and homebrew shop, and brewing museum.

Looks like there's a good group of us from bay city on here. I live on white St between 25 and fisher. I'm actually headed to frankenmuth tomorrow for my bachelor party. Getting married next week. My friends are mostly BMC guys but they know about my obsession with craft beers and are going to take me down there for oktoberfest :) just outta curiosity where do you guys buy your brew stuff at? I've been going to Eastman party store in midland and occasionally oppermanns cork and ale in saginaw. Just wondering if there's other places near to check out

Hey, congrats! Good friends. If you're real lucky they'll take you down to the "clubs" on Dort hwy in Flint after Oktoberfest for the true bachelor experience! ;)

You've found the only places to buy supplies in that area that I know of. But you're lucky, that's 3x what there is in Flint!!! Only a high end specialty store (wine, cigars, beer, meats, cheese, candy, etc.) called Oliver T's here, and the selection @ Begick's is probably better AND cheaper (that's sad). But they do have LOTS of beers from around the world, probably hundreds. And they sell individuals so I'm happy they are only 5 minutes away from me as I can try nearly anything.

I go to Michigan Brewing Company (Things Beer) in Webberville for my supplies. I buy enough for 2-5 brews (10-15 gallon batches) at once. They are pretty cheap, 50lb sacks of Briess 2-row for $30, pale and pilsner malt is $35. Plenty of White Labs yeast, and 22oz bottles that were opened for brewery filling (but not used) are only $7 for 12! They have quite a few kits there too, don't know the prices though. You can get a pdf catalog @ their website. If you're ever in the mood for a road trip, go check them out. But make sure you have time to take a tour of the brewery and hit the pub. Try their High Seas IPA, it's divine!

The only other place I have found is Begicks nursery at bay road and two mile. The have a small section, mostly kits, but some ingredients, it more expensive.

There is a new place in frankenmuth called the lager mill. Check it out while your there, its a craftbrew, and homebrew shop, and brewing museum.

I'll have to check that place out myself, and have my growler filled at Frankenmuth Brewery of course!

Welcome aboard.
From Battle Creek, originally.

Thanks evanmars! Always good to hear from fellow Michiganders.

Welcome aboard!! What a great place to be as a home brewer. The resources available are endless.

Welcome to another Michigander!

Thank you both!

I'm kind of in a LHBS dead spot, but I don't mind the 45 minute drive to Michigan Brewing Company. There are a few places south of me in Metro Detroit, but after nearly 10 years of commuting down there, I avoid that whole area like herpes! :D

Glad to see more Mid-Michiganders. Eastman's is a good place to start for supplies. They are slowly getting better with what they carry. The Lager Mill in Frankenmuth is run by homebrewers and beer enthusiasts. They can get you anything you need if you ask with out the travel. Things Beer is a nice visit though. As far as Frankenmuth skip the frankenmuth brewery and head to Sullivan's Black Forest much much better beer and service. The brewery is just a tourist trap with below average beer.

Hey! Yet another beer fanatic from Michigan! Welcome!

Evanmars, you always seem to be one post ahead of me........

Thanks Jim! Most of my friends and family call me a beer snob. I take that as a compliment! :rockin:

Glad to see more Mid-Michiganders. Eastman's is a good place to start for supplies. They are slowly getting better with what they carry. The Lager Mill in Frankenmuth is run by homebrewers and beer enthusiasts. They can get you anything you need if you ask with out the travel. Things Beer is a nice visit though. As far as Frankenmuth skip the frankenmuth brewery and head to Sullivan's Black Forest much much better beer and service. The brewery is just a tourist trap with below average beer.

Thanks for the heads up BLB! I have heard good things about Sullivan's from my step brother, I'll have to stop by and grab a pint and a growler. I haven't been to Frankenmuth Brewery in nearly 5 years, but their beer was decent from what I remember. Key word being remember! Although I [admittedly] have had better. Another great brewpub is the Redwood Lodge/Sequoia Lounge just south of Flint off US-23. They've won a ridiculous amount of medals, like 25-30 or more. Highly recommended!

There are three brew clubs in the surrounding area. The Lager Mill is run by a member of the Cass River Home Brewing Club. There is also the Lapeer Area Brewers and the Shiawassee County Area Brewing Society.
As for LHBS's there is also the Red Salamander in Grand Ledge on the Saginaw Highway. Adventures in Homebrewing in Taylor is a stretch but the service, Knowledge, and prices are hard to beat.

There are three brew clubs in the surrounding area. The Lager Mill is run by a member of the Cass River Home Brewing Club. There is also the Lapeer Area Brewers and the Shiawassee County Area Brewing Society.
As for LHBS's there is also the Red Salamander in Grand Ledge on the Saginaw Highway. Adventures in Homebrewing in Taylor is a stretch but the service, Knowledge, and prices are hard to beat.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably be looking to join a local club sooner or later. As for the LHBS, Taylor and Grand Ledge are both a little farther than I'd like to drive. Webberville is about my limit, and that's mostly because their prices are good. But I'll probably head to both Hopman's in Waterford and the Lager Mill in Frankenmuth one of these days.

Well Oktoberfest was a blast. I got completely smashed, to the point where I couldn't tell if I was drinking good beer or not :tank: I did stop by the Lagermill though and it looks like it's going to be a cool place. Their inventory is still a little on the small side but that makes sense for a store thats just starting so it wouldnt be worth the drive for grains but they did have some liquid yeast vials there which is nice to know that'll save me shipping and waiting time. That's something I still havent seen at Eastman or Oppermans yet so they'll be worth visiting again. I bought my first mead there. It was a cherry mead (thats called a melomel right?)and it was delicious. Sorry for hijacking your thread like that DH but I was just curious about the stores in the area.

Oppermans cork and ale does have liquid yeast. its in the beer cooler, not back by the rest of the stuff.

Well Oktoberfest was a blast. I got completely smashed, to the point where I couldn't tell if I was drinking good beer or not :tank: I did stop by the Lagermill though and it looks like it's going to be a cool place. Their inventory is still a little on the small side but that makes sense for a store thats just starting so it wouldnt be worth the drive for grains but they did have some liquid yeast vials there which is nice to know that'll save me shipping and waiting time. That's something I still havent seen at Eastman or Oppermans yet so they'll be worth visiting again. I bought my first mead there. It was a cherry mead (thats called a melomel right?)and it was delicious. Sorry for hijacking your thread like that DH but I was just curious about the stores in the area.

Glad to hear you had a good time! And you're not hijacking at all, I'm happy to hear what people have to say about the area's home brew shops!

Oppermans cork and ale does have liquid yeast. its in the beer cooler, not back by the rest of the stuff.

No kidding? I must not have looked hard enough, I'll have to ask em where it's at. Definately nice to know since dry doesn't come in many varieties.

No kidding? I must not have looked hard enough, I'll have to ask em where it's at. Definately nice to know since dry doesn't come in many varieties.

It's in the walk in beer cooler on the far back left of the store. I'm sure they have White Labs vials as I pick my liquid up there. Dunno about Wyeast smack packs.

Yeah I didnt see it when I went in, but emailed them later and they confirmed it. I think its only the white labs stuff.

There seems to be a bunch of us from around the area, I suggest we have a meet-up at the midland brewing company once it opens.

Back