Hi I'm a Idiot Driver RANT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
So, every morning I have the pleasure of driving 45mins to an hour on my commute to work. And every morning I encounter the same idiots.

There is the idiot who rides directly on the tailgate of a large dump truck, or tractor trailer... clearly not visible to the driver of the truck, they insist on riding the trucks ass in an effort to make the truck go faster? Then they probably are the very first person to call the company of the truck when a rock flies up and cracks their windshield.

Last week at 3am I was called out for an accident involving a Tractor Trailer and a car. The driver of the car was tailgating the tractor trailer so close that the truck driver had no idea that the car was behind him. The tractor trailer went to exit the highway when the car driver decided he was going to pass the truck on the shoulder.. yes the shoulder.

The car ran under the back of the trailer, and the truck driver ended up driving an additional 3 miles before he noticed that there was sparks coming from the trailer... he was shocked to find not a flat tire, but a CAR STUCK under his trailer.

We had to use hydraulic cutters and separators to remove the driver from the car.

Luckily a trustworthy and honest citizen witnessed the whole thing and was willing to give a statement to the police and everyone on scene.

Please, for the sake of your life and for others, do not tailgate tractor trailers, the signs on the truck that say: "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN'T SEE YOU" are there for a reason.

Also, here's to the asshat who rides your ass and then passes you only to get to the redlight first.

BraeHaus said:
So, every morning I have the pleasure of driving 45mins to an hour on my commute to work. And every morning I encounter the same idiots.

There is the idiot who rides directly on the tailgate of a large dump truck, or tractor trailer... clearly not visible to the driver of the truck, they insist on riding the trucks ass in an effort to make the truck go faster? Then they probably are the very first person to call the company of the truck when a rock flies up and cracks their windshield.

Last week at 3am I was called out for an accident involving a Tractor Trailer and a car. The driver of the car was tailgating the tractor trailer so close that the truck driver had no idea that the car was behind him. The tractor trailer went to exit the highway when the car driver decided he was going to pass the truck on the shoulder.. yes the shoulder.

The car ran under the back of the trailer, and the truck driver ended up driving an additional 3 miles before he noticed that there was sparks coming from the trailer... he was shocked to find not a flat tire, but a CAR STUCK under his trailer.

We had to use hydraulic cutters and separators to remove the driver from the car.

Luckily a trustworthy and honest citizen witnessed the whole thing and was willing to give a statement to the police and everyone on scene.

Please, for the sake of your life and for others, do not tailgate tractor trailers, the signs on the truck that say: "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN'T SEE YOU" are there for a reason.

Also, here's to the asshat who rides your ass and then passes you only to get to the redlight first.

I drive truck for a living and this irritates me, I have two big signs on the back of my trailer, one states this vehicle makes wide right turns, however people still try to sneak around beside me when I swing out for a turn. The second signs states If you cant see my mirrors, I cant see you. There are to many people on the road that are very uncourteous to trucks.If every truck shut down for one day this country would turn into chaos I wish people learned that we are in our office just like they are and they wouldn't want me coming to there office and pulling up a chair right behind them and sitting there or me standing up and reaching in front of them while they are typing or doing paperwork. But I guess they will never learn.

BraeHaus said:

As long as there was no damage to the trailer, I don't see this as a negative thing. Sure, it sucks that you guys had to roll out at 3am, but think of the benefits to the gene pool...

RICLARK said:
There are to many people on the road that are very uncourteous to trucks.

I'm not here to debate whether riding a truck's a$$ is dangerous or not, the simple answer to that is yes.

However, in light of your statement above, there are plenty of trucks on the road that are very uncourteous to the cars b/c they feel they are huge and can do whatever they want...

I'm not sure how many times per day I count trucks here in PA driving in the passing lane AND NOT PASSING A SOUL FOR 1/2 mile, 1 mile, or even up to 5 miles. It's a passing lane, not a driving lane. You know, "slower traffic keep right"? They'll let a line of 15 cars clog up behind them (obviously they can see at least some of them in their mirrors) and never get over b/c they feel they are in the right to drive in that lane. GET THE FARK OVER!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as soon as you go to pass them in the right lane, then they cut you off and get over, go figure... I can totally understand why people ride a trucks a$$ now that I think about it. I am not stupid enough to do it and sit right where I can't be seen, but I've done it and poke out to the left or right as far as it takes for them to see me. However, this would all be resolved if they would just be courteous to the driver and move their slow-a$$. please note, I have no problem with truckers who drive in the passing lane and actually pass, and get over when they can... but that is only about 50% of the truckers I see on a day to day basis.

Another example that just occurred last evening on my commute home. There is a stretch of highway here that is 2-lanes and becomes 3 near an exit that is a "wrap-around". This third lane is the exit lane and is literally signed about 3/4 to 1 full mile or more before the exit. In fact, it is a solid white line (e.g. DO NOT CROSS you a$$-lick) for at least 1/2 mile. A rig decided it was his right to enter this exit lane literally AT THE EXIT (e.g. 1/64th of a mile, 100ft) while there was a backlog of cars back to where the solid white line began. He just swung it over there causing all kinds of braking chaos and whatnot b/c he couldn't read the signs and then thought he was large enough that any car would just let him in. Luckily I was back further in the exit lane. I can tell you one thing, stupid or not, I would have let him and his company buy me a new vehicle had I been the car that was beside him when he illegally swung into that lane. I would have had plenty of witnesses... like literally 30-50+...

So, it's not just the small-car and SUV drivers here that cause the problems, but also the truckers...

End Mini-Rant

RoaringBrewer said:
I'm not here to debate whether riding a truck's a$$ is dangerous or not, the simple answer to that is yes.

However, in light of your statement above, there are plenty of trucks on the road that are very uncourteous to the cars b/c they feel they are huge and can do whatever they want...

I'm not sure how many times per day I count trucks here in PA driving in the passing lane AND NOT PASSING A SOUL FOR 1/2 mile, 1 mile, or even up to 5 miles. It's a passing lane, not a driving lane. You know, "slower traffic keep right"? They'll let a line of 15 cars clog up behind them (obviously they can see at least some of them in their mirrors) and never get over b/c they feel they are in the right to drive in that lane. GET THE FARK OVER!

Another example that just occurred last evening on my commute home. There is a stretch of highway here that is 2-lanes and becomes 3 near an exit that is a "wrap-around". This third lane is the exit lane and is literally signed about 3/4 to 1 full mile or more before the exit. In fact, it is a solid white line (e.g. DO NOT CROSS you a$$-lick) for at least 1/2 mile. A rig decided it was his right to enter this exit lane literally AT THE EXIT (e.g. 1/64th of a mile, 100ft) while there was a backlog of cars back to where the solid white line began. He just swung it over there causing all kinds of braking chaos and whatnot b/c he couldn't read the signs and then thought he was large enough that any car would just let him in. Luckily I was back further in the exit lane. I can tell you one thing, stupid or not, I would have let him and his company buy me a new vehicle had I been the car that was beside him when he illegally swung into that lane. I would have had plenty of witnesses... like literally 30-50+...

So, it's not just the small-car and SUV drivers here that cause the problems, but also the truckers...

Do you know why when trucks get in the right lane and dont go anywhere? its because some trucks are governed at a certain speed. When they get out next to another truck that is going 64 1/2 and there governed at 65 it takes a while. You live in Penn and the speed limit is 65 if I remember correctley, nobody would have any problems if they went the same speed. as far as the truck exting the freeway illegally that is his problem and its people like him that give good drivers a bad rap. I have well over half a million miles driving just in a truck and never been in a wreck in one, but 98% of all close calls I have had are cause by stupid 4 wheelers.

RICLARK said:
If every truck shut down for one day this country would turn into chaos...

Not sure how to take this comment? Obviously we need truckers in order to deliver goods, etc. and for society to operate as it does. Thus, it would be chaos as far as grocery stores being low on food, etc.

However, if you are talking about the highway being chaos, again, totally disagree. I see just as many crazy-a$$ truck drivers causing problems as I do crazy-a$$ drivers in sports cars, large sedans, or SUVs.

The problem with a "Mack truck" is:

a) it's huge so anything it does is multiplied by about 10 as its equal to about 10 cars. You cut into the lane illegally like the truck did last night, about 10 cars were at risk of being hit had they not braked, swerved, etc. I mean com'on. If a car had done it, they might take out one car. If a truck hits you from behind, your at risk of being killed, whereas a car hits you from behind in most cases its a small fender bender. Etc.

b) it can't accelerate like it needs to (takes 20 seconds to get to 60) in traffic

c) can't climb inclines (related to b) [but still tries to do it in the 'fast lane']

d) it can't brake like it needs to (in many cases taking out cars in its path)

e) it can't turn like it needs to (in many cases rolling off the side of bridges or closing highways for hours while the clean up the mess they made)

So, in summary. Trucks suck. I think if you yanked all the trucks, the highway would be much more smooth flowing. Still not perfect, but better...

End Mini-Rant 2

It's getting a bit harsh in here, you all might want to re-think what you are saying, esp. when it's knocking the way someone else puts food on the table.

RICLARK said:
Do you know why when trucks get in the right lane and dont go anywhere? its because some trucks are governed at a certain speed. When they get out next to another truck that is going 64 1/2 and there governed at 65 it takes a while. You live in Penn and the speed limit is 65 if I remember correctley, nobody would have any problems if they went the same speed. as far as the truck exting the freeway illegally that is his problem and its people like him that give good drivers a bad rap. I have well over half a million miles driving just in a truck and never been in a wreck in one, but 98% of all close calls I have had are cause by stupid 4 wheelers.

If trucks are governed, then I don't see many of them. I see plenty of trucks chugging along at 75-80-85mph. Scary too as a 80mph 18 wheeler hitting something has a little more impact than an 85mph Kia.

But I'll take your word for it since you are a truck-driver. IMO that governed truck should RARELY be in the passing lane though. He has the right to be there if he is PASSING a car going 55mph, yes. But if he is going to travel there at 65mph and that's all the faster he can go, and all the traffic in the normal lane is also going 65, then it is just plain uncourteous. Like I've said...

You can claim, "noone should drive faster than the speed limit of 65mph anyway and there wouldn't be a problem", but that is just a preposterous argument. It's just completely illogical and inaccurate. It doesn't happen. It's a myth. Yes, the speed limit is 65mph, but you can safely travel a 2-lane highway at at least 75mph or even more safely and that's why people do it. At the very least, people should be able to go 70-75mph to get past the truck that is obstructing its view, throwing diesel smog fumes back at you, etc. Anyway, arguing everyone should just obey the speedlimit is ludicrous. Even cops agree and that's why cops don't enforce 65mph until you hit 80mph... I mean, come'on, be realistic.

McKBrew said:
It's getting a bit harsh in here, you all might want to re-think what you are saying, esp. when it's knocking the way someone else puts food on the table.

I'm not knocking him personally, or his profession in general. I'm knocking those same people he has claimed, "give a bad name to truck drivers".

The problem is (and the reason it seems I'm knocking an entire profession) that those people are about 50% of truck drivers on the road.

If he drives his truck in the manner he has relayed, then I have zero problem with him...

RoaringBrewer said:
Not sure how to take this comment? Obviously we need truckers in order to deliver goods, etc. and for society to operate as it does. Thus, it would be chaos as far as grocery stores being low on food, etc.

However, if you are talking about the highway being chaos, again, totally disagree. I see just as many crazy-a$$ truck drivers causing problems as I do crazy-a$$ drivers in sports cars, large sedans, or SUVs.

The problem with a "Mack truck" is:

a) it's huge so anything it does is multiplied by about 10 as its equal to about 10 cars. You cut into the lane illegally like the truck did last night, about 10 cars were at risk of being hit had they not braked, swerved, etc. I mean com'on. If a car had done it, they might take out one car. If a truck hits you from behind, your at risk of being killed, whereas a car hits you from behind in most cases its a small fender bender. Etc.

b) it can't accelerate like it needs to (takes 20 seconds to get to 60) in traffic

c) can't climb inclines (related to b) [but still tries to do it in the 'fast lane']

d) it can't brake like it needs to (in many cases taking out cars in its path)

e) it can't turn like it needs to (in many cases rolling off the side of bridges or closing highways for hours while the clean up the mess they made)

So, in summary. Trucks suck. I think if you yanked all the trucks, the highway would be much more smooth flowing. Still not perfect, but better...

End Mini-Rant 2

I was reffering to if trucks shut down for a day you would have no gas/fuel deliveries, no food deliveries, no trash pick up, no cars would be towed from accidents or from the side of the road,etc.

What is ample acceleration time when you weigh 48,000 lbs and up?

How would you feel pulling a grade and you have to be stuck behind another truck that cant pull the grade as well and when it is all said and done your at 25mph at the top of the hill because you didn't want to move over in front of a car that can vastley regain speed.

I have no clue what the hell your talking about on letter E, If you make a turn you should slow down no matter what your in.

Maybe you should go down and get a book and get your CDL then go drive for a month and see how you get a long with all the little cars on the road that are always in a hurry to go nowhere.

RoaringBrewer said:
If trucks are governed, then I don't see many of them. I see plenty of trucks chugging along at 75-80-85mph. Scary too as a 80mph 18 wheeler hitting something has a little more impact than an 85mph Kia.

You dont get out west much do you? Arizona,New Mexico,Nevada,Nebraska,Utah,Wyoming are all 75 Mph for trucks.

I guess I should note - my concerns noted above don't only apply to truck drivers.

People in general who A) drive in the passing lane and don't pass B) People who cut people off at the last second C) People who don't signal D) People who brake incessantly while going up a hill E) People who drive 100mph weaving in and out of traffic F) People who can't read road signs and have to cut across merge-triangles (e.g. don't drive here you are too late), etc. all get my blood boiling.

And there's probably an G, H, and I I could think of also.

I'll admit that I am definitely not a perfect driver all the times, but I try to drive defensively, plan ahead, and do the right thing. Do I drive over the speed limit at times? Yes, I have for over 10 years and I've lost my license for 65 days in the process for getting 4 speeding tickets in 12 months. I learned my lesson after that, but still think 10-15mph over is safe if you do it appropriately. Have I ever been in an accident or hurt anyone - well not yet. So, a driver that drivers over the speed limit =! a dangerous driver in all cases.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there that my disgust with drivers, isn't limited to truck drivers. :) Truce?

RoaringBrewer said:
I guess I should note - my concerns noted above don't only apply to truck drivers.

People in general who A) drive in the passing lane and don't pass B) People who cut people off at the last second C) People who don't signal D) People who brake incessantly while going up a hill E) People who drive 100mph weaving in and out of traffic F) People who can't read road signs and have to cut across merge-triangles (e.g. don't drive here you are too late), etc. all get my blood boiling.

And there's probably an G, H, and I I could think of also.

I'll admit that I am definitely not a perfect driver all the times, but I try to drive defensively, plan ahead, and do the right thing. Do I drive over the speed limit at times? Yes, I have for over 10 years and I've lost my license for 65 days in the process for getting 4 speeding tickets in 12 months. I learned my lesson after that, but still think 10-15mph over is safe if you do it appropriately. Have I ever been in an accident or hurt anyone - well not yet. So, a driver that drivers over the speed limit =! a dangerous driver in all cases.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there that my disgust with drivers, isn't limited to truck drivers. :) Truce?

Hell man I was never mad, I was just trying educate ya.;)

RICLARK said:
I was reffering to if trucks shut down for a day you would have no gas/fuel deliveries, no food deliveries, no trash pick up, no cars would be towed from accidents or from the side of the road,etc.

What is ample acceleration time when you weigh 48,000 lbs and up?

How would you feel pulling a grade and you have to be stuck behind another truck that cant pull the grade as well and when it is all said and done your at 25mph at the top of the hill because you didn't want to move over in front of a car that can vastley regain speed.

I have no clue what the hell your talking about on letter E, If you make a turn you should slow down no matter what your in.

Maybe you should go down and get a book and get your CDL then go drive for a month and see how you get a long with all the little cars on the road that are always in a hurry to go nowhere.

Well, I've called truce, so I'll respond to these as civilly as possible:

1) Agreed, we need to co-exist with truckers. But then they should realize they need to co-exist with us as well. It might be "your office" on the roadway, but you have a lot of "visitors", so act courteous as well.

2) If a truck takes more time to accelerate that is fine, but then their driver should generally pay more attention. Don't pull out in front of cars (from a stop) that are travelling 35-45-55-65... Don't merge in front of them in traffic at 40 when they are going 65. Wait the extra second and get in where there is a long enough opening. Don't just create one. Again, the good trucks drivers have no problem, but a lot still do.

3) I'd bet you are pretty frustrated when the truck in front of you slows you down. Would po me for sure. Haha...

4) On point E (regarding turning), I'm just saying trucks roll over much easier than most cars (other than maybe Explorers, JEEPs, or Hummers), so they need to take extra caution. Even so, at least 3-4 a week flip here in the mid-state causing highway closures.

5) I don't claim to be able to drive truck or that your job isn't difficult. Heck, I've towed a small trailer a few times and that was more than I wanted to do. I'm just saying (from my first post), that truckers should learn to respect the smaller cars as much as we should respect them.

In summary, its a driver thing. Many people in cars can't drive IMO, many people in rigs can't drive IMO. If all those people who didn't know how to drive got off the road, the rest of us would do just fine. You and I would probably be A-OK. You'd see me coming up on you, signal, get over, I'd buzz by, I'd get clearance and get in front of you. We'd all be happy... :)

Trucks rarely have a choice about merging into traffic flow too slowly. Acceleration lanes are never long enough and if they slow down to wait for a slot, the problem gets even worse.

Hydraulic Launch Assist will help, once it gets deployed. A very cool technology for big rigs. Granted it's aimed at improving efficiency for the stop-n-go crowd, but being able to double or triple your power for 15 secs?

RoaringBrewer said:
Well, I've called truce, so I'll respond to these as civilly as possible:

1) Agreed, we need to co-exist with truckers. But then they should realize they need to co-exist with us as well. It might be "your office" on the roadway, but you have a lot of "visitors", so act courteous as well.

2) If a truck takes more time to accelerate that is fine, but then their driver should generally pay more attention. Don't pull out in front of cars (from a stop) that are travelling 35-45-55-65... Don't merge in front of them in traffic at 40 when they are going 65. Wait the extra second and get in where there is a long enough opening. Don't just create one. Again, the good trucks drivers have no problem, but a lot still do.

3) I'd bet you are pretty frustrated when the truck in front of you slows you down. Would po me for sure. Haha...

4) On point E (regarding turning), I'm just saying trucks roll over much easier than most cars (other than maybe Explorers, JEEPs, or Hummers), so they need to take extra caution. Even so, at least 3-4 a week flip here in the mid-state causing highway closures.

5) I don't claim to be able to drive truck or that your job isn't difficult. Heck, I've towed a small trailer a few times and that was more than I wanted to do. I'm just saying (from my first post), that truckers should learn to respect the smaller cars as much as we should respect them.

In summary, its a driver thing. Many people in cars can't drive IMO, many people in rigs can't drive IMO. If all those people who didn't know how to drive got off the road, the rest of us would do just fine. You and I would probably be A-OK. You'd see me coming up on you, signal, get over, I'd buzz by, I'd get clearance and get in front of you. We'd all be happy... :)

A lot of Truck drivers today are from Truck driving schools, They are not taaught to be courteous they are just taught how to go foreward they are dangerous and think they can do whatever they want to do. I stay as far away from them as possible I pass them and then they are a memory. The trucking Industry has basically gone down the ****ter with alot of them driving now. I learned to drive a truck when I was 15 from a couple of old timers 1 being my dad. Im courteous to everyone that is curteous to me I speed frequently but im safe about it and I do whatever I can when im passing another truck to get the hell around them and back into my lane so everyone else can go on about there day stress free but im just one guy like I stated. Also * the big name companies such as Werner,Swift,JB Hunt,Scneider,Crete, Sunflower, and many others are governed so if you see them going slow you know why.;)

david_42 said:
Trucks rarely have a choice about merging into traffic flow too slowly. Acceleration lanes are never long enough and if they slow down to wait for a slot, the problem gets even worse.

Hydraulic Launch Assist will help, once it gets deployed. A very cool technology for big rigs.

Oh, I definitely agree with that in some cases. In which case, it is the cars who should become courteous at that point. The idiot CAR drivers who stay in that lane when they could easily get over, thus causing the rig to brake, thus causing it to try to pull out from a stop, are then the ones who PO me. :)

RICLARK said:
A lot of Truck drivers today are from Truck driving schools, They are not taaught to be courteous they are just taught how to go foreward they are dangerous and think they can do whatever they want to do. I stay as far away from them as possible I pass them and then they are a memory. The trucking Industry has basically gone down the ****ter with alot of them driving now. I learned to drive a truck when I was 15 from a couple of old timers 1 being my dad. Im courteous to everyone that is curteous to me I speed frequently but im safe about it and I do whatever I can when im passing another truck to get the hell around them and back into my lane so everyone else can go on about there day stress free but im just one guy like I stated. Also * the big name companies such as Werner,Swift,JB Hunt,Scneider,Crete, Sunflower, and many others are governed so if you see them going slow you know why.;)

See, you and I can and would coexist harmoniously should we meet on the highway. :mug:

*Interesting fact on the governed vehicles.

BraeHaus said:

Did this happen in N. Carolina? There is a thread on Corvette Forum about a guy who had a truck drag his car. Just wonder if this is one in the same. Was it a Corvette?

As much as I dislike discourteous truck drivers, I hate stupid car drivers.

Here in San Antonio, the acceleration lanes tend to be a bit short. There is a yield sign at every on-ramp. The smart thing to do in most cases is to accelerate very quickly to near highway speed, and merge. However, about 1 in 10 drivers start accelerating, panic, see the yield sign, and STOP! I've had several very close calls as a result.

Another group of idiots that really "grind my gears" are the asshats who decide to use an impending lane closure as an opportunity to pass everyone, then merge at the last second. If everyone merges early, traffic would keep flowing, and those other lanes wouldn't get bottled up so badly. But the asshats have to fly past everyone, only to cause a backup right at the point where the lane closes, forcing others to slow and let them merge. Asshats.

Just like RICLARK doesn't like truckers who make a bad name for the trucking industry, I dislike motorcyclists making a bad name for other bike riders. Sure, I'll take advantage of a bike's quick acceleration and relatively nimble maneuverability, but I will NEVER be the guy weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, and/or going well over 80 MPH on public roads. That kind of crap is simply uncalled for.

I only wish Maryland had the same traffic laws as PA...

And I wish they would actually be enforced in both states. However, PA did at least 'make good' with an attempt to prevent left lane hangout. The problem is there aren't enough cops to bust the arseclowns, and there are too many Marylanders driving through PA who don't know the law.

There is nothing I hate worse than left lane drivers that are doing just the speed limit, or (not matter what the speed) matching the exact speed of the guy in the other lane.

I blame most of this on left hand exits. Some engineer with no sense decided "let's randomly put 1 left exit in amongst all the right side ones, just to see what kind of traffic confusion this causes."

It causes people to change lanes quickly as they get on one exit and have to get off again within a mile or two. It causes people to CAMP OUT in the left lane 7 miles before the exit because traffic is backed up and they're scared they'll never make it over - so now the left lane going nowhere, the right lane is going nowhere because of all the oncoming/offgoing exits.

Grrrr

Yuri_Rage said:
As much as I dislike discourteous truck drivers, I hate stupid car drivers.

Here in San Antonio, the acceleration lanes tend to be a bit short. There is a yield sign at every on-ramp. The smart thing to do in most cases is to accelerate very quickly to near highway speed, and merge. However, about 1 in 10 drivers start accelerating, panic, see the yield sign, and STOP! I've had several very close calls as a result.

Another group of idiots that really "grinds my gears" are the asshats who decide to use an impending lane closure as an opportunity to pass everyone, then merge at the last second. If everyone merges early, traffic would keep flowing, and those other lanes wouldn't get bottled up so badly. But the asshats have to fly past everyone, only to cause a backup right at the point where the lane closes, forcing others to slow and let them merge. Asshats.

Like I said before when I gave my rambling list of poor car-drivers, I knew there was a G, H, and I somewhere that I was leaving out. Well, we've found at least two of them! :rockin:

The left lane exit boggles my mind. Sure it might seem good on paper, but in reality...oh dear God is that stupid.

Klainmeister said:
The left lane exit boggles my mind. Sure it might seem good on paper, but in reality...oh dear God is that stupid.

I don't think there are too many left-hand exits here in most of PA. I know I've come across a few down towards Philadelphia and/or Pittsburgh and haven't had much problem with them (in fact, I thought they were fairly well labeled in advance unlike a lot of PA roadways), but out where I reside, there are very few, thank God.

I can only imagine these 'suburban' and 'rural' driving idiots, that already have problems with right exits, merging, hell, driving in general, if we had more complexities such as those...

I guess in general, it's pretty bad when some of these people who have never seen a city are required to drive there once a year or something for a special event, wedding, jury-duty, whatever...

Yuri_Rage said:
There are a few on 222. One that comes to mind, near Reading, doesn't seem to cause too much confusion or congestion.

I'm sure I've been passed that in the last 2-3 months (often go from Lancaster to Allentown, a lot of which is 222/422) and didn't even recognize it as a problem. So, it must not be bad! :)

222 is barely a secondary road. :p

I'm talking things like 80, 81, 83, 76 - the big baddies.

Harrisburg has it. 83 north down around IIRC Paxton? 83N splits into 283s, 322e, and 83N all at the same spot, and since rush hour is mostly going 83N around the city, it makes NO sense because people are often jacked up all the way down to 2nd street because of people who are trying to 'get left' for this exit.

Left should always be for passers and speeders. Dipsticks that like to hang out there should be subject to citizens arrest and a little vigilante justice.

I'll leave the whole 83N/581 split just south of the city alone. I cannot believe that a major highway splits off into 1 lane each direction - both of which are 35 mph ramps. Why didn't they just make a big curve for 83N since 80% of traffic is going up that way anyway?

jezter6 said:
222 is barely a secondary road. :p

I'm talking things like 80, 81, 83, 76 - the big baddies.

Harrisburg has it. 83 north down around IIRC Paxton? 83N splits into 283s, 322e, and 83N all at the same spot, and since rush hour is mostly going 83N around the city, it makes NO sense because people are often jacked up all the way down to 2nd street because of people who are trying to 'get left' for this exit.

Left should always be for passers and speeders. Dipsticks that like to hang out there should be subject to citizens arrest and a little vigilante justice.

I'll leave the whole 83N/581 split just south of the city alone. I cannot believe that a major highway splits off into 1 lane each direction - both of which are 35 mph ramps. Why didn't they just make a big curve for 83N since 80% of traffic is going up that way anyway?

Yeah, I don't even consider the Eisenhower interchange (83/283/322) a left-hand exit. That is basically a road ending and you pick your next road (in either direction). One is from the right lane, one is from the left, and one is from the far right that pops out at the last second, but its still just a road ending in other roads. It's not even really a "throughway"... It's definitely a bottleneck of sorts at times, but not what I was thinking of as a true left-hand exit where the rest of the road just continues on its way. It's like all new roads after the "interchange".

Plus, that is labelled literally over a mile in advance with signs and now they even plastered the Route #s ON THE ROAD SURFACE in huge red/white/blue symbols, so if you are in the wrong-lane you are an idiot. I drive this interchange almost daily without many issues at all...

The 83/581 Split is the most horrendous interchange in the area, no doubt.

EDIT: Now, I've figured out which part of the Eisenhower you are talking about with the left-hand exit... usually I'm not coming from that way, but you are right. That's a lefty that causes some problems. Luckily where I work, live, and primarily travel I can avoid that part of the interchange often. I am usually coming from the direction that the left-hand exiters merge with and its not so bad... I've definitely almost been rear-ended on that left-hand exit though, one of the few times I used it.

RICLARK said:
but 98% of all close calls I have had are cause by stupid 4 wheelers.

How about us 2-wheelers? When I'm on my bike I rarely have a problem with any traffic on the interstate. In my car, well I do see where RICLARK is coming from.

RoaringBrewer said:
Plus, that is labelled literally over a mile in advance with signs and now they even plastered the Route #s ON THE ROAD SURFACE in huge red/white/blue symbols, so if you are in the wrong-lane you are an idiot. I drive this interchange almost daily without many issues at all...

It's not the fact that they're labeled incorrectly - it's that left hand exits cause people to "prepare to exit" by hanging out in the left lane well in advance of the need to exit because they are scared they won't be able to get over in time.

If ALL exits were on the right, then the left lane can move freely because the slow guys coming on and the idiots preparing to exit 7 miles early can all go slow in the right lane and not congest traffic for those of us NOT getting on or off that piece of highway any time soon.

jezter6 said:
It's not the fact that they're labeled incorrectly - it's that left hand exits cause people to "prepare to exit" by hanging out in the left lane well in advance of the need to exit because they are scared they won't be able to get over in time.

If ALL exits were on the right, then the left lane can move freely because the slow guys coming on and the idiots preparing to exit 7 miles early can all go slow in the right lane and not congest traffic for those of us NOT getting on or off that piece of highway any time soon.

Makes sense now! :)

I'm all for wide-open-barrel-through left lanes... haha. :rockin:

The other thing that causes 'lefty hangers' is busy, impending merge zones. I can understand getting over and allowing traffic to merge in when its busy, but you don't need to get over 3 miles too soon!!

There is a specific spot on 322E, where 225 merges on (bringing at least 50% of the traffic from 'the north') that is terrible at this. People literally jam the left lane (going speed limit or under or its so pack you are crawling) b/c they know this merge zone is coming up IN 3 MILES!!!

I've realized (after driving it for years) that even the normal, right driving lane moves much faster than the passing lane due to all the lefty hangers and all the people switching into that lane...

I do what any smart individual would do, ride the right lane (cruising past 100s of cars in the process), until very near the merge point, then find my way over into the left lane where there is an opening between trucks, people not paying attention, etc. It's failproof and saves me at least 5-10 mins per day and a lot of animosity towards the lefty-handers. :)

RICLARK said:
I drive truck for a living and this irritates me, I have two big signs on the back of my trailer, one states this vehicle makes wide right turns, however people still try to sneak around beside me when I swing out for a turn. The second signs states If you cant see my mirrors, I cant see you. There are to many people on the road that are very uncourteous to trucks.

I'm the kind of guy who lets truck in or helps them merge by playing 'blocker' when their signal comes on. My grandfather was union steward in Detroit for the Teamsters during some of the Hoffa years. So don't get me wrong as I say this.

The percentage of asshat people who aren't respectful of truckers is about the same as the asshat truckers who tailgate (especially tailgating smaller vehicles), cut people off, drift out of their lane, honk their airhorn unnessicarily, yammer on the cell phone in the middle of rush our traffic, use engine braking in residential areas and otherwise act like jerks on the road.

And it's not 'the trucker's office'--- truckers just happen to get paid to work in a public space. The problem with truckers claiming the road as 'their office' is that it builds a sense of entitlement that engenders the kinds of behaviors described above. It's not yours or mine. It's ours.

The issue is really about courtesy in sharing the space and having a mindset to match the fact that it is a publiclly shared space with dangerous equipment moving at high rate of speed.

kornkob said:
I'm the kind of guy who lets truck in or helps them merge by playing 'blocker' when their signal comes on. My grandfather was union steward in Detroit for the Teamsters during some of the Hoffa years. So don't get me wrong as I say this.

The percentage of asshat people who aren't respectful of truckers is about the same as the asshat truckers who tailgate (especially tailgating smaller vehicles), cut people off, drift out of their lane, honk their airhorn unnessicarily, yammer on the cell phone in the middle of rush our traffic, use engine braking in residential areas and otherwise act like jerks on the road.

And it's not 'the trucker's office'--- truckers just happen to get paid to work in a public space. The problem with truckers claiming the road as 'their office' is that it builds a sense of entitlement that engenders the kinds of behaviors described above. It's not yours or mine. It's ours.

The issue is really about courtesy in sharing the space and having a mindset to match the fact that it is a publiclly shared space with dangerous equipment moving at high rate of speed.

Well stated - although I think RIC had come around a bit before this and admitted that there was a large portion of the 'trucking community' that are d-bags, as well...

And then it obviously evolved into, there are a lot of drivers (period) who are d-bags, whether driving rigs or cars...

Although, I do feel the rig-drivers should play a little more nicely considering they are driving something that weighs about 24x what my car weighs. All vehicles are dangerous, but their's are a bit more dangerous. There are many fatal accidents, but the probability of an accident becoming fatal probably increases 10 fold if a rig is involved. It's kind of like the pitbull versus jack russel discussion in the dog thread... (I kid, I kid...) :eek:

VatorMan said:
Did this happen in N. Carolina? There is a thread on Corvette Forum about a guy who had a truck drag his car. Just wonder if this is one in the same. Was it a Corvette?

Sorry, Pa and it was a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

RoaringBrewer said:
Well stated - although I think RIC had come around a bit before this and admitted that there was a large portion of the 'trucking community' that are d-bags, as well...

Yep-- i missed that.

RoaringBrewer said:
Although, I do feel the rig-drivers should play a little more nicely considering they are driving something that weighs about 24x what my car weighs. All vehicles are dangerous, but their's are a bit more dangerous. There are many fatal accidents, but the probability of an accident becoming fatal probably increases 10 fold if a rig is involved. It's kind of like the pitbull versus jack russel discussion in the dog thread... (I kid, I kid...) :eek:

There's an added situation here: rig drivers not only pose a greater risk because of the size of their vehicle but also because of the frequency that they are on the road.

Risky driving truckers (as well as otehrprofessional drivers-- taxis, LEO, delivery drivers) should be held to a higher standard and be hit harder when they violate the law not only because of the higher risk they might pose because of the size of the vehicle but because they are driving a lot more than the rest of us. A high risk professional driver exposes more people to that risk than the average joe driving to work every day.

kornkob said:
Risky driving truckers (as well as otehrprofessional drivers-- taxis, LEO, delivery drivers) should be held to a higher standard and be hit harder when they violate the law not only because of the higher risk they might pose because of the size of the vehicle but because they are driving a lot more than the rest of us. A high risk professional driver exposes more people to that risk than the average joe driving to work every day.

Excellent point...

Maybe we need to actually start using those, "how's my driving" numbers on the back of trucks and delivery vans and we could weed out the d-bags?!

I caught up to the truck that cut off 10 cars at the exit on a double line the other day and was soooo tempted, but I didn't. No matter how PO'd I was at him, I wasn't sure it was worth the risk of the guy actually losing his job as opposed to getting a slap on the wrist.

I guess if it were a 3-strikes you are out (3 different incidents) type deal or something, and the trucking services promoted calling them, only then would those call-in #s actually work.

They need to come up with a better system. Trying to read a number and dial or just trying to write a number down for later is as dangerous or more as the guy driving the car.

Of course, I don't have any good ideas, I just think the system isn't great and could be better used.

RoaringBrewer said:
Excellent point...

Maybe we need to actually start using those, "how's my driving" numbers on the back of trucks and delivery vans and we could weed out the d-bags?!

I caught up to the truck that cut off 10 cars at the exit on a double line the other day and was soooo tempted, but I didn't. No matter how PO'd I was at him, I wasn't sure it was worth the risk of the guy actually losing his job as opposed to getting a slap on the wrist.

I guess if it were a 3-strikes you are out (3 different incidents) type deal or something, and the trucking services promoted calling them, only then would those call-in #s actually work.

While using the numbers is good advice, I really dislike the way all forms of the '3 strikes' or 'zero tolerance' policies have been handed in the past. Casts too wide a net with too little room for taking into account mitigating circumstances.

Back