Hi from Vancouver, Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeUltima

Reaction score
:mug: CHEERS!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, newbie brewer in the house... :confused:

Had a friend on my Day of Defeat: Source clan server (Blitz) get me interested into trying out the hobby. Within days I found myself ordering a starter kit and a few odds and ends like a cheap brew pot and digital scale.

After watching some basic brewing videos on youtube, I decided to try to brew some basic beer kits. A Craigtube Channel base with a Homebrewing Video Channel twist. Yes, I know it's the kool-aid approach, but I wanted to learn to crawl before I started walking and tripping all over the place.

To date I've done 1 Cooper's Lager, and 2 Cooper's Draught kits using nothing more than dextrose. Tasting samples in the first 2 weeks had me worried, but it developed into a very enjoyable beer that didn't last very long. Only real complaint was that it wasn't as carbonated as I would have liked. I'm sure slightly warmer temps and/or a little more time would have solved that. That's what learning it all about though right? I've also tried a couple of my aging draughts and they tasted even better than the lager; Can't wait 'till they're ready.

I've now moved into experimenting with other fermentables than dextrose. For example my current brew in the primary is a Cooper's Lager kit + 1KG Honey + 300g Dextrose (I was aiming for a 5.5% beer) I can't wait to see what churns up.

I still got 1 each of the Cooper's Draught, Canadian Blonde, and IPA kits. I got dextrose, maltodextrin, and brown sugar on hand, and I'm trying to acquire some LDME, but my supplier was sold out. I plan to pick some up before my next brew.

After I'm finished with those kits, I was thinking of taking a step up and giving Extract brewing a try. Since it would only require the purchase of a digital thermometer and a little more time to get a much better tasting beer, I figure why not? I would love to taste the difference some fresh grains and hops would make to the brew.

Anyways, I've been drinking my home brews tonight, so I'm rambling... I basically came here to find a social environment to find some help and receive the advice of those who have a little more experience then me in my new favorite hobby.

Glad to meet you all... :tank:

You guys on the mainland have access to a wonderful all wort based kit called Festabrew. It is 23 liters of pure brewers wort which all you really need to do to make great beer is to ferment it out.
It gives you practise in controlling your fermentation temps, level of yeast pitching etc. without having to worry about any of the brewing factors. Sort of get your feet wet first approach.

Anyway welcome to the obsession.

Hey there Vancouverite. There's no substitute for fresh ingredients. If there is some way you can grow your own or source September fresh hops you'll be amazed. Call me next September I'll send you a 4oz bag of Chinook. Seriously.:mug:
HD

Thanks guys, it's great to hear all your encouraging words.

@boo boo
Festabrew eh? Just looked it up and found a supplier in Coquitlam. That sounds very interesting, depending on the price I think I might try a couple of those kits for fun. Thanks for the info.

@hopdawg
Ya, I got a feeling you're right... By the time September rolls around I should be fully into the extract brewing with fresh grains and hops and I would love to take you up on those fresh hops.

Back