Hi from Riverside, California + quick questions :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grze

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just brewed my first beer on Saturday, a hoppy ale... (4oz cascade + 2oz willamette), we'll see how it goes. My main goal is to get a proper double IPA at home :) Wondering how long will it take..

Anyway, if anyone will be reading this, can I ask a newbie question? when you put an airlock on the fermenter do you put a cap on top of the airlock. It kinda misses the point for me as the CO2 won't be able to come off, but that's what I saw on 2-3 Youtube videos...hmm

Airlocks are made so the CO2 can escape but O2 cannot get in. Assuming it's assembled properly.

I think I wasn't clear either. My airlock has three pieces. Main one, the glass tube that goes inside and "jumps" when the air is coming out and the plastic cap that would cover the very top of the airlock. Should that cap be on during fermantation?
It will block the air from coming out and the pressure will rise inside the airlock. Or I am wrong and I should put that on asap?

grze said:
I think I wasn't clear either. My airlock has three pieces. Main one, the glass tube that goes inside and "jumps" when the air is coming out and the plastic cap that would cover the very top of the airlock. Should that cap be on during fermantation?
It will block the air from coming out and the pressure will rise inside the airlock. Or I am wrong and I should put that on asap?

Pretty sure there's only 2 types of airlocks out there and they both have a cap. The one I think ur describing is the same one I use and if u look closely at the cap it has small holes for the gas to escape. You followed the directions and have a sanitized liquid half filling the airlock right? No need to worry, the cap is just a little extra to make sure the pieces stay together when the fermentation gets that middle piece jumpin. Relax and have a (home)brew. :)

Cool. I got it now! Thanks a lot, I started to get worried I could have caused some sanitation issues...But yeah, I sanitized the airlock, filled it half way with pre boiled water, but I didn't put that little plastic lid on top. I'll try to find it in the morning and I'll put it on...I was thinking this is only an element needed for storing the airlock when not used...

photo.jpg

Back