Hi everyone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross.filipek

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to be here. I live in north central Indiana and have been brewing for around 10 years. I'm secretary of the local homebrew club (Michiana Extract & Grain Association).

I've been on a lager kick as of late (my favorite styles being Czech), but also really enjoy English and Scottish pale ale and porter. Difficult to find good examples of those around here, so I've spent a lot of time learning how to brew them. I'm a big fan of historical recipes and I read (and brew) a lot of Ron Pattinson's material.

My system is pretty basic by today's standards. 10-gallon cooler as a mash tun, Spike kettle on a propane burner, and Spike Flex fermenter. I ferment in an upright freezer with a temperature controller, and keg most of what I brew. But I prefer to bottle-condition my British-style beers (Real Ale, you know).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning from you all.

Welcome to HBT!

Although your system is "basic," it's also similar to what half the all-grain homebrewers use (it's a wild guess).

Closed transfers and other ways to prevent any air/O2 ingress once fermentation starts, all the way down to packaging and serving, is the new fashion. Those methods helps enormously with the quality of one's homebrew, from a late fermentation sample to the last pint.

Back