Hi all Newbie here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Hi all, Glenn's the name and I seemed to have picked up a new addiction (",)

I bought, brewed, bottled my first KIT, I know, but i thought id take the easy route into obsession.

The kit was a Coopers Canadian blonde and I just followed the instructions using dextrose......after the initial excitement I came across this site. Only then did I realise there was a better way to brew. Live n learn.

I got an OG of 1043 and a FG of 1010 for 3 days, temp was 21c as per HBS instruction, then bottled using carbonation drops. I'm not expecting much but still can't wait to put on a new batch but would like to experiment a bit to see how hooked I am before trying all grain. Would love some ideas for next brew
Cheers

OhCrap said:
Hi all, Glenn's the name and I seemed to have picked up a new addiction dde04

I bought, brewed, bottled my first KIT, I know, but i thought id take the easy route into obsession.

The kit was a Coopers Canadian blonde and I just followed the instructions using dextrose......after the initial excitement I came across this site. Only then did I realise there was a better way to brew. Live n learn.

I got an OG of 1043 and a FG of 1010 for 3 days, temp was 21c as per HBS instruction, then bottled using carbonation drops. I'm not expecting much but still can't wait to put on a new batch but would like to experiment a bit to see how hooked I am before trying all grain. I'd love yo here some ideas
Cheers

staticmap

How long should I store in bottles before trying a sample or 4. I have them in a dark cupboard at 20c +/-1 (**,)

Welcome Glenn...this is an addiction.
Don't worry about the Cooper's kit most everyone starts with the basic kits.
It will probably turn out fine.
1st let your bottles sit for 2 weeks to ensure carbonation, you will probably try it at 10 days and it might be ok, but few weeks it will settle out and grab a good flavor if you kept everything sanitized.
As for what to do next.
If your Local Home Brew Store (LHBS) has kits that they make, try one of them. If for some reason that is not an option, check out one of these sits and buy some of their kits extract with grains.
Morebeer.com
Northernbrewer.com
Austinhomebrew.com

Next get yourself a good book like John Palmer's How to Brew, if you have a work commute where you can listen to podcasts check out Basic brewing radio podcast, or the Brewing network podcasts.
Basic brewing has some good info and if you go back a couple years you can get some basic brewing information...As for the Brewing network, Most of their shows these days are more about entertainment than brewing, but I think that Jamil Z's shows especially from 2-3 years ago are very informational.

good luck

OhCrap said:
How long should I store in bottles before trying a sample or 4. I have them in a dark cupboard at 20c +/-1 (**,)
Welcome!

I am also new to brewing and on my third batch so I have infinitely more experience than you. From my readings 3 weeks but it will keep getting better and level out at 6 months. Don't fall for the 'freshness' and 'born on date' crap comercial breweries try to sell us. I taste my beer every step of the way and I can tell you it just keep getting better.

Gotta welcome a guy who spells his name just like I do! And you are correct in your thinking: this IS an addiction! Again, welcome to brewing.

glenn514:mug:

Cheers for the advice lads. Living in ireland so only a handful of hbs but I believe my nearest one is the best in terms of ingredients.
I think the sanitising was thorough as i washed and rinsed and washed and rinsed in the stuff i was told to use. Anyway it will be 2 1/2 weeks on 16th march since bottling...... What a coincidence that st. Patrick's day is the 17th, it would be rude NOT to sample a couple then :)

Sample ! Sample! Sample!.... part of being new is not only the process, but understanding how thing change wrt Flavour over time. I have a glass right out of the fermenter everytime and can tell now how it will turn out now

I too started with a Coopers DIY kit I got for Christmas. Mine turned out ok, although a little light on the abv (3%). Added too much water to get the temperature correct I think. But it carbed fine in 3 weeks or so and it is really easy to drink. I also then read all I could here and now have an Imperial Nut brown in the primary. It was a partial boil with some steeping grains and looks, smells, and tastes great already! My abv should be around 6.5% for this one, can't wait til it is done! Good luck!

Welcome to the best sight for OCD people. I'll have an APA 5 weeks & 3 days in the bottle for ST Patty's day myself. Just hoping the weather's good enough to fire up the bbq pit.

Back