Hey! I am a craft brewer too!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know what we're supposed to shoot yet? I thought we'd be getting 'lines' handed to us so that we wouldn't be giving the editors 15x as much footage as they needed.

Are the latest and greatest updates going to appear in this thread, the group, or both?

Just making sure I know where to look...

I was just ging to shoot me Saying "I am a Home brewer" a few times in front of my rig while brewing and send in the one I like best. Then maybe recite the paragraph from Earlier while holding a pint in front of the keezer. The editor can then use as much or whatever parts they want.

hmmm hopefully this whole project won't pass me by - I'm busy packing my crap and fixing up the house. I was going to try to have it on the market by this weekend. Could be quite a while before I get a chance to do a clip. We'll see...

Ok, I'll grab the reigns for this in a couple days and get the timeline and details squared away with everyone so we're all going to do something easy, efficient, and (hopefully) fun.

Ya, we need to nail down a "script" and who is sending what to where. I can definitely host a fair share of the footage.

I'm brewing either sunday or monday and plan on shooting something at that point...

I have been piecing together the "participants" and assigning a variety of lines for people to shoot. I have ideas for things to shoot as well. If the editors have insight for shooting, shots, sound, etc. they can provide that. I will finish the assignment of lines/shots to people and post by 5pm est tomorrow.

I would love to be a part of this! Is it too late submit anything? Also, I work in television and really understand the editing process...I don't have the equipment but I can certainly colaborate and add some know-how if you need it.

Am I too late???

-Tripod

Man, I always find the cool threads late. I too would like to participate if there's still a spot. I have an average MiniDV camcorder, nothing special but not awful either.

I'd also like to offer up web space if something is needed in addition to the FTP access mentioned earlier. I have a VPS with essentially unlimited monthly bandwidth and storage, so I'd be happy to host any files. I just tested it and can max my home connection at 1.5 megabytes a second, so it's fairly speedy. In case some folks have trouble with FTP, there's also lots of awesome open-source scripting out there than can take care of this. I threw together a quick demo, currently it's only accepting image files (ie .jpgs) (please don't goatse me)

Anyway, let me know if I can help

Ya, I know there are some good guitar players out there, maybe something acoustic for the background would be nice. I'm not trying to steal all the glory but I play guitar/record music for fun and have some ambient type stuff we could use, too.

Ooo...Ooo... I can help with music too! :rockin:

I have been piecing together the "participants" and assigning a variety of lines for people to shoot. I have ideas for things to shoot as well. If the editors have insight for shooting, shots, sound, etc. they can provide that. I will finish the assignment of lines/shots to people and post by 5pm est tomorrow.

waitin' for my lines then. Good to see someone take control. Al ot of the time we have great ideas here but it's hard to get someone to take control. Kudos

Awesome, thanks!

I was all up in this idea and trying to get things going, and then my father decided it was his time to check out. Thanks for taking the initiative.

Before I finalize a script, here is who I have as participants:

1. Boerderij Kabouter
2. Chumprock
3. TwoHeadsBrewing
4. cyberbackpacker
5. deepsouth
6. blue_bmw2
7. GilaMinumBeer
8. Matt Up North
9. PintOfBitter
10. RogerMcAllen
11. jamesnw
12. SkewedAle
13. tspilker
14. Ferrousity
15. Ice9
16. McKBrew
17. Sigafoos
18. Kungpaodog
19. IrregularPulse
20. olllllo
21. Hayabusa
22. Chefchris
23. Kelsch
24. Edcculus
25. Woollybugger2
26. Humann_brewing
27. Mmb
28. Joe C
29. Tripod
30. Displaced Masshole
31. Caspio
32. Homercidal

Let me know if I left anyone out.

Participants have been capped.

I went to the beginning of this thread and actually added some participants that were not on the list before I "capped" it. If these people do not want to participate, people such as aubrey will be "alternates" and alerted as such.

Waiting list
aubrey

:)

CAPPED LIST
1. Boerderij Kabouter
2. Chumprock
3. TwoHeadsBrewing
4. cyberbackpacker
5. deepsouth
6. blue_bmw2
7. GilaMinumBeer
8. Matt Up North
9. PintOfBitter
10. RogerMcAllen
11. jamesnw
12. SkewedAle
13. tspilker
14. Ferrousity
15. Ice9
16. McKBrew
17. Sigafoos
18. Kungpaodog
19. IrregularPulse
20. olllllo
21. Hayabusa
22. Chefchris
23. Kelsch
24. Edcculus
25. Woollybugger2
26. Humann_brewing
27. Mmb
28. Joe C
29. Tripod
30. Displaced Masshole
31. Caspio
32. Homercidal
33. The Pol
34. magnj
35. michaelm
36. beerjunky828
37. Denny’s Evil Concoctions
38. gnoeou
39. aleforge
40. Pi Kapp Beer Guy
41. apparatus
42. Pseudochef
43. skinnyshamrock
44. Dude

EDIT: Chumprock, can you update the OP?

Here are the shot/lines assignments and Shooting Rules and Ideas. Please read all of the information. NOTE: The shooting script is below the assignments; it has been revised and edited. Next to each shot/line is the line number.

PARTICIPANT SHOTS/LINES

1. Boerderij Kabouter 1, 13, 47, 58, 66, 90
2. Chumprock 2, 21, 43, 48, 65, 90
3. TwoHeadsBrewing 3, 22, 42, 49, 64, 90
4. cyberbackpacker 4, 23, 41, 63, 78, 90
5. deepsouth 24, 40, 50, 62, 82, 90
6. blue_bmw2 14, 25, 39, 51, 61, 90
7. GilaMinumBeer 12, 26, 38, 52, 60, 90
8. Matt Up North 11, 27, 37, 53, 79, 90
9. PintOfBitter 10, 29, 36, 54, 90
10. RogerMcAllen 9, 35, 55, 77, 90
11. jamesnw 8, 34, 56, 76, 90
12. SkewedAle 7, 20, 33, 57, 75, 90
13. tspilker 6, 32, 58, 70, 80, 90
14. Ferrousity 5, 17, 31, 59, 81, 90
15. Ice9 29, 52, 60, 78, 90
16. McKBrew 15, 29, 51, 61, 90
17. Sigafoos 19, 28, 50, 62, 90
18. Kungpaodog 8, 20, 30, 49, 74, 90
19. IrregularPulse 9, 21, 48, 64, 90
20. olllllo 22, 47, 55, 65, 89, 90
21. Hayabusa 23, 46, 56, 66, 88, 90
22. Chefchris 24, 45, 59, 67, 87, 90
23. Kelsch 25, 44, 68, 86, 90
24. Edcculus 26, 47, 69, 85, 90
25. Woollybugger2 27, 54, 70, 89, 90
26. Humann_brewing 16, 28, 71, 88, 90
27. Mmb 18, 29, 72, 87, 90
28. Joe C 17, 30, 73, 86, 90
29. Tripod 16, 31, 74, 85, 90
30. Displaced Masshole 15, 32, 75, 84, 90
31. Caspio 14, 33, 49, 76, 90
32. Homercidal 13, 34, 62, 77, 90
33. The Pol 12, 35, 61, 79, 90
34. magnj 11, 36, 60, 80, 90
35. michaelm 10, 37, 77, 81, 90
36. beerjunky828 9, 38, 53, 79, 90
37. Denny’s Evil Concoctions 11, 39, 54, 74, 90
38. gnoeou 7, 40, 73, 84, 90
39. aleforge 6, 41, 72, 85, 90
40. Pi Kapp Beer Guy 5, 42, 71, 86, , 90
41. apparatus 18, 43, 70, 87, 90
42. Pseudochef 3, 44, 69, 88, 90
43. skinnyshamrock 2, 45, 68, 89, 90
44. Dude 1, 19, 46, 57, 67, 90

NEEDED!!! SHOTS/LINES 82,83- FIRST TIME drinking/brewing homebrew people needed!!!

Rules and Ideas for shots:

Re-watch the “I Am a Craft Brewer” video before filming. Notice that there are not very many “action” shots. Think of the following ideas as things to include within the “Frame” of the shot, not necessarily doing the action.

However, I do believe pouring a beer, pulling a draft, stirring, etc. can be done and would add some flow to the video. In these instances take multiple “takes” of the same line- one while doing the action, the other take more “static” and merely reciting the lines.

Having the shots resemble the IAACB video (i.e. talking to the camera) will help draw the parallel to the original, but also maybe MORE IMPORTANTLY also promote a greater rate of success for the AUDIO to be clear and usable to the editors.

SHOOTING RULES:

Before each SHOT/LINE: start recording and state which shot/line is about to be recited. Wait ten seconds, then do the shot/line and wait at least 10 more seconds and RECORD A SECOND TAKE. After your lines of your second take wait another ten seconds before you stop recording or begin your next round of recording.

If recording your lines consecutively without stopping the recording, repeat the above steps for each shot (i.e. shot 1- state line, wait ten seconds, do line, wait ten seconds, do second shot, wait ten seconds, state shot 2 line number, wait ten seconds, do line, wait ten seconds, do shot 2 take 2, wait ten seconds, state shot 3 line number, repeat, etc.)

RECORD ALL OF YOUR SHOTS/LINES in ASCENDING ORDER (for example: do shoot 23, then 41, then 53, then 81)

Doing the above will help the editors and ensure a higher success rate for your shot/line being included.

Shot/Lines Ideas

SHOT IDEAS:
BOLDED items give strongly recommended shots for people assigned those particular shots/lines

• Group shots- get other people in your area in a shot- enforces the community aspect of homebrewing. (especially shot/lines 60 and 61)
• Shots with homebrew in your hand (MANDATORY for 69-87)
• Shots while de-labeling bottles
• Shots while kegging, bottling, etc.
• Shots while cleaning, sanitizing, etc.
• Shots in your hop yards
• Shots in front of your brew closets, basements, etc
• Shots in your bars/breweries
• Shots in front of keezers/kegerators
• Shots while at your computer on HBT
• Shots in front of fermenters
• Shots of pouring a homebrew
• Shots while pulling a draft
• Shots in front of stove top brewing (especially for shots/lines 28-30 and 52-56)
• Shots in front of turkey fryer, outdoor, non-bling brewing (especially for shots/lines 28-30 & 52-56)
• Shots in front of brew sculpture *bling* brewing (especially for shots/lines 28-30 and 52-56)
• Shots while milling
• Shots at your LHBS
• Shots of racking (to keg, to bottling bucket)
• Shots inside
• Shots outside
• Shots with ingredients in background (especially for shots/lines 38-44)
• Shots with hydrometers, refractometers, scales, yeast
• Shots starters going on stir plates
• Shots sharing homebrew (especially shots/lines 59-60 and 68-70)
• Shots at barbecues, parties, etc
• Shots with family helping with brew activities, or with whole families in the shots with you
• WHATEVER else epitomizes home brewing to you! Be creative, but keep it PG rated

SCRIPT- SHOT/LINES

1. I am a craft brewer.
2. I am a home brewer.
3. I love good beer.
4. I am passionate about good beer.
5. For the past 50 years, beers in the hands of average Americans have been put there by ad men, mega-corporations, and snake-oil salesmen.
6. People who promise one thing, and deliver nothing.
7. Only focused on how much their selling
8. Instead of what they are selling.
9. But not any more.
10. Since 1978 home brewing has been a legal option for people who love beer in the United States.
11. Tell me I can’t do it.
12. Ask me why I don’t buy my beer like everyone else.
13. Call me naive.
14. Call me a Revolutionary.
15. Home brewing is innovation.
16. Independence.
17. Curiosity.
18. Collaboration.
19. Character.
20. And family.
21. It is built on the American dream.
22. The only way to fail as a home brewer is to quit
23. Home brewing has integrity
24. Tradition
25. And a style all its own.
26. Home brewers create community, and make communities better places.
27. Home brewing is rooted in the earliest of civilized traditions, and crosses all borders, cultures, and distances.
28. Home brewing is happening from America to Australia, and is practiced throughout the world.
29. We are small.
30. We are not Micro.
31. We are not Nano or Pico (at least most of us).
32. We are a community that is supportive.
33. Authentic.
34. Local.
35. And diverse.
36. We are risk takers.
37. We are hard working.
38. We don’t chase after trends, we chase after great beer.
39. A little over 100 years ago there were 3000 breweries in the United States.
40. Around that same time, mega corporations decided to put corn in their beer.
41. Decided to put rice in their beer.
42. I don’t put corn in my beer.
43. I don’t put rice in my beer.
44. Everything I put in my beer
45. I choose because it enhances the flavor.
46. I am not afraid.
47. I am not afraid of brewing my beer to be more interesting, rather than less.
48. If you want lowest common denominator beer, that's up to you.
49. All beer is good, some is just better than others.
50. These are unprecedented times in the history of American brewing.
51. While the monolithic industrial brewers continue to get more monolithic
52. Its craft brewers that have been capturing the hearts and minds of the American public.
53. Today America is considered by experts and beer enthusiasts everywhere as the most exciting place in the world for great beer.
54. American craft brewers are proud to have changed the reputation of beer in this country from lowly, too elevated.
55. Home brewers are proud to have inspired men and women to become craft brewers.
56. Many of those same craft brewers that are changing the global opinion of American beer started out brewing on their kitchen stove, or over an open flame.
57. There are an estimated 750,000 home brewers in the United States, and we have contributed, and are still contributing, to a momentum that cannot be stopped.
58. We are socially conscious, stylistically adventurous, and categorically devoted to creating great beer.
59. We must illuminate our strengths, keep true to our standards, and never stop in our attempts to make even better beer.
60. We must always hold on to our spirit of camaraderie.
61. We must educate and inspire those who do not understand or are unfamiliar with what we do.
62. We believe in quality, bold character, fun, responsibility and we believe in pushing boundaries.
63. We are the heart and soul of what great beer can be.
64. We are all craft brewers.
65. We are all home brewers.
66. We must honor and hold true to our craft.
67. We must honor and hold true to our integrity.
68. We must honor and hold true to each other.
69. We must spread the message.
70. We must share great beer.
71. We must share our great beer.
72. Relax.
73. Don’t Worry
74. Have a Homebrew.
75. I’d like to raise a toast.
76. To beers that were home brewed!
77. I brewed this beer.
78. I brewed this beer.
79. I brewed this beer.
80. I brewed this beer.
81. I brewed this beer.
82. This is my first home brewed beer.
83. Me too.
84. To you.
85. To us!
86. On three and then cheers.
87. 1..
88. 2..
89. 3..
90. CHEERS!

If you no longer plan on participating please respond to me via pm and in this thread so I may edit as necessary and make the necessary arrangements to make sure we have the lines covered.

Would a few of you guys mind splitting the list of "participants" up and sending a personal PM to them to verify their commitment to this?

For LINES 82-83 maybe some of us could get shots of some of our family/friends saying the lines-- that is some of our family and friends that have yet to try homebrew!

My filming partner has not had homebrew before. He can be giving a toast with me in 82/83 but if someone else can step in who is brewing for the first time that would be better.

Both jamesnw and myself have offered FTP space. I also posted a link two pages back to a sample upload script that makes posting as easy as the big file drop sites, but hosted by myself so no file size limit.

Edit: What sort of file sizes were we looking for? I just did the math, and a decent DSL or cable internet package would take 4-5 hours to upload a 100 megabyte file. I know that large universities actually just mail hard drive arrays back and forth for sharing scientific data because it's faster and cheaper than an internet transfer. If we're thinking a lot higher quality, or if folks just have a slow net connection, I'd be happy to have folks mail DVDs or cds to me and then I can upload them. That same 100 meg file would only take me 6 minutes to upload on my internet connection.

Both jamesnw and myself have offered FTP space. I also posted a link two pages back to a sample upload script that makes posting as easy as the big file drop sites, but hosted by myself so no file size limit.

Edit: What sort of file sizes were we looking for? I just did the math, and a decent DSL or cable internet package would take 4-5 hours to upload a 100 megabyte file. I know that large universities actually just mail hard drive arrays back and forth for sharing scientific data because it's faster and cheaper than an internet transfer. If we're thinking a lot higher quality, or if folks just have a slow net connection, I'd be happy to have folks mail DVDs or cds to me and then I can upload them. That same 100 meg file would only take me 6 minutes to upload on my internet connection.

What program do you use for that FTP front? I looked at some, but yours looks a lot better. I'm still willing to host.

It's just some free/open source flash and java scripting. I just took 5 minutes to tweak some settings and dropped it on my server. You can choose the directory it'll drop uploads in, and then editors could be given FTP access.

project is here: SWFUpload News | SWFUpload

LOL... did you get to record in the canyon?

No it was very windy and the sound got too bad for the audio. I have this in HD though, not sure how useable it is but here is the rough cut.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWh26iLa2i4]YouTube - Untitled (8)[/ame]

I will try and figure out when I will be able to get this done, but I am definitely still in!

For about 12 days I'm completely swamped due to work, but I will make damn sure I get this done. I'm really excited to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back