Hey! I am a craft brewer too!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has the skills to edit this together?

I DMed Greg Koch via the IAACB account, we'll see what he says. I have also opened IAAHB on twitter and will turn the keys over at some point.

I will be in. i have a flip video that cost like $100. We could just mail one from one to another so that it is all shot on one kind of medium. Just an overacheiving thought.

I'm in, and +1 to cyber's well written script.

Might be a good idea to set a video requirement, and possibly set up an online upload location. 720x480 mpeg2 would be an easy format for most. Many probably don't have the ability to shoot HD or mess around with more advanced codecs.

I hope I'm not too late to contribute.

I'd love to see, "I don't fear the foam" at least once, but preferably repeated several times with foam monsters crawling out of kegs, buckets, fermenters, etc.

I have some web space that people can use- will most people be able to figure out FTP? Or do we need to find another way to transfer the files?

I have access to a lot of video file conversion software, so I could probably use pretty much anything or compress it for whoever is actually doing it if I don't.

I have some web space that people can use- will most people be able to figure out FTP? Or do we need to find another way to transfer the files?

I have access to a lot of video file conversion software, so I could probably use pretty much anything or compress it for whoever is actually doing it if I don't.

we're homebrewers, man! the spirit of ingenuity cannot be quenched!

I bet everyone will be able to figure out FTP. Video encoding isn't too hard to figure out, and I'm sure there are many here with the expertise to help out in a pinch.

I work as an editor/technical advisor for video and film editing. And have access to a lot of resorced. I would be interested in helping...

excellent ...I too watched this video this morning over my coffee (before I found this thread) and thought about a homebrew version. I will participate, and I can film anyone in my area (Jacksonville FL) who is interested. I have HD camera gear, wireless lav mics, etc..

Just let me know where to upload the clips

Also, I think it might be good to set a short (like 1 minute) limit on individual contributions, otherwise who ever edits is going to have WAY more than they can use/sift through. If enough people contribute a few lines they will all get covered

James and SkewedAle, you both stated you do this work regularly, maybe you two could talk and come up with a system that would work best for one, both, more of you to actually edit this together.

I was a film major in school many moons ago, and I remember tackling projects like these... I believe a basic shot list, some simple shooting tips (rule of thirds?!? for framing the shot, shoot with the sun behind the camera, etc.) would also make editing all of these various sources and quality of sources a bit more polished in the end and less of a headache for you the editors. Granted we cannot expect professional video quality from everybody, but we are homebrewers, we should strive for the highest quality we can reasonably achieve, and good framing, lighting, etc is achievable by all!

My .02 and I appreciate you guys with the know how and resources stepping up to edit this project.

That all sounds like a good idea, cyberbackpacker. I have access to HD equipment, too, as well as studio space, etc.

I am down for doing some shoots in the Chicago area, that sounds like fun for sure, and I'm definitely into editing this stuff. I have a lot of experience with motion graphics as well, we could class this up and make it cool...

The ideas are already flowing! :mug:

Wow... I do not have HD equipment. I do know a thing or two about shooting and have some OK equipment...

Anyone in the Milwaukee area up to help out? I could try talking to the UW Milwaukee film school and see if they would be interested in helping.

Do any of you experienced Film/Video producing folks have any tips for those of us submitting videos on how to keep it simple, or what we can do to ease the burden of editing?

Also, updated the list of contributors. Let me know if I missed you or you are interested in submitting a video.

Totally awesome and moving video. I'd be interested in helping out on our version of this.

do we have someone that really wants to take charge of this and start heading it up and making plans/deadlines?

I have no problem trying to keep things organized for this, but I'd really love some input from the video editing folks as to how we could best proceed in a simple and not overly-confusing fashion :)

Not to say that everyone shouldn't participate. But perhaps we should cap a final list of people (if it gets so big) to like 75 or 100 because I have edited together 5 minutes of film from an hour and it took me alone like a week in a dark room surviving off coffee and small children. I could only guess the problem that you will run into trying to get 100 minutes of film into 5 minutes while using only a snippet of each one.

I looked at the homebrew script and envisioned 95 cuts. Others might want to split up up differently, but that is ball park anyway. If you over-chop or under-chop the effect and flow is lost. So if we used 1 person for each cut, that would be 95 people. I think the 30 range would be better and honestly would be surprised if we got that many videos out of people.

The editing for this thing really shouldn't be to bad. I doubt we will be doing separate sound and we don't need any graphic manipulation (unless someone wants to really get into this). Should be as simple as picking the good shots and cutting them together.

As was mentioned earlier, don't get your hopes up for a beautiful piece of work. It will be "homebrewed" and I am just fine with that. Unless we get an actual film studio in each area to help out, we will have a very wide range of picture format and shooting skills going on.

It is a fun project, lets keep it fun so no one has to work!

I'm in. I'll try and do my toast part from the Grand Canyon or the bottom this weekend and the rest at home. I'll be drinking a canned craft, but I guess that will be the video Easter Egg.

I'm in too. I have a decent camera (and have access to HD ones if really needed). Let me know what and when (and in what format) and you'll have it. (if we need an extra person I could ask my BOV partner in crime; he's the one with the good equipment anyway)

I agree that everyone doing the entire speech would be WAY too much editing. I say give each person 1-5 nonsequential lines (depending on the number of people) and have them record it 5-10 times at varying speeds/intonations.

Thinking about the 'I brewed this beer' section is giving me goosebumps. I don't think there should be more than ~5 of them though or it'll go on too long.

I like the idea of assigning lines to each person. For example, if we have twenty people, then someone could assign person #1 lines 1, 21, and 41. Person #2 would get lines 2, 22, and 42 and so on. I didn't do an exact count, but this could make it easier for whoever is editing the final cut.

If we get a final count on who is in, I'd be happy to assign lines to people if the help would be appreciated.

I agree that everyone doing the entire speech would be WAY too much editing. I say give each person 1-5 nonsequential lines (depending on the number of people) and have them record it 5-10 times at varying speeds/intonations.

Thinking about the 'I brewed this beer' section is giving me goosebumps. I don't think there should be more than ~5 of them though or it'll go on too long.

What if we got some video editing wizard to put everyone's "I brewed this beer" line together on one screen? Is this easy/possible? Or maybe:

"I brewed this beer" -one person on screen
"I brewed this beer"-two people on split screen
"I brewed this beer"-4 people on split screen
"I brewed this beer"-16 people on split screen

What if we got some video editing wizard to put everyone's "I brewed this beer" line together on one screen? Is this easy/possible? Or maybe:

"I brewed this beer" -one person on screen
"I brewed this beer"-two people on split screen
"I brewed this beer"-4 people on split screen
"I brewed this beer"-16 people on split screen

Most editing software will do this pretty easily. A bit of work, but not more than 30 minutes or so.

We'd have to make sure people used the same tempo then, so it wouldn't be a garbled mess, but that could be a nice effect.

What we need now, is for one (or more) of the editors to verify they will cut this project for us... jamesnw, skewedale, other? Post here or message chumprock so he can update the first page. The editors and possibly one or two others (I will volunteer) will then be the technical team.

From there we will develop a real simple shooting strategy (use a tripod or solid surface to "mount" camera while shooting, do not place your subject in the direct middle of the frame while taping, etc.), assign lines to people, tell them to do multiple takes of each, areas/things to shoot (inside/outside, brewing, cleaning, drinking, sitting/standing, etc.)

Once the technical was developed, the first post would be update again with instructions, including format to shoot, how to upload to jamesnw ftp if that is the direction we take, etc.

So, editors step up! In the meantime I will begin putting together a shooting list, tips, lines, etc.

Put me on that thar list. I plan on filming mine in front of the keezer and in front of my ghetto Rig-O-the-Day next brew day.

Unless someone in the Ohio region has some nice equipment they'd like to do an Central Ohio Brew/Filimg day?

One thing that might be fun is if we throw in a couple lines not in English- maybe sign language or Spanish or whatever people on here speak. Not a lot of this- maybe 2 or 3 lines total that have been said by others already or something.

As far as FTP- I have it ready. I'd rather not post the login and password publicly, but can PM it to everyone who needs it. I have over 100 gigs of storage, so we should be fine.

And I'm willing to edit it. I have Final Cut, so maybe I could collaborate with people who have that as well?

What we need now, is for one (or more) of the editors to verify they will cut this project for us... jamesnw, skewedale, other? Post here or message chumprock so he can update the first page. The editors and possibly one or two others (I will volunteer) will then be the technical team.

From there we will develop a real simple shooting strategy (use a tripod or solid surface to "mount" camera while shooting, do not place your subject in the direct middle of the frame while taping, etc.), assign lines to people, tell them to do multiple takes of each, areas/things to shoot (inside/outside, brewing, cleaning, drinking, sitting/standing, etc.)

Once the technical was developed, the first post would be update again with instructions, including format to shoot, how to upload to jamesnw ftp if that is the direction we take, etc.

So, editors step up! In the meantime I will begin putting together a shooting list, tips, lines, etc.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've taken it a step further and created a group on this site for the production efforts.

HomeBrewTalk Groups - I am a craft brewer video

If the editors and anyone who wants to contribute would join that group we can collaborate a lot of the work and information in one easy to find place!

I'm subscribed to the group; that means I'll get an email when new topics, etc, are posted, right? Excellent!

One thing that might be fun is if we throw in a couple lines not in English- maybe sign language or Spanish or whatever people on here speak. Not a lot of this- maybe 2 or 3 lines total that have been said by others already or something.

This is such a great idea! Leave it to homebrewers to improve on the pros!:mug:

I just got around to going through the entire thread. I think its a great idea! The video almost brought tears to my eyes.

It looks like most of the basics are covered. FTP for submitting raw video, script etc. If its still needed during the project, I could submit a video too. I should have access to an HD camera. I have a pretty decent 3ccd camera though. You should probably specify format, encoding, PAL/NTSC, resolution and even aspect ratio in the end. I've never dealt with footage from a lot of different sources before though.

My computer is acting funny, but if push comes to shove, I might be able to donate some editing time. I have an older version of Premiere Pro, and maybe even a version of After Effects. It might be a good idea to get several people with Final Cut, Premiere, or better to help clean up and standardize the raw footage. Then the most talented editor (read NOT ME!;)) can cut it all together.

I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to get Jamil, Palmer and even Graham Sanders to submit a video. Though Graham would argue that we should be calling ourselves Craft Brewers also. Besides this site, they are all very influential people in my brewing knowledge.

FINALLY, I don't remember if I saw anything in the script about the homebrewer's mantra. it would be cool to do a bunch of cuts near the end saying:

So sit back, (cut)
Relax! (cut)
Dont worry (cut)
Have a Homebrew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back