HERMS setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
Question: with a 2 burners, 8 gal. HLT, 15 gal. BK, and a 17.5 gallon(60 quart) cooler for the MLT...I could do 10 gal. batches correct? The HLT only needs to be big enough for the sparge water and heat exchanger coil, correct? I also know I would need one pump (two tier system).

Thanks.

I would want a larger HLT. Although I guess it depends on if your batch sparging or fly sparging. I fly sparge and use 7-8 gals for high gravity 5 gal beers.

Ahh, conflicting responses. Please keep in mind that I already have the SS 8 gal. pot and selling that for a slightly larger one would be a waste. If it is possible to do with just slightly less sparge water for the big beers only, then I will stay with what I have. If it just doesn't make sense, then I guess I have to find a bigger HLT. I want the option to brew 10 gal. batches, but those will likely be mid ABV session beers.

Back