HERMS/Copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
So I am thinking of using my immersion chiller coil for my HERMS coil on my new system. Any side effects I am not thinking of?

Trying to save some cash by reusing my old system for the new one.

Thanks!

are you going to put it thru the lid or thru kettle walls?

If thru walls, there's possibility that the copper isn't totally round so might have issues with the joint... then you have to get creative with known round pipe into the kettle wall compression fitting with silicon tubing joining the sections together... IT WORKS, just not ideal

I used an old immersion chiller as a temporary HERMS coil in my test rig. I didn't use bulkhead fittings, so no issues with leaking connections. It worked well enough to convince me to go to a permanent setup with bulkheads.

I was going to use compression fittings to go through the walls. What if I used a copper bender and bring around a corny keg to make it round?

Honestly dunno... my stainless immersion chiller was commercially acquired

Here's what a rigged version looks like, works but doesn't look perfect like some other builds on here

hermstop.jpg

looking at the straps.. top to bottom in the pic

top: goes around solid portion of compression fitting to 2nd row of herms coil (holds coil in place, if not then silicon tube elongates and allows coil to drop)
middle: Short piece of tube protruding out of compression fitting
bottom: the main herms coil itself

I used an old immersion chiller as a HERMS coil for a couple of years. I didn't put it through the kettle walls at all and it worked great! Here is how it looked in my setup:
1891257_10201951962933816_1459267151_n.jpg

The immersion chiller/HERMS coil is peeking out over the top of the vessel on the right. You can see how the input and output of the coil remain unchanged from its former usage as a chiller.

I have since put an in-vessel stainless coil which I love even more, but like I said, this option worked great in a pinch and I used it for a couple of years this way. Bonus: when I did upgrade I was able to sell it as an immersion chiller since it remained un-altered.

Is it a 3/8ths IM coil or 1/2in diameter wise?
I would honestly worry about that more than copper vs SS.

After using 1/2 inch coil in my setup, I am not sure I would get as solid of a flow or be able to regulate temps as well as I do with anything smaller diameter wise than my 1/2in for my 10gal setup.
YMMV though.

You can get a 50ft - 1/2in SS coil here for about as much as a copper IM costs..

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/

I think it is ½ copper. I might not bend it any more and just have the pipes out of the top.

Back