Heretic Brewing - Jamil's Going Pro!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I`ve never met him I have learned a tremendous amount from his pod casts and books (Brewing Classic Styles and Yeast) He doesn't seem to hold back any knowledge and even provides the pitching calculator for free. Good luck JZ and good for you.

What would you like confirmed?

It will be an alternating proprietorship with EJ Phair.

Jamil will be the "Chief Heretic"/Brew master, I will be his head brewer.

We do not yet know what the first beer will be.

No date can be pinned down yet on when we will be up and brewing, though February/early March seems realistic at this point.

We are slated to be serving at the NHC Pro Night, and almost certainly the BN Anniversary Party.

Don't expect any sort of standard BJCP styles out of us, at least not right at the beginning.

I will say that sours/brett beers are a near certainty out of us eventually.

Are you leaving Yak and Yeti and Headed West?

What would you like confirmed?

It will be an alternating proprietorship with EJ Phair.

Jamil will be the "Chief Heretic"/Brew master, I will be his head brewer.

We do not yet know what the first beer will be.

No date can be pinned down yet on when we will be up and brewing, though February/early March seems realistic at this point.

We are slated to be serving at the NHC Pro Night, and almost certainly the BN Anniversary Party.

Don't expect any sort of standard BJCP styles out of us, at least not right at the beginning.

I will say that sours/brett beers are a near certainty out of us eventually.

Thank you!!! I couldnt have asked for more.

And to you hater... I have heard JZ say suckit.:fro:

He claims they will be serving samples at NHC in June. I know my brew club is talking about getting a brew bus tour going in a few months and the organizer talked to Jamil about making Heretic a part of the tour.

well.... its almost spring! Heretic is only a 5 minute drive from my mother in laws house and im going to visit her this Sunday. I was hoping to drop in...

I bet if someone was around they'd give you the quick tour, but hard to say what the situation will be.

I cant even access there website. Its just the main "are you 21" page and thats it.

Im curious as to what there beer will taste like. There is so much hype about this brewery its not funny. They are already selling stickers, shirts and glassware. They are not even open yet!

I cant even access there website. Its just the main "are you 21" page and thats it.

Im curious as to what there beer will taste like. There is so much hype about this brewery its not funny. They are already selling stickers, shirts and glassware. They are not even open yet!

Yeah, that is all it is for now. At the bottom of the page it says Spring 2011. The Twitter and Facebook pages are being updated somewhat regularly. There are links on the website homepage.

Well since im so close i can ship bottled beer when they do open. Even though they are not planning on bottling much (only bombers)

I gotta ask... why do they call it "Pro" just because someone moves into selling beer commercially? Jamil has probably been looked at as a pro for quite some time already due to his knowledge, I can't see how opening a business gives someone the automatic pro status. What about if some rich noobie with the money to open a brewery after only a few months of brewing does it... are they to be considered "Pro" as well? I'd hope not.

I see the same thing with astronomy. There are so called "Amateur astronomers" that have been more beneficial to the scientific community then many paid "professional" astronomers. So why are they world renowned and still listed as Amateur Astronomer? Just cause they don't get a paycheck for doing it?

/rant :D

Rev2010 said:
I gotta ask... why do they call it "Pro" just because someone moves into selling beer commercially? Jamil has probably been looked at as a pro for quite some time already due to his knowledge, I can't see how opening a business gives someone the automatic pro status. What about if some rich noobie with the money to open a brewery after only a few months of brewing does it... are they to be considered "Pro" as well? I'd hope not.

I see the same thing with astronomy. There are so called "Amateur astronomers" that have been more beneficial to the scientific community then many paid "professional" astronomers. So why are they world renowned and still listed as Amateur Astronomer? Just cause they don't get a paycheck for doing it?

Brewing for money = pro
Brewing for hobby = amateur

Playing sports for money = pro
You get the idea.

I see your point, but he was a professional writer and beer consultant, but never a pro brewer.

But its all hype, he has a lot to live up to.

Edit: not to mention a license to brew commercially.

Does anyone know when Heretic is going to open?

We are optimistic that we will be brewing in May. There are always hold ups when opening up a brewery, and for us it is no different. Mostly we are just waiting for final TTB approval.

Our fermenters are arriving in just a few days, EJ Phair is putting the finishing touches on the brewing system. Everybody is very anxious to get going.

We should still be on track for having beer at NHC Pro Night.

For the record, we don't have any glassware at all. :)

Hold on, Push has an account on here?!?! This post might be as rare as the occasional Jamil sighting on HBT! I suppose I could post more over at the BN, but this site keeps me so busy...

I can probably draw Tasty out, let me go ahead and set the hook:

Per my profile, I'm brewing Janet's Brown on Saturday, any suggestions?

Now I sit back and wait! :D

hold on, push has an account on here?!?! This post might be as rare as the occasional jamil sighting on hbt! I suppose i could post more over at the bn, but this site keeps me so busy...

I can probably draw tasty out, let me go ahead and set the hook:

Per my profile, i'm brewing janet's brown on saturday, any suggestions?

Now i sit back and wait! :d

lol :d

It seems you're confusing the word "professional" with the word "expert".

Amateur is unpaid for the activity though they may be a novice or expert at that task. Once you are paid specifically for doing a task, you are a professional xxxxxxxx, whether you're a novice or expert or anywhere in between. I'm actually a professional video blogger on youtube but that doesn't say a damn thing about whether I'm good at it or not.

Hold on, Push has an account on here?!?! This post might be as rare as the occasional Jamil sighting on HBT! I suppose I could post more over at the BN, but this site keeps me so busy...

I can probably draw Tasty out, let me go ahead and set the hook:

Per my profile, I'm brewing Janet's Brown on Saturday, any suggestions?

Now I sit back and wait! :D

Damn that is a TASTY recipe! Brewed that last year and loved it.

Maybe we could get someone to sneak a couple of bottles out of the taproom to ship across the states to a poor homebrewer in Michigan? All under the table of course...

So are you guys building a giant jamil-o-chiller or are you going to let all of the hop aroma escape in the whirlpool ;)

Back