Here is my first attempt on a DDH hazy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyv

Reaction score
IMG_4204.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

*I am new to home brewing, this is only my 4th batch*
Ok, so I was going for a clone on Belching Beavers double dry hopped IPA and ended up with something completely different. Which is ok. For me, it is great. I’ll be taking it to work tonight for the co-workers to try so we will see what everyone says. For now, here is the recipe. Please let me know what could make this better other than my obvious mistakes. Thank you!

11 lbs Golden promise
2 lbs flakes Oates
8 oz Carahell

1 oz Gelena boil 30 min

2oz Idaho 7 whirlpool
2oz Mosaic whirlpool
1oz Citra whirlpool
1oz Jarrylo whirlpool

Omega Yeast OYL-200 Tropical IPA

Day 4 of fermentation 1st dry hop addition
1oz Jarrylo
1oz Citra
2oz Mosaic
2oz Idaho 7

Day 9 2nd dry hop addition
2oz Citra
2oz Idaho 7
2oz Jarrylo
2oz Mosaic

**Side notes**
I messed up... obviously I’m new. I was impatient and didn’t want any bacteria getting into the wort so I didn’t wait to pitch the yeast at 70 degrees and instead I pitched at 88 degrees. Starting Gravity was 1058 and final gravity was 1014

Notes on tasting:
First smell, passion fruit, banana, and pear. Smells very sweet. However, it has a slight smell of rubbing alcohol. I’m guessing that is from pitching the yeast at too high of a temp

Tasting: A subtle earthy, grassy, taste of the above fruit scents. And also a bit of alcohol.

1. You like it
2. You want to share it
Mission accomplished!
The high pitching temp probably didn’t do much. The esters are probably swallowed up by the hops. I bet your bias is getting the rubbing alcohol because your expecting it. Rdwhahb :)

Never had Belching Beavers so I'm not sure what you're aiming for, but this would be my 2 cents:

DAMN, that is a lot of dry hopping. I'm assuming you're brewing a 5 gallon batch so you could cut the dry hop amount in half (probably even more) and still have plenty of aroma (and more money in your pocket). I typically dry hop with 6-7oz total for a 5 gallon batch, and I tend to get a ton of aroma. Moreso than most commercial cans I open, that's for sure.

I've also never used carahell, but after looking it up, it seems like a light crystal. I also prefer to go heavier on wheat vs oats for flaked adjuncts.

And as long as you enjoy it, that's what matter most!

Never had Belching Beavers so I'm not sure what you're aiming for, but this would be my 2 cents:

DAMN, that is a lot of dry hopping. I'm assuming you're brewing a 5 gallon batch so you could cut the dry hop amount in half (probably even more) and still have plenty of aroma (and more money in your pocket). I typically dry hop with 6-7oz total for a 5 gallon batch, and I tend to get a ton of aroma. Moreso than most commercial cans I open, that's for sure.

I've also never used carahell, but after looking it up, it seems like a light crystal. I also prefer to go heavier on wheat vs oats for flaked adjuncts.

And as long as you enjoy it, that's what matter most!

Thanks wepeeler.
Yes, this was a 5 gallon batch.
Im actually quite happy with the amount of hops used. Smells and taste great. My biggest downfall was pitching my yeast at 90 degrees F. It created a slight rubbing alcohol taste and smell.

1. You like it
2. You want to share it
Mission accomplished!
The high pitching temp probably didn’t do much. The esters are probably swallowed up by the hops. I bet your bias is getting the rubbing alcohol because your expecting it. Rdwhahb :)

Thanks!
I had some of the co-workers say the same. It must just be me.

Back