Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabrew

Reaction score
I used a Coopers "Canadian Blonde" with the recomended 1 kg malt and dextrose kit. I followed the directions and it did ferment.

I didn't measure the SG when I started. Does anyone know what it is and what it should be when it's done?

Also, it's only been 4 days and the bubbling is slowing down a lot. I think the temperature has fluxed a bit because my friend kept it in his closet. He tells me it ranged from 20 to 25 degrees. Will that adversely affect the process?

Do you have a link to the kit so we have the exact recipe? Will be easy to tell the expected SG, which you probably came within +/- 2 points of as an extract kit.

20-25 is a little warm, but you are making beer. Try to keep it at 19-20 for another 2 weeks before you do anything with it. But bubbling should be slowing down.

Also - join date of Oct 2006, with 4 posts? :)

The bubbling slows down or stops when initial,vigorous fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully ferment down to FG. Give it 3-7 days after that to settle out clear or slightly misty. It'll clean up by products of fermentation at the same time.

The bubbling slows down or stops when initial,vigorous fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully ferment down to FG. Give it 3-7 days after that to settle out clear or slightly misty. It'll clean up by products of fermentation at the same time.

When thats done can I put in a carbonation tab in a my bottle to carbonate it still?

I was refering to primary fermentation as most of us do it. But yes,there'll be plenty of yeast,even in clear beer to carbonate in the bottles. Are you using Cooper's PET bottles? They take 2 of the carbonation drops. 12oz bottles take 1. But those Munton's carb tabs will take 5 or 6 for each 12oz bottle. Def lame product.

I was refering to primary fermentation as most of us do it. But yes,there'll be plenty of yeast,even in clear beer to carbonate in the bottles. Are you using Cooper's PET bottles? They take 2 of the carbonation drops. 12oz bottles take 1. But those Munton's carb tabs will take 5 or 6 for each 12oz bottle. Def lame product.

I haven't gotten the bottles yet. I found some old plastic ones from 10 years ago that belonged to my dad so i will use those if I can find lids.

Are the PET bottles much bigger than 12 oz

When thats done can I put in a carbonation tab in a my bottle to carbonate it still?

It sounds like You are feeling a bit rushed. You are in a good spot and not on any kind of deadline. Your SG is kind of irrelevent at this point and doesn't have any impact on how to proceed with your beer. Visible signs of fermintation stopping is just one step in the beer making process. You have weeks before you "have" to do any kind of bottling.

If I were you I would wait at least a week and take a gravity reading. Then wait a few more days and take another reading. If the readings are the same and close to your target FG then you CAN safely bottle without fear of bottle bombs. You can also give it more conditioning time.

Once you are ready to bottle you can use any of the bottling methods. Carb tablets will work fine if that is the way you want to go.

It sounds like You are feeling a bit rushed. You are in a good spot and not on any kind of deadline. Your SG is kind of irrelevent at this point and doesn't have any impact on how to proceed with your beer. Visible signs of fermintation stopping is just one step in the beer making process. You have weeks before you "have" to do any kind of bottling.

If I were you I would wait at least a week and take a gravity reading. Then wait a few more days and take another reading. If the readings are the same and close to your target FG then you CAN safely bottle without fear of bottle bombs. You can also give it more conditioning time.

Once you are ready to bottle you can use any of the bottling methods. Carb tablets will work fine if that is the way you want to go.

Haha yea I failed a couple times at this so I'd like to get it right!

Do you know what the FG should be?

Haha yea I failed a couple times at this so I'd like to get it right!

Do you know what the FG should be?

The directions should have it listed. Being an extract I would think it is somewhere around 1.015. Also being extract if you get readings around 1.020 over a few days fermintation is probably done.

Just remember fermintation finishing is just part of prebottling process. You can safely bottle then but your beer will improve the more conditioning time you give it. You just have to find your own patience tolerance or when good enough is good enough.

Back