Help! Yeast choice on Barleywine I just brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dktoller

Reaction score
I just finished making a Barleywine. I had planned to use the Notty yeast cake from a prior batch. When I transferred that batch into a secondary it becam clear it was infected.

The BW OG is 1.100. I have one packet of Notty on hand and one packet of US-05. What is my best option? Should I pitch them both? Pitch just one and aerate like crazy? Or do I need wait until I scrounge another matched packet?

If your BW is brewed and ready to go, I'd say just pitch them both and keep the temp around 65, That should give you the cell count if you rehydrate, and at the cooler temps they are both pretty clean.

Exactly why I love keeping a spare pack of dry yeast or two, just in case something like this happens

Get to the LBHS and get more yeast, Nottingham or US-05. You'll need a couple more sachets.

If LHBS is not open or nearby, the best you can do would be make a starter with either yeast. This would require a few days to step up to the right level of cells. Until then you could try to refrigerate your wort, then bring it back up to close to boil to sanitize it, then chill it again before pitching.

Always have yeast ready for backup!

a couple more sachets? I think that is overkill, as those packets usually have 200 billion viable cells each if properly rehydrated. Mr malty's calc estimates 353 billion cells needed so 2 would be more than enough.

In fact, I just pitched 2, us-05 packets into a wee heavy at 1.104 two weeks ago and had a steady healthy ferment down to 1.030, fermented at 65 and clean with no hot alcohol notes. I think the OP'd be fine with just the two and a mixed culture ferment, but that is just my opinion.

I think you'll be fine. That's a ton of yeast in the best possible condition. Definitely letep it cool though, I have a feeling with that gravity its gonna warm up fast when it takes off.

I just finished making a Barleywine. I had planned to use the Notty yeast cake from a prior batch. When I transferred that batch into a secondary it becam clear it was infected.

The BW OG is 1.100. I have one packet of Notty on hand and one packet of US-05. What is my best option? Should I pitch them both? Pitch just one and aerate like crazy? Or do I need wait until I scrounge another matched packet?

If you are close to your LHBS, you COULD pitch the Notty now, pick up one asap, and as long as it is actively fermenting (or hasn't started) you could pitch AND re-oxygenate - you could actually get your FG even lower by doing so. I'd say no more than 24 hours between.

Appreciate the feedback everybody. Think I have located another local brewer with a spare US-05. So a two packet US-05 is the plan.

Back