Help! Work Woes Threaten to Ruin my Hefe Weizen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBoogaloo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well everyone … I’m in a spot and wanted to see if any of you can help me out. I made SD-SLIM’s Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen located here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/lemon-lime-hefe-weizen-255659/

I pitched it on the 19th. It’s been moving along wonderfully and promises to be an excellent brew!

Here’s where things get tough …

… work just told me I have to go out of town for a month and a half. I hit the road on Weds.

The recipe states to let ‘er ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks. Obviously this poses a problem since I won’t be around to monitor things. Unfortunately I don’t have a brewing freezer/refrigerator. Can I bottle now w/o risking bottle bombs? Do I leave it in the carboy until I return in 45 days? Any other ideas?

I definitely don’t want to lose this batch.

I've never brewed with wheat before, but if it was my beer, I would rack it to a secondary, put it in a dark place, and forget about it.

What temp would it be if you put it in a secondary? If it were below 72 or so..I feel you would be fine. Over that, I might be inclined to bottle it now if your gravity has leveled.

It's in a secondary now. I planned on bumping my thermostat up to 78 while I was gone to save some $$$ on power, but if it'll keep the beer better I'll leave it at 72 and stick it in the coldest room. I'll check the gravity again tonight. I sooo wish I had a basement!

I have had wheat beers finish fermenting and packaged after 10 days. If your gravity is stable, I don't personally see any issues with bottling and sealing to prevent anything nasty happening while you are gone.

OClairBrew said:
I have had wheat beers finish fermenting and packaged after 10 days. If your gravity is stable, I don't personally see any issues with bottling and sealing to prevent anything nasty happening while you are gone.

I've had the same. BUT, if you aren't comfortable that your FG has been reached I'd prefer to leave it in the secondary rather than come home 45 days later to bottle bombs.

I've had the same. BUT, if you aren't comfortable that your FG has been reached I'd prefer to leave it in the secondary rather than come home 45 days later to bottle bombs.

Agreed, that was why I mentioned if the gravity was stable. If things are still moving then secondary is where I would leave it (but I'm a primary only kinda guy).

Well it appears as if the gravity is still dropping so I'm going to place this batch in the tub and hope for the best. Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it!

I'd say your priorities are all wrong to start with. Tell them at work that the trip will just have to wait until the batch is done. :drunk:
The only real problem with lettin the wheat type sit that long is that you will need to pull a little of the yeast back up into suspension when you bottle/keg, you will need it in a wheat to get all the flavor you brew a wheat for.

Back