Help with tss2 open probe error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahu

Reaction score
Help! Just wired my new tss2 controller. Keep getting an "open probe" error (000). I've tried moving the temp probe to sd2 and sd1, tried switching polarity, tried another temp probe, still getting the same display. It won't display the temp reading, just the "open probe" error....anyone know what I should do????

Are you putting the wires into 1 and 3 for input one or 2 and 3 for input 2? Make sure you have the A6 and A7 parameters set to use a probe.

Where did you get the probe, from Dwyer? If not it could be the wrong type? I ran into this with a Chinese temperature switch with a probe from Auber Instruments, it wouldn't work until I used their probe which was fat and hard to place.

Other than that my guess is a bad temp switch.

Yup...used 1 and 3 for probe one and 1 and 2 for probe 2. Turned off the alarms for a6 and a7...

And the probe is from dwyer.

Must be a bad switch at input 3?...

Yup...used 1 and 3 for probe one and 1 and 2 for probe 2. Turned off the alarms for a6 and a7...

And the probe is from dwyer.

Must be a bad switch at input 3?...

Verify your probe wiring according to the post from Photopilot.
Probe #1= Terminal 1 & 3
Probe #2= Terminal 2 & 3

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Could also be a bad probe. I am not sure what the parameters are supposed to be. Do you have a multi-tester? If so, you can test the resistance of the probe to eliminate that as the problem. Someone here smarter than me might know off the top of their head what kind of resistance you can expect from a probe of this type. If someone does not respond with an expected resistance from this probe and you do have a multi-tester let me know and I will check my dwyer probes to see what you should be getting.

Could also be a bad probe. I am not sure what the parameters are supposed to be. Someone here might know off the top of their head what kind of resistance you can expect from a probe of this type.

1000Ω @ 25°C

If you wired your probes as in post # 3, change the wiring.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

My typo... I wired it correctly with 1 and 3 for input one and 2 and 3 for input 2. I tried two different temp probes with the same result. Finally ended up using a different temp controller -- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

was only 30 bucks off ebay... ended up using the Dwyer temp probe and it seems to be working fine... it's easy to use, simple to understand. Just have to convert C to F (it's from Hong Kong and reads in C).

I called Dwyer and they said the temp controller must be bad...

Back