help with this over hopped beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
Used brew target to get my slightly hoppy recipe, all was going okay, then I noticed the crystal 10 I had was 1 lb not 2 like I inputed into the recipe.

transfered to secondary 2 days ago and the hops were so over powering I felt like I was biting into a grapefruit.

going by the recipe I ended up with BT says it is extra hoppy and they are right, It says if I had the extra lb of crstal that it would be slightly hoppy.

My question is this: If I brew up a lb of crystal and rack the beer onto that what would happen to the beer? I cant imagine that 1 lb less would have made this so hoppy!

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

Super-hoppy? I'm not seeing the problem...:D

Personally I'd just leave it be, some of the hoppiness will fade with time.

Thanks, I have a 4 gallon and 5.5 gallon batch at 6.0% I will be kegging one and bottleing the other, Input appreciated

Super-hoppy? I'm not seeing the problem...:D

Personally I'd just leave it be, some of the hoppiness will fade with time.

well. not a big ipa fan, but 2 weeks ago brother in law brought a few ipa's over, the hop profile was strong, but it was delicious, on new years i bought a 12 pack of ipa thinking it would be the same, it was way less hoppy, but still okay,

The beer i brewed was way more hoppy than the high powered stuff I had at first, so It took me by surprise, It was so acidic I felt little bumps forming on my tounge! I think time will be this ones friend!

Over hopped beer?

Solution is to bring me a keg of it, and I'll send you home with a keg of my cream ale.

Little long of a drive for you to come out here to CA, but trust me, it's totally worth it (for me).

Over hopped beer?

Solution is to bring me a keg of it, and I'll send you home with a keg of my cream ale.

Little long of a drive for you to come out here to CA, but trust me, it's totally worth it (for me).

+1 on bring me the beer!

Yeah it's personal taste... You can bring me your hoppy beer too! But really the hops will fade and if you let them sit it may get to a point where it suits you. If not, you may just start loving hoppy beer from drinking all your hard work!

I'd just like to let everyone know that I'd be more than happy to dispose of any beer you accidentally overhopped. I'll even provide you with clean empty bottles in trade. :D

I'd just like to let everyone know that I'd be more than happy to dispose of any beer you accidentally overhopped. I'll even provide you with clean empty bottles in trade. :D

I will bring a portable CO2 tank and cobra tap.

You just have to hold the tap open. I'll lay on the floor below it.

Too crazy! ha ha! I just transfered to a corny and it has dropped a little, but still has some kick! ebay hops! who would have ever thought!

Iunno. I buy every year from a guy who sells on eBay because he doesn't seem to want to bother with setting up a website.

He buys from the same farms as the others, packs them, then sells them.

Was your seller Hopheaven by chance?

Iunno. I buy every year from a guy who sells on eBay because he doesn't seem to want to bother with setting up a website.

He buys from the same farms as the others, packs them, then sells them.

Was your seller Hopheaven by chance?

No, the seller was de_smet_hops they were 13.99 for 1 lb (cascade) including shipping. less than a dollar an ounce I couldnt pass it up,

It gave me a new perspective on hops, I have never had the potency from hops like this. I have been useing hop union and sometimes cant even taste the hops. I wonder if I even added enough after the finished product.

the last bag of HU I opened and weighed it it was only .75 of an ounce. I paid 3.00 for these hops that I cant even taste in the beer, thats when I decided to try ebay. So glad I did!

You've discovered hops by the pound, not eBay savings. :)

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/hopscascade1.htm
http://www.hopsdirect.com/cascausp1/
http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/products/Cascade-Pellets.html

etc etc

Looks like I paid $11.95/lb for Cascade this year, plus $16 shipping for 12 lbs.

Here's my 2013 season hops order: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7y45n7gk... HB 8.13.13 - thadius856 AT gmail dot com.xls

ya I looked into them, for the small amount I needed it was the cheapest route, I tried to get a bulk buy group going, but that was harder than I thought.

I did realize that the shipping for 1 lb vs 12 lbs wasn't much different, I just wont use that much this year. Ive been researching hop quality and storage and found that these guys were selling 2012 crop vs. 2013. (again freshness)

I will buy from ebay when I finish up these cascades, probably in march. I also bought some willamette from a local lhbs for a reasonable 1.75 per ounce. I can reason with that price with the small scale brews I do.

It looks like you do large scale? do you sell your beer?

No, I don't sell beer. I do like hop-forward beers like IPAs, and they tend to use several multiples of the quantity of hops that the more balanced beers do. 12# in a year isn't really that much if you do a lot of hoppy beers and make 10 gallon batches.

Do you have BeerSmith? There's a hop freshness calculator in the Tools section. Play with it.

Long story short, the easiest method is to freeze, as cold as you can, in an oxygen-impermeable container.

I place 1# of pellets into a quart mason jar, label the lid, and freeze at -15F to -20F. In that container and at that temperature, hops will lose 3-5% of their alpha acids a year. I expect anything I put in today to last 5 years minimum.

This isn't true for HopUnion baggies. Sure, they're kevlar and oxygen impermeable, but temperature is a MUCH larger factor than permeability of the container. Expect to lose 30-50% AA per year with those.

Buy in bulk, as early in the year as you can (harvest is Oct/Nov, starts shipping Nov/Dec), jar, and freeze as cold as you can.

When planning a year's worth, consider:

How many IPA hops do I need? (e.g., Cascade) $$
How many noble hops do I need? (e.g., Tettnang) $
How many neutral bittering hops do I need? (e.g., Columbus/Tomahawk) $
How many specialty hops do I need? (e.g., Simcoe/Nelson Sauvin/Citra) $$$

No, I don't sell beer. I do like hop-forward beers like IPAs, and they tend to use several multiples of the quantity of hops that the more balanced beers do. 12# in a year isn't really that much if you do a lot of hoppy beers and make 10 gallon batches.

Do you have BeerSmith? There's a hop freshness calculator in the Tools section. Play with it.

Long story short, the easiest method is to freeze, as cold as you can, in an oxygen-impermeable container.

I place 1# of pellets into a quart mason jar, label the lid, and freeze at -15F to -20F. In that container and at that temperature, hops will lose 3-5% of their alpha acids a year. I expect anything I put in today to last 5 years minimum.

Great info, I was going to do the same with mason jars, would you suggest vacume sealing the jars?

theres a guy on youtube that uses a brake like pump and special lid to seal them, just a thought,

This isn't true for HopUnion baggies. Sure, they're kevlar and oxygen impermeable, but temperature is a MUCH larger factor than permeability of the container. Expect to lose 30-50% AA per year with those.

Buy in bulk, as early in the year as you can (harvest is Oct/Nov, starts shipping Nov/Dec), jar, and freeze as cold as you can.

When planning a year's worth, consider:

How many IPA hops do I need? (e.g., Cascade) $$
How many noble hops do I need? (e.g., Tettnang) $
How many neutral bittering hops do I need? (e.g., Columbus/Tomahawk) $
How many specialty hops do I need? (e.g., Simcoe/Nelson Sauvin/Citra) $$$

Good info, thanks. will plan this out, I started with 10 gallon batches recently dont have beer smith, been using brew target, will check out BS when I get the op.

youtube has a guy vacume sealing mason jars with a brake pump, would you recomend before freezing?

Back