Help with the pros/cons of sanitizing agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metasyntactic

Reaction score
So I've run out of one step, and my next brew day will be soon. I'm considering switching to Starsan, but would like some advice from more experienced brewers on how it would fit into my usage.

On brew/racking day, I make a gallon of one step, siphon it into the fermenter, and then slowly pour it out while rotating the fermentor. I then sanitize any incidentals (spoon, airlocks, et cetera). When I'm finished, I toss it.

When testing the gravity from of my fermenting beer (usually about 5 days after pitching, then again 2 or 3 later to ensure it's done), I make a quart to sanitize my SS baster and hydrometer and again, toss it when done.

How would Starsan fit into my usage pattern? I don't have all that much space, so storing gallons and gallons of it wouldn't be ideal.

I used one step for many many years. Loved the stuff.

I love starsan MORE. I mix up one gallon (6ml of concentrate) and rather than dump at the end of the day I store it however I can (usually an empty carboy, growler, spray bottle, etc). I'll then reuse if for a month or more (depending on how dirty it gets).

With one step, I always had white splotched equipment but did not worry because it was the one step. With starsan I always have extraordinarily clean and bright equipment, no splotches and the glass is amazingly clear.

I think you'll love it. I purchased the 32 oz bottle and at 6ml per usage I think I'll have this bottle forever.

edit: IIRC, one step requires 2 minutes of contact/wet time for assured sanitizing while starsan requires 30 seconds. The wetting agent in starsan keeps the liquid spread out on glass for over 30 seconds so the net result is that you could simply swirl to coat and empty, and feel assured that your container/equipment is sanitized - granted I give a good several swirlings over a minute or so :D

Starsan is going to be your new best friend. 1step is a peroxide cleanser and requires more contact time for the oxygen to do its work. Starsan is an acid sanitizer which has been claimed to have only a 30 second required contact time, on account of its pH. The next best thing is that 1step de-gasses itself over a few hours where Starsan can be kept and reused for some time (assuming "good" water was used to make it and the pH remains below 3).

Yatta, yatta, yatta, I made the switch about 2 years ago with some reservations, but was thrilled with the results. Mainly being able to reuse it for a period of time cut costs where it probably was cheaper than using 1step.

I love starsan. On brew day I make about a gallon in a bucket. Do my thing, toss it in a keg at the end of the day and fill a spray bottle. The spray bottle is great for single cleaning projects - like my wine theif or hydro container for a quick sample. Much better than making a new batch. The stuff in the keg is fine for the next couple racking / transfer projects. I dump it when it gets cloudy.

Mix 1 1/4 teaspoons star-san in a gallon jug of distilled water, fill spray bottle. Use spray bottle on cleaned incidentals, baster, hydrometer, etc. Siphon enough star san from jug into fermenter to make sure inside surfaces of cane and hose are wet, slosh star-san around in fermenter, pour back into jug. Spray outside of cane and hose, and carry on.

oh yeah, but I do keep oxygen based cleaners around for cleaning. Star san for sani, easy clean for getting scummy stuff clean (like carboys).

Back