Help with recipe (Farmhouse Double IPL)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdrummer24

Reaction score
Alright guys so to date I have started 26 gallons of booze as a homebrewer. Currently I have in progress 5 gallons of chocolate coffee porter and 5 gallons of mixed berry wine. The chocolate coffee porter is actually my very first beer. Everything else has been wine and mead.

I am about to start a new summer brew with a new brew partner. I prefer funky/sour farmhouse type beers and my brew partner prefers IPA/IPL style beers. We would like to combine these concepts to make a Farmhouse Double IPL, but we don't contain the theoretical knowledge to come up with such a recipe. Does anyone have anything similar to this kind of recipe or can someone explain to me how to obtain this style. I'm not opposed to adding a fruit or citrus aspect to the beer since that often accompanies farmhouse beers.

personally i think the high alcohol, hops and fermhouse yeat will be too much (just for my tastes anyway) but worth a shot

i'd suggest starting with a lower gravity. check out the madfermentationist for some of his pretty funky farmhouse ales and hoppy belgian styles, including sours etc.

and FYI you wont be making an ipl, you'll be making an imperial hoppy farmhouse ale.

The farmhouse part of a beer is yeast derived flavor you will not get with a lager yeast.

If you are a new brewer I would also imagine you do not have the necessary temperature control to ferment a lager.

Therefore I would suggest brewing an IPA recipe and swapping the yeast for a saison yeast.

The farmhouse part of a beer is yeast derived flavor you will not get with a lager yeast.

If you are a new brewer I would also imagine you do not have the necessary temperature control to ferment a lager.

Therefore I would suggest brewing an IPA recipe and swapping the yeast for a saison yeast.

What he said, but if you do just swap out a yeast for farmhouse yeast, crop your bittering off considerably. the high IBU's don't tend to mesh with the funky esters you get on farmhouse ales. hence why your better off with lower alcohol

Back