Help with Princess BIAB Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtracer

Reaction score
So after 4 extract batches scored a keggle and bag to move up to BIAB.
Excited to try a simple IPA recipe.

I am plugging numbers into the calculator but I have a few questions.

For sparging Volume and Temp I assume I will leave at 0?

Trub loss from mashtun and Fixed Mash thickness? I again assume 0, as I am doing BAIB?

I don't really understand the bottom EFFICIENCIES section.
What is expected conversion efficiencies? Measured mash gravity?

Also, under results. The given Strike temp...Do they get that from a calculation of your grain bill and total water and mash temp?

Princess BIAB?

Is that like regular BIAB, but with more glitter?

I have nothing to offer.

Edit: I love Priceless's calc. I use it double check all my stuff. But this site is simpler: https://www.brewtoad.com/tools/mash-water-calculator it has a BIAB no sparge option. I use bru n' water to get the exact qt/lb ratio. Or you can figure it out yourself via math. Blegh!

Again Priceless, love your calc.

Conversion efficiency is the percentage of the available starch that you actually convert to sugar in your mash. Expected conversion efficiency is the conversion efficiency that you typically get with your process. If you don't know what your typical conversion efficiency is, just start with 95%.

Measured mash gravity is the SG of the wort in your mash (take after stirring well.) The measured mash gravity can be used to determine your actual conversion efficiency (that's why the calculator asks for it.) Read about how it works here. If you give the calculator your measured mash SG, it will calculate your actual conversion efficiency and report it in the center pane. Keep track of these numbers to know what to use for expected conversion.

Edit: Yes strike temp is based on the weight of the grain, the temperature of grain, the volume of strike water, and the target mash temp. The idea is that when you add the grain the temp will drop from the strike temp to the mash temp. It's all based on thermodynamics, but you don't have to know about that because the calculator does all the work for you.

You are correct about leaving the items you mentioned at zero, if you are planning a full volume BIAB mash.

Brew on :mug:

Be sure the top opening on your keggle is as large as possible and as smooth as possible. A small opening can make grain bag removal tricky, and a rough cut edge can damage your grain bag.

Some even go as far as removing the entire top of the keg to have a more kettle like vessel.

The larger the grain bill, the more critical this becomes. A tapered bag that is smaller at the bottom than the top can help.

Priceless is a Prince. And he made a prince of a calculator.

But some days he's a Princess.

The first time out, I would project efficiency at 70 to 75%. As Doug says, with BIAB you will eventually get 90 or 95%, but it is hard to start there. You tend to work your way up ... IMHO

Priceless is a Prince. And he made a prince of a calculator.

But some days he's a Princess.

The first time out, I would project efficiency at 70 to 75%. As Doug says, with BIAB you will eventually get 90 or 95%, but it is hard to start there. You tend to work your way up ... IMHO

70 - 75% is a good starting estimate for mash efficiency, which is conversion efficiency times lauter efficiency. 95% is a good starting estimate for conversion efficiency. Lauter efficiency will depend a lot on how well you drain and/or squeeze the bag, and whether or not you do full volume mash or sparge. Knowing actual conversion efficiency is very helpful when diagnosing mash efficiency. You don't know what to fix, unless you know whether the problem is poor conversion or poor lautering, as the fixes are different for each.

What is the difference between "Measured Mash Gravity" and "Measured Preboil Gravity"?
For no sparge, they should be the same. If a sparge is done, the Mash Gravity is the same as first runnings gravity, and Preboil Gravity is the combined gravity after mixing first runnings and sparge runnings, which will be lower than first runnings gravity.

For no sparge, they should be the same. If a sparge is done, the Mash Gravity is the same as first runnings gravity, and Preboil Gravity is the combined gravity after mixing first runnings and sparge runnings, which will be lower than first runnings gravity.

OK, thanks. I don't sparge, so it didn't occur to me that there would be different values.

Sorry I missed this, haven't been on here much. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

As usual, dougs great.

@Soccerdad :tank:

Latest posts

Back