Help with Odell 5 barrel inspired ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nopride

Reaction score
I had been looking for a recipe for Odell's 5 barrel pale ale, with no luck. However, I did stumble across this old thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/looking-clone-17800/#post169453 and decided between that and the description on Odell's site coming up with a tasty recipe. However, I am still new at brewing and don't really know how to create a recipe so I could use some help/advice.

Here is what I am working with.

From the old thread:

Here is the list of ingrdients for 5 Barrel:
Malts: Pale, ESB, Crystal, and Munich
Bittering Hop: Cascade
Finishing Hops: Fuggles, First Gold, Glacier, Willammette, and Centennial.
We use whole flower hops in the hop back and and for dry hopping 5 Barrel.
The yeast is a top-fermenting ale yeast.

From Odell's website:
"The result, our delectable 5 Barrel Pale Ale, hopped in 8 stages with 6 different hops"

"The distinctive hop character of our 5 Barrel Pale Ale is due to the extraction of essential oils from select hops. We treat 5 Barrel Pale Ale to an infusion of fresh whole hop flowers in the Hop Back and the Fermentor, as well as four hop additions during the kettle boil. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively flavor and aroma.

5.2% Alcohol By Volume 36 IBUs"

I won't be able to use a hopback with my setup, so I am just went ahead and tried my best to create something I think might work in Beersmith. Here is what I have so far.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: 5 Barrel
Brewer: Mark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 68.18 %
2.50 lb Mild Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 22.73 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
0.50 oz First Gold [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.25 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (10 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Any suggestions?

Looks pretty good. I would probably mix the hops more between the additions (add 2-3 types with each addition). I remember it having more American character, so I would probably move the centennial to 0, I also like Glacier more than fuggles in this sort of beer so I would probably swap those two (use the glacier for 0 and dry hop).

You could probably also swap out some of the pale for more Munich, to give it a maltier backbone.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

When I brewed this I used Marris Otter, Crystal 60, Munich, and a touch of Biscuit. I did not have access to "mild malt".

The key is a bit of bittering at the FWH addition. And then a the majority of the rest done during the last 20 min with some dry hopping tossed in as well.

It was fairly close. I would not say it was spot on but I can not remember what the beer tasted like before the hop shortatge as it has changed a bit in the last year and a half.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I'm not sure if my LHBS will have the mild malt either and substituting it with Marris Otter was my backup plan. I have combined some of the hop additions and am now dry hopping with centenniel and glacier.

Is it a good idea to dry hop with two types of hops? Or should I just stick with one.

Here is what I've got now:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: 5 Barrel
Brewer: Mark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 9.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 59.09 %
2.50 lb Mild Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 22.73 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.64 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.60 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)Hops 11.6 IBU
1.00 oz First Gold [7.50 %] (20 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
0.40 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.75 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Looks good, no problem dry hopping with a hop blend, I generally do.

Well, I was never able to compare it to the original because I wasn't able to get Odells in MN at the time. However, I don't think I would label this recipe as a clone, but it definitely had a lot of the characteristics that the 5BPA has. This was the first time I tried FWH, and I really liked how it created a smooth bitterness. It has plenty of aroma. I was thinking about this recipe the other day, so I am definitely going to have to give it another go and compare it to the real thing.

I would probably simplify the hopping a little bit though, and just use 1 oz. of Williamette and drop the Fuggles.

It probably would! This recipe doesn't have extract though, it's all grain. You could convert it to extract and keep the specialty grains though. I haven't looked at this recipe in a while, but I were to do it again I would completely change how it's hopped.

The cascade needs to be in the flame out and dry hop. The centennial should be probably be used for the first wort hop, but also kept in the 0 and dry hop. The 0 addition probably should be a lot bigger, and done as a hop stand.

It probably would! This recipe doesn't have extract though, it's all grain. You could convert it to extract and keep the specialty grains though. I haven't looked at this recipe in a while, but I were to do it again I would completely change how it's hopped.

The cascade needs to be in the flame out and dry hop. The centennial should be probably be used for the first wort hop, but also kept in the 0 and dry hop. The 0 addition probably should be a lot bigger, and done as a hop stand.

I missed the all grain part, this recipe makes a lot more sense now!

Latest posts

Back