Help with Oatmeal Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rginsburg

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I'm brewing my second all grain batch. I've started making my own cold brew coffee with a a dripper and wanted to integrate it into this Oatmeal Stout recipe.

7.50 lbs. Maris Otter
2.00 lbs. Toasted Oatmeal
1.00 lbs. Briess Roasted Barley
0.75 lbs. Briess Chocolate Malt
0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs. Crystal 90L
0.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt

Cold Brew:

6 oz. coffee slow-dripped with 32 oz water

Any thought on hops for this? I've seen Willamette used but any other suggestions would be great. Also, thoughts on mash temps?

Thanks

willamette would work...so would most others...just throw enough in at 60 min to get you 30-35 ibu.

I use willamette EKG or fuggles for my stouts usually. I mash them at 154-155 for body along with a healthy dose of home toasted oats

you may want to use more regular oats and less toasted though. If i remember right, toasting them kills the enzymes so they are basically specialty malts now. If you tally everything up, your at like 50% specialty malts then which is way too much

I use willamette EKG or fuggles for my stouts usually. I mash them at 154-155 for body along with a healthy dose of home toasted oats

you may want to use more regular oats and less toasted though. If i remember right, toasting them kills the enzymes so they are basically specialty malts now. If you tally everything up, your at like 50% specialty malts then which is way too much

Should I just replace the Toasted with regular oats? I don't really have a preference for toasted oats, just saw it in another recipe

I like to do take 1/2lb of the oats and toast them. Just do regular oats for the remaining portion

Latest posts

Back