Help with oak spiral

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Ok so I may have committed a rookie move in adding an oak spiral to my beer. Instead of it going in the carboy I decided after I kegged I wanted to add a spiral.

So it's in my keg, but how do I get it out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please tel me this a 5 gallon corny keg? I catch sticks all the time when I go fishing, maybe it will work for you too? In all actuality, praying it's a corny keg and not some tiny holed keg, a friend with skinny arms, a hanger or some actual hooks may be helpful? Or you could turn it upside down and rattle it around until it falls out (that may sound unhelpful IF you have never dropped a pick into a guitar).

I'm assuming that he added it to the keg that he'll serve out of.

beside fishing it out you could just drink the beer and it'll just be "oakie" till you finish it, and take it as a lesson learned.

I saw leave it and see how good or bad it is....

It's a corny. I was thinking about taking a sanitized very long spoon and just try to scoop it out. Bit of an oxidation risk but in the keg it's covered with co2

Unless there is a need to take it out because of getting too much oak, just leave it in there. If you have to get it out, I would just depressurize the keg, then use sanitized BBQ tongs or such to grab the spiral and take it out. Close and re-pressure the keg.

I was thinking about that but if the beer is already carbed won't the spoon be less disruptive

If by "disruption" you mean "oxidation", if you jumper Out post to Out post and do a CO2-push from the spiraled keg to a properly purged keg, there's no risk of oxidation.

By properly purged, I mean fill the new keg with something like standard Star San/water mix 'til it flows out of the PRV, then CO2-push it all out (ideally, back into your Star San reservoir). Now that keg is ready...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back