Help with my water quality report.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegame310

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I moved about a year ago and never once thought to use my own tap water for brewing. It's not that I didn't like how it tasted or anything, I just always went to the local spring and paid my $1.75 for about 7 gallons of water.

However, today while some work downtime I went and found my towns 2014 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report and I really can't make heads or tails out of it.

http://www.pinegroveborough.org/upload/2014 Annual Drinking Quality Report.pdf

Should I attempt to use this water for brewing (upcoming brews: 15 minute cascade pale ale and an all grain blueberry wheat)

Thoughts?

That really doesn't help you, except to tell you that you should do something to remove the chlorine from your water. You need to get a report that has the calcium, magnesium, sulfate, choride, sodium, and bicarbonate or alkalinity.

This basically shows the big scary heavily regulated stuff that poses a danger to public health (lead, harmful bacteria, etc). It doesn't deal with the ions relevant to brewing that are much more unregulated.

You may have to contact your water company for the relevant information (you're primarily looking for calcium, magnesium, sulfate, chloride, sodium, and alkalinity). If they can't provide it, you can either send it off for analysis (most folks use Ward Labs), or buy a kit and measure it yourself.

Back