Help with my kegging process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottyh

Reaction score
Hi, I am a noob when it comes to kegging. Actually I started last year and have had nothing but problems as I have gone through about four CO2 tanks for four kegs mostly because of leaks. I am starting to get a little dejected over the whole thing. I have read a fair amount on the internet trying to get this right. Anyways here is my latest problem…I filled my corny keg 3 weeks ago with my latest brew and pressured it to 30psi after doing a few purges. I wanted to age it so I let it sit for 3 weeks at 70 degrees. Earlier this morning I dropped the temperature in my chest freezer down to 40 degrees (I have a Johnson Controls temperature controller) in anticipation of tapping after I forced carbed for a couple of days. Before I connected the CO2 I wanted to release the pressure so I pulled the pressure release valve. Beer sprayed everywhere. I tried to slowly pull the release valve hoping to "bleed" the excess pressure out. Beer/foam kept coming out of the pressure release valve. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Did I not give the keg enough time to drop in temperature? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

No, it was not shaken or even moved. It had been sitting in my chest freezer at 70 degrees before I dropped the temperature down.

No, it was not shaken or even moved. It had been sitting in my chest freezer at 70 degrees before I dropped the temperature down.

If you had it at 30psi for three+ weeks and dropped the temp, you're way over carbed.

There are charts for pressure to temp for specific co2 volume/style of beer. You should consult one.

No, I did not have the CO2 hooked up for 3 weeks at 30PSI. I only pressurized to 30PSI to ensure a good seal.

I forgot to add I may have overfilled the keg a little as my batch came out to be about 5.5 gallons although not all of it went into the keg.

I forgot to add I may have overfilled the keg a little as my batch came out to be about 5.5 gallons although not all of it went into the keg.

Gotcha... Guess I read it wrong. So you just put some pressure in to seal, aged it, then crashed it and tried to release pressure before adding co2 back to carb?

Obviously over filling the keg won't allow it to vent with out spitting beer, so that's probably the reason.

Insanim8er, thanks, yes, you had my process correct. I guess I overfilled the keg. I was thinking about waiting a couple of days in order to get some of the CO2 into the beer at a lower temperature. Any other thoughts to alleviate the beer spraying everywhere from the pressure relief valve?

Insanim8er, thanks, yes, you had my process correct. I guess I overfilled the keg. I was thinking about waiting a couple of days in order to get some of the CO2 into the beer at a lower temperature. Any other thoughts to alleviate the beer spraying everywhere from the pressure relief valve?

Drain some out, with the faucet, before you hook up the co2. If it stops, then give it a tiny bit of c02 but not much, as you have probably filled past the "in" dip tube and that could back up into your regulator. If you have it in a place where you can open the keg, and take a peak, you should be below the bottom of the diptube on the "in" side.

Well not over filling the keg helps. You can plug your faucet in and pour some of the beer out, or simply put a rag on top and let it spew. Obviously colder beer absorbs co2 easier, so in a couple days you'll probably have little to no pressure.

I don't see any reason to release the pressure in the first places just get it to temp in the freezer by leaving it for a day or two. Then use the chart to set it and forget it. Just pour some out once the time is right to release some of the excess beer, then release the pressure to get it to serving pressure.

Back