Help with my honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravity man

Reaction score
Is there anything I need to know when using honey in my boil? 2 lb is what im looking at.

not really, to be quite honest. just don't let it stick on the bottom and burn, add it slowly and make sure it completely dissolved.

This is my first try with the honey. what do you think about using honey verses suger or DME?

i can never really tell the difference. i've used honey in hard cider instead of corn sugar, hoping that i would be able to taste the difference better without all the confusing flavors present in a beer, but it didn't seem to make much difference. i've read that the longer you boil the honey, the less honey character you get, but again i have never tried this.

I think DME would be the best, it might impart proteins and other essentials your beer may be lacking. you probably won't add enough of it to make a difference, who knows. maybe somebody else around here will have a better understanding of it.

3lb Amber Lme
1.6lb Amber Dme
2lb Honey
American crystal 40L
With A Spalts Hops
White Labs Lager Yeast
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I add honey when I make a fat tire clone, about 1/2 pound worth, and it does make a difference. Made it slightly drier, and with a faint honey taste. One of my homebrew buddies asked if I added honey, without me telling him. I like the flavor it gives to a few styles.

Before you start anything, put your honey in a pan, ~2 part water to 1 part honey. Heat to ~180 and cover. Put in a preheated oven at 180, and leave it there. Add to your wort when you're ready to cool. This will provide you with a sterilzed honey, with all the flavors you could possibly get, unless you have a way to heat while covered, and measure temp. A good portion of honey's flavor is lost in boiling, however it's complexity of sugars may show through later.

Thanks ruppe I was wondering if the boil would take away from the honey. sounds like all I need to do now it get after it.

ruppe said:
Before you start anything, put your honey in a pan, ~2 part water to 1 part honey. Heat to ~180 and cover. Put in a preheated oven at 180, and leave it there. Add to your wort when you're ready to cool. This will provide you with a sterilzed honey, with all the flavors you could possibly get, unless you have a way to heat while covered, and measure temp. A good portion of honey's flavor is lost in boiling, however it's complexity of sugars may show through later.
That's a great idea, I think I'll try it. I had been adding it at about 10 minutes, strirring and bring back to roll, then add immersion chiller. (because I wouldn't be able to stir the bottom with the IC in there. ) This method should get more honey flovor in there.

Latest posts

Back