Help with Juicy + Spicy IPA? Mango Habanero?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
So I am a partial mash brewer and I've been getting asked to make a spicy brew from friends. After much discussion with them about what they are looking for, I thought I'd come here for help. So I am thinking about trying to make a ruby/red colored IPA. Here is my thinking: Use briess liquid pale malt extract and pilsen extract . As for my steeping grains, I'd use Red X and maybe something else? For hops, I was thinking Sorachi Ace and Azacca? Then once primary fermentation is complete, Id add 16 ounces of fresh mango juice (id make using a juicer) and a couple of ounces of cut up habanero (7 days for them). Am I onto something here or way off base? Thanks in advance for the help

Sounds pretty tasty to me. I'd just be careful on the habanero so that you don't overdo it. I'd start with a couple ounces tasting daily and add till it tastes good. You can always add more but once you've put it in, it ain't coming out. Also i think that lemony goodness from the Sorachi Ace hops is gonna play real well with this beer especially that mango. Maybe a little pop of citra or galaxy dry hop with the habanero could be a good addition. Let us know how it turns out.

don't quote me, but I believe I've seen/heard of some of the big boy breweries put their peppers of choice into a jar of everclear and after a week or two soaking, literally take a dropper and add to desired heat.

Red X would be a good choice. If you want a little more malt flavor and complexity you could add a few percent Special B, CaraMunich, or honey malt which can give a nice red color, but will darken the beer and be more deeply malty. This can enhance the mango flavor.

I would definitely use Azacca, but not the Sorachi Ace unless you want some weird dill pickle flavors. Be careful on the habaneros too as they can vary a lot in acid and potency. I would soak both them and the mangos in vodka or similar before adding them. Good luck with it and please post your results.

so one person says yes to sorachi ace and one says no. ahhh, tough choices! lol. The mangos I would use a juicer and just add the juice onto the secondary. I'm thinking just 4 oz of habanero would be enough to add spice but not over power.

thanks advice for the malt. Any idea what else to do to try and get the red/ruby color?

I immediately thought of a white IPA with Cita when i read your thread title

I'm a big fan of roasting fresh peppers in the oven for a bit, then soaking overnight in vodka. This lets you do a two-fold approach - adding the soaked peppers to the beer gives you the flavor of the peppers without the actually throat-burn spiciness. Adding the vodka (I'd recommend doing this a teaspoon at a time, to taste) is how you then get the desired amount of spiciness in the beer. And the oven roasting/vodka soak also takes care of sanitation.

I'm a big fan of roasting fresh peppers in the oven for a bit, then soaking overnight in vodka. This lets you do a two-fold approach - adding the soaked peppers to the beer gives you the flavor of the peppers without the actually throat-burn spiciness. Adding the vodka (I'd recommend doing this a teaspoon at a time, to taste) is how you then get the desired amount of spiciness in the beer. And the oven roasting/vodka soak also takes care of sanitation.

did you cut the peppers up before roasting?

I read the link you sent me, ive heard lots of things being bad when using peppers in boil. I was just going to add them in secondary instead.

So I just started drinking this beer I made myself by combining two recipes from here. I dropped a one lb can of mangoes with syrup per gallon into the secondary and it wasnt noticable over the other flavors. I did the habaneros by roasting 15 grams then soaking them in 4 oz of rum for a week and whoo boy does that work. We spooned that by the table spoon into the 4 gallons and probably should have stopped before we got to 6. Note that the pepper flavor expands as your hops decrease, so it's one to be enjoyed fresh... with food!

Take my advice from personal experience. I used 2 mangos and 1 habanero for a gallon (Secondary). Completely bombed it super spicy. No mango flavor at all. After a couple months in the bottle the heat calmed down.

I will be thinking of grams of habanero next time. Maybe get it it mango forward. Hoppy, with a light burn at the end.

Dang, now I gotta try another mango/habanero beer! I am thinking maybe a wheat this time...

so one person says yes to sorachi ace and one says no. ahhh, tough choices! lol. The mangos I would use a juicer and just add the juice onto the secondary. I'm thinking just 4 oz of habanero would be enough to add spice but not over power.

thanks advice for the malt. Any idea what else to do to try and get the red/ruby color?

I also get far more dill than lemon with Sorachi, for another data point.

I haven't made a pepper ale before, but I feel like most successful recipes I've read for habanero ales recommend one pepper per five gallons, which in my experience is even less than one ounce. I'd start with one and go from there: if it's not enough you can always add more but you can't go back if you overdo it.

Another alternative would be to make the beer as a red IPA and pull part of the batch into a separate secondary to mess around with mango juice and peppers. That gives you far more flexibility and far less risk of losing an entire batch if you end up hating it, and you'll have a bunch of extra base beer to blend in if you end up overdoing the heat.

Take my advice from personal experience. I used 2 mangos and 1 habanero for a gallon (Secondary). Completely bombed it super spicy. No mango flavor at all. After a couple months in the bottle the heat calmed down.

I will be thinking of grams of habanero next time. Maybe get it it mango forward. Hoppy, with a light burn at the end.

Dang, now I gotta try another mango/habanero beer! I am thinking maybe a wheat this time...

how did you prepare the mangos and habanero?

thanks for the tips and info. ill post a recipe shortly of everything im going to do.

After looking through some other recipes for some red coloring IPAs. Here is what I've come up for a Partial Mash.

Partial Mash at 155 degrees for 30 minutes:
3lbs Red X
12oz Caramel 40L
8oz Flaked Wheat
6oz Caramel 120L
4oz Honey Malt

Bring to a boil add 3.3 LBS Pilsen Liquid Malt

Boil Schedule:
1oz Warrior - 60 Min
3.3lbs Pale Liquid Malt with 20 minutes left in boil
1oz Azacca - 15 Min
1oz Cascade - 15 Min
1oz Centennial - 15 Min
1oz Azacca - 0 Min
1oz Cascade - 0 Min
1oz Centennial - 0 Min
1oz Citra - 0 min

Once fermentation is complete, Im going to peel and cube up fresh mango. Put the mango in the freezer for a day. After that, Im going to thaw the mangoes and using a juicer, extract all the juice. Put that in the secondary and rack the brew onto the juice. Then Im going to dry hop with Citra for 5 days. 3 days before bottling, Im going to cut up 1 habanero and soak it in vodka for an hour and then add it to the secondary.

Soak the habanero in vodka for a couple weeks, then just add the liquid prior to bottling/kegging. The alcohol will extract the flavor/heat. I do this all the time to make habanero bitters. Then you can does it easily to get to the desired heat level. Figure out the correct dosing by using a dropper into 12oz of beer and scale up accordingly. A little bit goes a long way.

How much mango do you plan on adding? I feel like you'd need a ton to get the right flavor since most will ferment out. Do you want your beer to be a little sweet like a mango? If you're kegging you could add the Mango juice to the cold keg so it doesn't ferment. That might leave more of the flavor in tact..

Soak the habanero in vodka for a couple weeks, then just add the liquid prior to bottling/kegging. The alcohol will extract the flavor/heat. I do this all the time to make habanero bitters. Then you can does it easily to get to the desired heat level. Figure out the correct dosing by using a dropper into 12oz of beer and scale up accordingly. A little bit goes a long way.

How much mango do you plan on adding? I feel like you'd need a ton to get the right flavor since most will ferment out. Do you want your beer to be a little sweet like a mango? If you're kegging you could add the Mango juice to the cold keg so it doesn't ferment. That might leave more of the flavor in tact..

cut the peppers up and scrape out the seeds and soak the pieces in vodka for a few weeks?

I was hope to make it be almost mango juice with some heat from the peppers and hoppiness like an IPA

Ive played around with some of these ideas in the past. I used to make a mango IPA every summer. I never got the desired taste from real mangos so I used extract like this one from SCE.

http://www.silvercloudestates.com/product/mango-extract-flavor-flavoring-natural-192.aspx

As far as pepper goes. I've never wanted 10 or even 5 gallons of pepper beer so I added sliced jalapenos to a few bottles and bottled off a keg. I've never added peppers to the mash or boil because I heard that could give more green pepper taste and less heat. Adding a few slices of pepper to the bottle results in pure heat and jalapeno flavor, no green pepper. Just some ideas, if you want the whole batch peppered this may not work for you.

How did you use the extract? added to bottling bucket?

I added to the keg and racked over it but if I were bottling yes I would add to bottling bucket. If you go this route, know that this stuff is very strong. I would start with a quarter bottle per 5 gallons. You can always add more.

so Im waiting for this beer to fully ferment and still havent decided what to do for mangoes. Either fresh mango, frozen puree, or the mango extract

Habaneros: Chop peppers fine in blender (the whole thing, including seeds, cook in pan with water for a few minutes, blend with immersion blender or similar, strain. Just takes a few minutes to get the hot stuff into an extract. I grow habaneros and do this a lot (I use a pressure cooker).

For RED color in beer, add some sliced beets to the boil, or just push a beet into your juicer and add juice to fermentor. You can make your beer as red as you like this way. Make sure to add the beet juice before fermentation is finished as it contains sugars that will ferment.

Latest posts

Back