Help with Jockey Box setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambor44

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Jockey Box I made for an upcoming wedding. I have 20 gallons of beer conditioning for the event. The beer is in a temp controlled room which stays at about 75 degrees max, 69 minimum. I don't have the ability to place these kegs in a colder environment before the wedding reception.

What would you recommend I do as far as serving is concerned? I was planning on placing the kegs in a tub of ice 2 hours before the wedding begins and ice in the Jockey Box.

Is this good?

i just served 8 kegs at a wedding. i put the kegs in 2 trash cans the night before, filled with ice. the next day, dumped all the melt, replaced ice, and was good to go. no jockey box though, just picnic taps.

i imagine with the jockey, what you are planning should work.

You should be fine. The jockey boxes do a remarkable job of chilling beer. I've served beer on some pretty warm days without icing anything.

What kind of jockey box did you build? Do you use coils or a chill plate?

I have a plate chiller. I could run 6 taps thru it but I only needed three so I have the beer going thru the in valve then the out valve then back in thru another in valve then out to the tap. So it basically runs thru the chiller twice before it runs to the tap.

You should have no problem with room temp beer and that box. I used to do that all the time, but mine used 50' ss coils. Some ice on the kegs won't hurt but I would not sweat it. Those are used all the time at outdoor festivals.

Setup worked out fine. Went ahead and iced 3 kegs down and the Jockey box about 4 hours before the reception began. I didn't drain the water from the Jockey box this time as they suggest and it worked fine as far as keeping the beer flowing cold.

There was a 15 gallon keg of Coors Light and a single tap jockey box with SS coils there brought by someone whom works in the beer distribution business. I brought 2 BMC and 1 SNPA clone. I didn't really offer or "push" my beer if you will until 2 hours after we started pouring (my son and I were the bar tenders if you will). At the end of the reception 9 gallons of my beer was gone (I only tapped 1 BMC along with the SNPA) and the Coors keg was probably a little over half full still. Once people started drinking the homebrew and the word got out, it seemed to go pretty quickly. I was happy!

Thanks for the help!

Back