Help with Java Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicBrownies

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some advice. Sorry this is so long.
So my most recent kit brew was the peace coffee java stout from Midwest. And I thought it would be cool to enhance the kit to turn it into an Irish coffee stout. My idea was to replicate the taste of bailey's and put some jameson in there as well.

Brew day went well. I added 1 pound of Lactose to the boil to give it some creaminess (Bailey's) I also added some cocoa nibs. So my SG was 1.052. I pitched my yeast (It was the Muntons 6 gram packet that came with the kit) and closed it up.

Now in my previous brews(4 other kits), I have always let it sit in the primary for 1 week and then in a secondary for 1-2 weeks and then bottled. And I never had a problem with fermentation until now. After the 1 week, I went to rack into secondary, took a gravity reading and it was at 1.030. Nowhere near my target FG of 1.010-1.012

I thought it might have gotten a little too cold where I was fermenting. One night my thermometer in the room was down to 55 F. So I brought it back into the house, stirred up the yeast and let it sit another week in a little bit of a warmer climate (73-76 F). After that week the gravity reading was unchanged. Still 1.030. So I racked it into the carboy and thats where it is now.

So do you think it's the yeast? All my other kits came with an 11 gram packet. this one came with the 6 gram packet. I asked midwest and they told me that they are both designed to ferment a full batch. Is it too late to pitch some more yeast? Should I do that?

Thanks for your help:mug:

I am fairly sure Lactose is not ferment-able for yeasts so that might be the cause for the high gravity

I would agree with savage06 and hey can you post your total recipe, this sounds really interesting and something I would like to experiment with!!

Yeah I know that lactose is not fermentable but would 1# in a 5 gal batch cause the FG to be off by that much?

Here is the recipe is used:

6# Dark LME
8oz Chocolate malt
4oz Flaked Barley
4oz Caramel malt (60)
4oz Roasted barley
.5oz Challenger Hops (Bittering)
1oz Tettnang Hops (Aroma)
6 gram packet Muntons Ale yeast
4oz Dark roast coffee beans

The above all came with the kit. And I added:

1# Lactose
4oz cocoa nibs (split)
6oz Jameson Irish Whiskey
1 Vanilla Bean

Steeped my grains at 155 F for 30 min. Added LME and Lactose. Boiled with challenger hops for 60 min. Added 2oz of cocoa nibs for last 15 min of boil. Added tettnang for last 2 min.
When I racked to secondary, I added the cold steeped coffee beans, vanilla bean, and Jameson soaked cocoa nibs

Also another reason might be that the chocolate or roasted malts have more complex sugars then simple base malts that are hard for the yeasts to break down as well. But I haven't tackled a big dark beer like that yet

Back