Help with IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartacus

Reaction score
Just picked ingredients for single hop ipa. Using mostly citra for that tropical flavor. Need suggestions on hop schedule.
Here's the ingredients

3/4 lb Munich 1/2 lb Crystal 1/4 Carapils 1/4 lb Wheat..... I have 6 oz of Citra and 1 oz of Chinook. Using Wyeast 1056. Also dry hopping. Any suggestions for hop schedule would be appreciated.

Don't use the chinook if you want a single hop but maybe I would use the chinook early to bitter then flavor with citra. I'd use a program or web site to play around with the hop sched. I use beer smith. Are you more interested in bitterness or flavor/aroma or both?

I wanted a little bitterness up front with a strong tropical aroma/ flavor in the finish. That's why I got 1 oz of Chinook for the start.

I would start with shooting for a 1:1 ratio for BU:GU or bittering units to gravity units (ie 75 IBU for a 1.075 OG beer). I would make sure to add hops in increments from 30 minutes to flameout, and include at least 2 oz for dry hopping if you're going to do that. I am happy my IPAs and I usually add at 30 or 20, 15, 10, 5 and at flameout. I agree with using hte chinook as your 60 minute addition.

1oz Citra 15m
1oz Citra 10m
1oz Citra 5m
1oz Citra flameout
Let steep for 45m then cool
2oz Citra dryhop 5 days

Back