Help with hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brother's 50th birthday is just over a month away. I'm making per his request, an IPA around 7.5% and he wants a tropical fruit bomb. I need help with the hop selection and schedule though as I'm sure how to get the most aroma with just enough bitterness. I want to make sure our wifes will drink it. I'm thinking a small addition of warrior at 60 for bittering. Im thinking Pineapple, Mango, Papaya and stone fruit. A little dankness wouldnt be terrible, I just dont want it to be a palette killer. Novo Brazil Brewing - Bossa Haze is a beer very similar to what I'm aiming for. Below is a photo of the beer. Hazy, juicy and delicious.
20200510_082244.jpg

Galaxy, Citra and Mosaic cant go wrong with those, I would skip the warrior and do all late editions.
remember to dry hop maybe stagger them 7 day and a 5 day.
yeast i would use London fog or a Kveik strain and ferment it warm, i think some people use S-04 sometimes for hazy IPA's
add some wheat in the grain bill and maybe some flaked oats.

My last few NEIPAs I've used
Magnum .25 oz @60
Mosaic .5oz @10
Amarillo 1oz @5
Galaxy 1oz flame out

.5 oz each of Mo , Am & Ga- at 170 f for 20-30 min

Then I dry hop with those same 3 .
I use GY054 and it's definitely a juice Bomb . Citra and Mandarin Bavarian are good as well.

Here is the grain bill
10 lbs pale malt 2 row
5 lbs pale malt MO
1/4 lb honey Malt
1 lb flaked wheat
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb flaked barley
Rice hulls

Mash 60 @153°F
.5 Warrior @60

Flameout: 3 oz mozaic
2 oz citra, azacca, amarillo

Day 3: 2oz mozaic, citra, azacca, amarillo

Day 7: 1oz mozaic, citra, azacca, amarillo

Day 14: 1 oz mozaic, citra, azacca

I picked up two different yeast strains. Imperial Juice and Imperial Julius. Most other yeasts that I picked out were out of stock.

Im going to ferment on the high end and hopefully get some juicy awesomeness

Any of those posted combos above will be killer. Just about any hop ratio you come up with will be awesome. As long as they are all flameout and dry hop additions.

I brewed a NEIPA around 7.0% for my wedding a few years ago: Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo. 12 oz of hops for a 5 gallon batch. It was amazing and everyone crushed through it.

Have fun with it!

I may have over purchased hops for this brew. I ended up with the following schedule for hops, but I may back off on the dry hops. I'm on day 5 from brew day.

I hit my PH and temps on the nose, but unfortunately I over sparge, and then overcompensated on my boil. So I have only 5 gallons in the 6.5 gallon fermenter. Also, I left the honey malt out.

I also did get my hands on Hornindal for this brew.

.5 Warrior @60

.5 oz Mozaic @ 20

Flameout: 1.5 oz mozaic
1 oz citra, azacca, amarillo

Day 2: 1oz mozaic, citra, azacca, amarillo

Day 14: 1 oz mozaic, citra, azacca, Amarillo

So do I need to back off or do I need to move forward as planned?

We have a hop here in South Africa that'll fit your IPA perfectly, if you can find it. It used to be called U1/108 during it's experimental phase, but they officially renamed it to "Southern Tropic" a few months ago. It works great as a bittering and flavour/aroma hop, and I made the exact beer you're describing only for a lower ABV (around 3.5% ABV).

The hop's profile is here: Southern Tropic (U1/108) – 2019 – ZA Hops

It's pretty nice. I used it initially as the bittering hop in a "light lager" I tried to make, but ended up converting it into a light IPA-styled beer because I wanted to feel the tropical flavours of this hop. I used a bit just as bittering (adjust according to what you want), and then as dry-hopping after primary for a few days before bottling. It's a great beer, and I love it, purely because of the hop.

Day 14: 1 oz mozaic, citra, azacca, Amarillo
I would compress the time frame for those additions. ^
Once your fermentation starts slowing down, add your first load of dry hops, and 3 days later the 2nd load.
Keg the batch 3 days later.

You probably know this, keep O2 (air) well away from this beer at all times.

What are you fermenting in? I see you're already on day 5, so this may not help, but if you don't have a way to purge well with CO2 or otherwise greatly limit oxygen exposure I would not do multiple post fermentation dry hop additions. In fact, I would probably do none, and do your entire dry hop at the tail end of fermentation.

I did a Lawsons Sip of Sunshine clone once back when I was fermenting in carboys. It called for like 2 or 3 dry hop additions post fermentation. That thing was oxidized like crazy when I finally got to drinking it.

In terms of hops varieties what you used looks good. Simcoe is another good one for fruit. I recently did one with Simcoe including some cryo in the dry hop and that thing was a tropical fruit bomb.

I'm fermenting in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I do have a cap and a racking cane to flush CO2 with, so I'm going to try to transfer under pressure to the keg. It's still bubbling away at day 5, every few seconds.

I'm fermenting in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I do have a cap and a racking cane to flush CO2 with, so I'm going to try to transfer under pressure to the keg. It's still bubbling away at day 5, every few seconds.
Purging and closed transfer is good. These heavily dry hopped styles are so prone to oxidation. A lot of people fret over their grist or hop selection but then have a sloppy process, which makes the recipe mostly meaningless.

Since you have access to CO2, flush that headspace with CO2 each time after opening the fermenter. Or device something so you can stream in CO2 while doing dry hop additions.

When transfering to a keg be careful with the pressure you apply, 1-2 psi is plenty, let gravity do most of the job.
If you're not doing this already, transfer into a 100% liquid pre-purged kegs, through the liquid out post. The lid remains on until the next cleaning. Keep that air well away from your precious beer.

I haven't had time to keg this until yesterday, due to life, so it sat for a few days in the fermenter. I soaked a hop bag in starsan for a couple of hours, loaded up with hops, then placed that in the keg and purged with co2. I have a stainless mesh doohickey on the end of my dip tube to prevent hop matter from getting into the pour as well. I tried to transfer under pressure, however all of my dry hopping left behind hop matter that clogged my keg connections. However, after transferring, this beer has a nice tropical fruit explosion and a nice dankness to it. I can't wait to tap it on Saturday.

So, this recipe was amazing. I had a lot of trouble with the popits getting clogged with hop material initially, so I need a solution for that, however, this was one of the better IPA's I've had. I would maybe do a whole ounce at 60 mins, since there was very little bitterness. But wow, easily the best beer I've made, it was gone in no time, dangerous stuff.

Last edited:
Back