Help with hop tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog68

Reaction score
What's up homies? OK, i am kind of embarrased to admit this, but i forgot to add hops to my last batch of beer i brewed :drunk: Luckily,it was only a five gallon batch. Anyway, anyone out there ever made a hop tea and added it to the fermenter? I can't remember where i read about this, so i figured i would start here.

You can buy pre-made hop resin from some homebrewing shops.

As for the hop tea, you would have to boil it for an hour to get bitterness and then much longer to reduce it to a decent volume... its gonna be a Crapshoot.

whats up reddog, understand i've never done this but i heard about using hops in a french press coffee maker to make hop tea. you are supposed to be able to use this method instead of dry hopping. i can only imagine the aroma that comes from the tea:drunk: i doubt it will add any bitterness at all. but for aroma and flavor it should do the trick.

Lemon, Lemmon....I dont know how to spell his name but the guys @ www.basicbrewing.com talk about this guy in their Dry Hopping 6 Pack IPA video podcast when referencing a hop tea. Maybe that will lead you in the right direction for answers replacing the boil.

I made a tea using 4-5 feral hops in a tea bag trying to figure out what they were. Steeped it for about 10 minutes and drank. I have no idea what type of hops I picked but the tea was most definitely bitter.

Back