Help with hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
I'm brewing up an IPA for a wedding. I've only done a couple in the past, so I wanted some advice on my hop schedule.

It is a 10 gallon batch, and I have the following hops on hand:
2lbs belma
4oz simcoe
4oz mosaic
4oz nelson sauvin
4oz citra
2oz amarillo

my grain bill is as follows:
18lbs maris otter
2lbs white wheat malt
2lbs munich (10L)
2lbs victory

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm brewing up an IPA for a wedding. I've only done a couple in the past, so I wanted some advice on my hop schedule.

It is a 10 gallon batch, and I have the following hops on hand:
2lbs belma
4oz simcoe
4oz mosaic
4oz nelson sauvin
4oz citra
2oz amarillo

my grain bill is as follows:
18lbs maris otter
2lbs white wheat malt
2lbs munich (10L)
2lbs victory

Any help would be appreciated.
Fwh 2oz citra
Bitter 1 oz simcoe
1oz mosaic @20
1oz amarillo.@20
1oz simcoe @0
1oz amarillo @0
1oz mosaic @0
2oz citra @dry hop
2oz mosaic @dry hop

Thanks for the feedback.

I can pick up something else for bittering. Any reason why you chose those?

I think it brings out the best characteristics of each variety, those combinations are also excellent together

Simcoe is not the best bittering, but was the best of what you listed, an ounce of warrior would be my first choice for the bitter addition

A lot of flavor, similar to 20 minute addition, I tried it a few brews back, and will do it every time now. I think it smooths out the bittering, and adds depth to the hop flavor profile. I am doing it with all hoppy beers from now on. The bittering isn't as high as the full boil, as I recall reading it's due to the time spent steeping at the low temperatures before the start of the boil. I believe the ibu contribution is also similar to that of a 20 minute addition.

I would not use citra as FWH, it can get kinda catty when in the boil for long periods and is best saved for end of the boil. use the belma for bittering, its clean, cheap, plentiful & high AA (at least mine is). i'm not sure what kinda crowd this wedding will be, but i'd go with something like this (may be overly fruity, but figure that will work well for general public)

3oz belma @60 or FWH (or whatever hits your IBU needs, I'd go about 1:1 with OG)
0.5oz each citra/nelson/mosaic @15
1oz each citra/nelson/mosaic @5
1oz each citra/nelson/mosaic @post-boil hop steep
1.5oz each citra/nelson/mosaic @ Dry hop

I would not use citra as FWH, it can get kinda catty when in the boil for long periods and is best saved for end of the boil. use the belma for bittering, its clean, cheap, plentiful & high AA (at least mine is). i'm not sure what kinda crowd this wedding will be, but i'd go with something like this (may be overly fruity, but figure that will work well for general public)

3oz belma @60 or FWH (or whatever hits your IBU needs, I'd go about 1:1 with OG)
0.5oz each citra/nelson/mosaic @15
1oz each citra/nelson/mosaic @5
1oz each citra/nelson/mosaic @post-boil hop steep
1.5oz each citra/nelson/mosaic @ Dry hop

Interesting comment about citra. I thought that any hop could be used to bitter without adding flavors.

I think I'll probably skip the FWH idea as I've not done it yet and don't want to do an experiment for a wedding brew.

AgentHubcap said:
Interesting comment about citra. I thought that any hop could be used to bitter without adding flavors.

I think I'll probably skip the FWH idea as I've not done it yet and don't want to do an experiment for a wedding brew.

I too find citra catty when bittering with it. Much better as aroma and dry hops.

Back