Help with Freezer Chest temp control with Johnson A419

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I currently have a 5.2 cubic feet freezer chest along with a Johnson A419 temp regulator.

I'm having issues getting the temp of the fermenting vessel to stay a consistent temp.

I have trying different setting like differential on the controller but not having much luck.

Is anyone else using this setup? How do you set it up to maintain a certain temp?

Currently I'm trying to get the vessel to stay around 62 degrees for my upcoming pale ale.

Currently I'm just using water to try and understand the affects of the setup.

Any help?

Matt

I just make sure the probe s attached to the fermentor and is insulated for the air. I use ace bandages and some packing foam to do that. The amount of wort will create more thermal mass as well leading to less shift in temp. Also make sure you set the control to kill the compressor if there is a probe failure...otherwise your have a frozen mess...

First be sure the jumper settings inside the unit are correct for cooling and cut-in (see instructions). I usually set my temp differential at 2 degrees. Also set the freezer's thermostat at its coldest setting.

In winter, I use the controller on the heat wrap and ferment in my cold basement. In summer I use it on the freezer out in my hot garage. Spring and fall are sometimes tricky in CT when the ambient air temp in my unheated garage is near, and sometimes below, my temp setting for the control unit. I've had times when I pitched at something like 68F and put it in the freezer with a setting of 64F. It then cools the fermenter down to 62 or so and it never bounces back up because ambient temp is mid-60s in daytime and 50s at night. In general, I try to avoid having to ferment near ambient temperature.

Back