help with fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJMIKEUS

Reaction score
1/14...1.046 OG
1/21 1.020 rack to secondary
2/10 still 1.020
2/15/07... 1.018

was told to add yeast energizer (id carlson) waited over a day nothing started.... was told to add another packet of yeast....(muntons)....(done on 2/11) .. got some bubbling once ever 3 min or so.... and is still not doing anything.

My temp has not been below 65... I have a dig therm on outside of carboy....and I have near wood burning stove... higherst it got to was 81......

My gravity today is 1.018

Im at a loss.... or is my batch at a loss......

Hope someone has a good tip..... do i keep waiting...I just gave it a stirr this morning also....

Thanks In advance!!

Mike

What recipe? What yeast? What is your target gravity? Did you adjust your gravity readings for temperature?

1 can bierkeller light
1 can coopers light

1/2 lb 10l crystal grain

doric yeast...
hop1 oz cascade 1oz williamette 1 oz williamette

had no taget but the beer store said is should go down to 1.010

How did you process the crystal malt? Boiled? Steeped? Mashed?...I wouldn't think there would that much unfermentables from a 1/2 pound anyway. But...I'm not familiar with the extracts you used either. Maybe one of the Beer Gurus has an idea. There is chance that puppy is done after a month...

One of the things you have to watch out for is that you want to maintain steady temperatures, particularly during the initial vigorous ferment. I think your FG of 1.018 is probably fine, but if you're worried, take a hydro reading today and then another three days from now--if it's the same, you're done fermenting and it's safe to bottle.

Really the only repercussion from bottling too early is bottle bombs. But I think you should be ok. If not another few weeks in the secondary is going to be o.k. Have you tasted it? I don't have a program to see what your attenuation would be, maybe someone else can chime in with that answer. I've left "big" beers in the secondary for as long as 2 months. It only gets better as it ages.

rdwhahb.....loop

SJMIKEUS said:
what repercussions are there if its not done.....

Haha, well, if they're actively fermenting in the bottles, you can get some serious bottle bombs. Glass-shrapnel, beer everywhere, you get the idea. But it really does sound like you're finished--like I said though, if there's no change over three days according to the hydrometer, and you're careful to adjust your reading to temperature. Is the beer clear? No krausen on top? You should be fine, really. But wait another three days, take the reading, and make sure.

well guys started bubbling after i posted this... at least 1 bubble every 45 sec or so.... and is now slowing today sunday.....Im goin to take another hydrometer read and see how its changed... Hope Im lower than 1.020

Back