Help with extract/partial boil IBUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kealia

Reaction score
Guys,

I have some leftover ingredients from a purchase of supplies that I used to brew something for an office party so I want to use up the extracts that I have.

I'm not typically an extract brewer and I'm not up to snuff on some of the finer points of late additions and it's exact impact to IBUs so I'm looking for help.

Don't get me wrong, I know all the REASONS for late additions and that's not my question - it's the math.

Here's the recipe and plan:
3 gallon batch

1 lb light DME
2.5 lbs pilsner LME
1/4 lb munich LME
0.15 oz Magnum (14% AA) @ 60
0.25 oz citra (12% AA) @ 15
0.25 oz citra dry hop

Plan:
Boil 3 gallons water with the 1 lb DME. This gives me a gravity of 1.012 for the boil and based on the calculators and math that I can find I should get 17 - 19 IBUS from the Magnum addition (depending on which calculator used).

At 15-minutes left I plan on adding all of the LME and topping back off to 3 gallons so my gravity should be ~1.047 at that point. With my citra addition at 15 I should get roughly 9 IBUs from that.

So in total, the final count should be about 26 - 28 IBUs for the Blonde Ale which is what I'm shooting for.

I plugged this into BrewSmith with the late LME additions and got 26. When I ran it through some old-school math and online calculators by Tinseth I get 28 (close enough either way).

I just want to make sure that I didn't screw something up as I went through this. It's definitely out of my comfort zone so I'd like some help from the extract/partial boil guys.

The only other time I did an extract/late addition batch I was following a BYO clone recipe and I could never get the IBUs right.

Thanks.

Back