help with dry malt belgium ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradiswhoibe

Reaction score
So Ive decided to brew my own beer and have picked this recipe
http://hopville.com/recipe/426097/i...ing-dog-raging-*****-clone-2010-12-06-version
its is supposed to be a flying dog raging ***** clone. (Let me know what you think)

My main question is do I have to add sugar to this recipe and if so when do I add it also when d hopping when do I start right after I put it in the carboy or 5 days after thanks for the info also let me know what you think about the recipe

the link doesnt work

the sugar can be added during the boil or during fermentation

id give it at least a few days after active fermentation has finished to dry hop it. that way more yeast has settled out and wont strip any of the aroma from the hops.

Evidently the entire hopville site is down, but I managed to look at the google cached version of your recipe and it looks fine for the most part... Here is the cached recipe for other's reference - http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...lnk&gl=us&client=safari&source=www.google.com .

I brewed a Bergamot Belgian IPA a few earlier this year that was loosely based on Raging ***** and it turned out well, but I did a few different things to accommodate the Bergamot (essential oil that comes from a bitter orange, which is what gives Earl Grey tea its distinctive aroma and flavor). First, I would reduce the quantity of Crystal malt that you are using by 8 oz, as that is a lot... Here's what I did for my base on a 2.5 gallon batch:
US 2-Row Malt 1lb 0oz 16.7 % In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt 8.00 oz 8.3 % In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 8.00 oz 8.3 % In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Light Liquid Malt Extract 4lb 0oz 66.7 % Start Of Boil

As you can see, I wanted to steep some 2 row in the beer and went with Carapils to increase the head retention as the essential oils that I added would definitely reduce that. If you want to go with sugar, I would add at the end of the boil. It sounds like you want the sugar to dry it out more. Also, I went with the White Labs WLP400-Belgian Wit Ale yeast because I knew that the citrus peel and essential oils that I was adding would add a lot of the fruity notes and I didn't want the yeast character to overpower it. At first I was concerned that I should have gone with a yeast like you, but after aging for a few weeks, am very happy with the combo. I ended up coming in low on the OG, but the beer turned out really well... So, good luck and keep us posted!

Back