Help with dented corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northcal

Reaction score
Finally had enough of my ugly duckling that always seems to make it's way to the beer.

Filling up two cornies tonight and of course the one with the dented lid seal is on deck.

Usually I can get it to seal with high pressure and holding it tight, but not tonight. Blew beer all over my kegerator and need to fix it or get it gone. Ended up transferring to a good keg.

ops2vo.jpg

Is there a way to straighten the lip? Or should I just salvage parts and scrap it? Any ideas appreciated.

Here are some pics of the dented lip:

2vnrgy8.jpg

2462gau.jpg

2wnbnuu.jpg

If you have access to both sides of the material you could try using a dead-blow hammer and wooden block. That lip may need to worked with a ball-peen hammer on the inside but use some scrap leather, denim, or similar material to prevent impregnating the stainless with carbon steel. Or find some round stock that matches the inside radius of that lip and peen it from the outside.

Inspect carefully for cracks. Use a powerful flashlight at different angles around the repaired area.

Dye penetrant test would be ideal. A PT kit will consist of a cleaner, penetrant, and developer. Apply cleaner to a lint free rag and wipe surface. Apply a thin coat of penetrant and wait 10 to 20 min. The colder it is the longer it takes. Apply cleaner to rag and remove penetrant. Do not spray cleaner directly on the surface. Apply a thin coat of developer and wait another 10 to 20 min. Examine closely.

If you use a torch to heat the material the stainless will pick up carbon.

Willy,

I live really close to you, as in your town!

Can I drop it off?

Not sure I can hammer it from the inside as it is a tight fit though.

If you have access to both sides of the material you could try using a dead-blow hammer and wooden block. That lip may need to worked with a ball-peen hammer on the inside but use some scrap leather, denim, or similar material to prevent impregnating the stainless with carbon steel. Or find some round stock that matches the inside radius of that lip and peen it from the outside.

Inspect carefully for cracks. Use a powerful flashlight at different angles around the repaired area.

Dye penetrant test would be ideal. A PT kit will consist of a cleaner, penetrant, and developer. Apply cleaner to a lint free rag and wipe surface. Apply a thin coat of penetrant and wait 10 to 20 min. The colder it is the longer it takes. Apply cleaner to rag and remove penetrant. Do not spray cleaner directly on the surface. Apply a thin coat of developer and wait another 10 to 20 min. Examine closely.

If you use a torch to heat the material the stainless will pick up carbon.

Not sure I can hammer it from the inside as it is a tight fit though.

Have you tried a silicon o-ring for the lid? They're considerably softer and might seal up better. You could partially remove the dent with channel lock pliers. Then with a softer o-ring might get it to seal.

You could also use a c-clamp to "press" the dent out.

That "could " work, but you would also need a "radius block", to match the existing radii.
Probably a male and female one, they can be made of wood, ( a hardwood, such as maple),and sand them so they sit squarely in the C-clamp jaws.

As someone above mentioned, you could use a small piece of steel round stock, of the diameter that matches the radius, against a female " die" made of wood.

As they stated above, put something between the mild steel, and the stainless, prior to pressing or hammering on it.

It's doable.

Im sure if he scrounged around in the garage for a bit he could find something that would work to help smooth that dent out. But Im an ex-mechanic and woodworker so I've got all kinds of tools and gadgets laying around. Since he said it seals some times, a new softer seal may be all he needs (for a dollar or two its certainly worth a try).

Hey thanks for the great ideas guys!

I didn't know there are silicon O rings made. I bet that would seal like a champ.

I also do have some hardwood dowels out in the garage that could help reform the lip.

I'll let you know how it comes out,

:rockin:

Last edited:
I fix that all the time. I literally did one today. I use the end of a long socket wrench on the dent, then I use the other side of the handle for leverage and I pound down on the opposite side of the wrench.

I can do it with my hand most the time, but I use a mallet if needed.

I also have the over sized silicon rings. They work too since they're larger and softer material. But every one I've done worked with a regular ring after I used the wrench. I always clean it well and use keg lube too.

image.jpg

I'll be at the brew supplier at 12 noon tomorrow to get caps. If you haven't got 'er fixed we could discuss it over a malted beverage.

Thanks! I have other plans though, another time for sure.

I did attempt to bend it back into shape, and it worked to some extent, I need to test the seal now.

Back